Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 14:52   #1
Team-BHP Support

MH RTO to offer Learners' License test online

Quote:
- As per the Maharashtra state order on June 8, individuals applying for learner’s licences will need to provide their Aadhaar card number before giving the online test from home.

- The test will consist of a few online videos on road safety, followed by a quiz where one has to answer at least 60 percent of the questions correctly.

- Those who clear the test will be able to download/print their learner’s licence on their own.
Quote:
They added that this will be formally inaugurated “in the next two-three days”.
A good move on paper. But,

Quote:
The new facilities will “weed out illegal agents, reduce corruption, reduce footfalls at RTOs, save time and money of citizens, decrease burden on staff and bring huge socio-economic benefits,” according to Dhakane.
I don't think this move will do any good on the above concerns. It is very likely that people will just flock to agents to get this done online. There are (were, pre-Covid) at least two vans parked outside Pune RTO all day with agents equipped with laptops, printers and all forms to get your work done.

The only hassle this will save you is a day or two wasted at RTO getting this test done.

Overall, to Gadkari and the Ministry to bring about a radical change in how these Departments function.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...w-7008211.html
libranof1987 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 15:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: MH RTO to offer Learners' License test online

This will make absolutely no difference towards eradicating the middle men, it will be as you said. People going to the middle men will still do so, only now it will cost more for doing it this way. With this rule the middle men will make more money.

The few people who were giving the test on their own at the RTO and now doing so from home (Internet cafe etc) will be able to get help from wherever they are. Cheating made even easier and more money to the middle men.

Genuinely people will be benefited by the convenience for sure, but advantage - the other side.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 15:57   #3
BHPian

My brother-in-law took the LL test a few weeks ago in Kerala and it was completely online. Apparently, it has been online there for some time now.

I had noticed the online test option in the Sarathi portal but the login credentials were provided in RTO offices at least in Karnataka.
gischethans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 21:50   #4
BHPian

I got my learners license in January,2021 (Punjab) and the process was a bit complicated although I managed to get it done without any agent.

First had to fill in the details on the "Sarathi" portal, followed by printing of the documents.

Then had to get the Medical done by a doctor.

After that, had to attach it with rest of the forms and took an appointment through the website itself of nearest Sewa Kendra.

The staff was not really aware of the exact process, had to explain them how I myself got the forms filled without any agent!
The guy said I am the first one in last 3 years of his experience there to get it done by myself

He objected that I had not attached my Blood Test report and rejected my file. I tried to explain him there is nowhere written on the website but he was not open to listen to my arguments (typical sarkaari kaam).

Then I again went there with my blood report attached but now he again objected and said I have not attached "Self Declaration Form Punjab". Although "Self Declaration" form which was obtained from the website was duly attached but he said the former is also necessary (which again had no mention on the website).
I asked him where to get that and he gave me a phone number of some agent and asked me to get it from him (I understood he won't accept my file without it being applied by an agent). But I refused to involve any agent and asked him to guide me through official channel only. He seemed a bit uncomfortable with that but after 5 minutes himself gave me that form and asked me to fill it (Now it was clear they had some commission and stuff with the agents).

Anyway I filled it on the spot and submitted it to him.

He then verified through official portal of theirs and gave me a date to come and give the test.

The test was on a computer in the sewa kendra itself and I got 9/10 in the test. 3 questions were really tough out of which 2 I could get away with tukka and got 1 wrong. The question was:-
If drunken driving is detected, the driver is liable to be punished with
a. Imprisonment upto 6 months or ₹1000 fine or both
b. Imprisonment upto 1 year or ₹2000 fine or both
c. 2 years imprisonment
The answer was a. but I had ticked b.
(I am not sure if these are the updated ones since these fines got 10 times more expensive last year, so even I was not wrong , )

Regarding this new thing that now one can give this test from home is a good initiative but the process before the test involves multiple visits to the RTO or a single visit to an agent. So now you have 1 reduced visit to the RTO and easier chance to cheat and get 10/10 in the test!

Regards
Ranvir
Rambo-RS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 08:48   #5
BHPian

It's easy to weed out these middle men crooks if the RTO wants. All they need to do is to build a logic in their systems which track inbound IP address, if the same IP address connects for 5 or more learner's licence application/test, block the IP suspecting an agent.
Old 12th June 2021, 10:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Govt has done a good job of elimination of bribing by going online for learner's license. All the rules and laws are available online and has all information to study and pass the test is available for people. In spite of all these, If people want to go to agents and pay to get learning license instead of learning the rules, it is their irresponsible attitude.

Government can implement strict validations to avoid agents. But why should Government do favours for people with such an attitude towards getting LL through agents? It is people who have to think and develop themselves to be sincere and responsible. You can take the horse to water but can not make it drink.

Last edited by gkveda : 12th June 2021 at 10:03.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 23:50   #7
BHPian

Don't understand the rant about middlemen, I have renewed my passport twice and did it without any issues. It's a change and people who are familiar with online forms and transactions would do it effortlessly. As for others it's a matter of time and they will also become familiar, especially when forms can be filled in local language. This is a welcome change in the right direction and looking forward to similar process across all Government offices.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 09:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

I tried to check on the feasibility of learner's license for my family member, but seems that the function has been stopped for Maharashtra. I was greeted with the below prompt.

Services are temporarily disabled for you selected state / Yet to be enabled.

Anybody else with similar observations? What is the way forward then? Visit to the RTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks