Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2021, 11:29   #16
BHPian

Re: XUV300: I converted the lap-belt to a *safer* 3-point seatbelt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Actually, this applies even to non foldable ones. If the top anchor point is not mounted properly this whole system is actually extremely dangerous!

But most likely the only proper way to mount is to use the original method/anchor points.

Jeroen
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
A very good point indeed! As pointed out, all points except this one are indeed bolted directly to the body frame. This point is bolted to the steel sheet welded to the steel seat frame.

I think there must have been some research done before putting the anchor point on the seat frame. I just tried to find out a few cars which have a similar arrangement - VW GTI (sold in EU), VW Tiguan and Skoda superb, for instance, showed similar setup. The Ssangyong Tivoli obviously has this setup. However, not all seats would be able to bear the load - for example, the seat back panel in Brezza is made of compressed wood and bolted to the frame.
XUV300: I converted the lap-belt to a *safer* 3-point seatbelt!-img20210713wa0001.jpg

Ideally, should come from the body frame as in the Innova Crysta shown.

The next best is from the seat, if built for it. Obviously, it was deemed to be good enough as it was there earlier and also in the ones selling in South Africa.

It would still be better than the lap belt which resulted in spinal injury leading to paralysis in the US mandating all seats to have 3 point seat belt from 2006.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ug...us-even-deadly

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/your-cars-dangerous-seat/

Ultimately, it boils down to the risk/benefit ratio. The 3 point is better than lap belt which is better than no belt.
Duckdoc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 12:44   #17
BHPian

Thank you Goandiaries for this!

I enquired about this to the service center and they had no clue about how to fit one. As per them, I was the first person to ever have such a request. He also showed the parts ordered in Sireesh Auto (overall Bangalore) and only one unit of the center seat belt assembly has EVER been ordered. So clearly no one has ever thought of this conversion which is quite sad indeed. :(

Your thread piqued interest for them and one of the Service Advisors has picked it up as project to study how this fitting is done in older versions of XUV300 and review the assembly SOPs. This is so that the same can be replicated to my car. Hope he sticks to his word.

But in any case, based on the current prices the parts would cost somewhere around Rs. 2300, still quite an affordable mod which is wayy better than a lap belt.

My only worry is whether they have removed the OEM mounting points and the foam cut outs by any chance. Mine as an Oct’21 manufactured vehicle, so nearly 1 year after the initial deprecation.

Fingers crossed. Will report back if those points are still there.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 26th November 2022 at 12:47.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 17:16   #18
BHPian

I don't think there will be an issue if you can get hold of the parts as I got it done in July last year having bought the 300 in March that year as shown in this post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5149000 (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review)

It was a lot of effort and multiple mails and calls with dealer and Mahindra, so one has to decide whether it's worth the trouble, at least I thought it was.
Old 5th September 2023, 18:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Thank you Goandiaries for this!

Your thread piqued interest for them and one of the Service Advisors has picked it up as project to study how this fitting is done in older versions of XUV300 and review the assembly SOPs. This is so that the same can be replicated to my car. Hope he sticks to his word.
Hey Krishna,
Did you hear back from your SA? What happened to his project?

Quote:
My only worry is whether they have removed the OEM mounting points and the foam cut outs by any chance. Mine as an Oct’21 manufactured vehicle, so nearly 1 year after the initial deprecation.

Fingers crossed. Will report back if those points are still there.
Mine too is an Oct'21 manufactured vehicle. Have you checked if those points are still there? I am worried because I've ordered the parts and expecting the delivery in sometime end of this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdoc View Post
I don't think there will be an issue if you can get hold of the parts as I got it done in July last year having bought the 300 in March that year as shown in this post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5149000 (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review)

It was a lot of effort and multiple mails and calls with dealer and Mahindra, so one has to decide whether it's worth the trouble, at least I thought it was.
Hey Duckdoc,

Can you please share some detailed pictures if you have done the mod too.
Old 5th September 2023, 18:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamYogi View Post
Hey Krishna,
Did you hear back from your SA? What happened to his project?

I am worried because I've ordered the parts and expecting the delivery in sometime end of this month.
I didn’t follow up with the SA on this and obviously I didn’t expect them to close loop with me.

However, I did have a meetup with Goandiaries a couple of months ago and we checked out my car. All the mounting points are available so there is nothing to worry. You should be able to fix it.

From our discussion only one thing came out as a point of contention. The seat belt faces a bit of friction while pulling and also while retracting. Therefore, the belt doesn’t automatically slide/retract back into position once unbuckled. That is, the operation isn’t very smooth.

We are not really sure what is causing this. Our current theory is that there is likely a plastic guide inside the seat frame through which the belt is supposed to go which is probably missing in the lap belt variant seats.

The mod is still lower on the priority for me since the car is at max used by 4 people at a time. Please do update us if you’re able to find a fix for the friction on the belt.
Old 14th September 2023, 11:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I didn’t follow up with the SA on this and obviously I didn’t expect them to close loop with me.
Guessed it Imagine if every SA from every ASC are so keen with their customers requests

Quote:
However, I did have a meetup with Goandiaries a couple of months ago and we checked out my car. All the mounting points are available so there is nothing to worry. You should be able to fix it.
Thanks you, I'll go ahead and do the mod.

Quote:
From our discussion only one thing came out as a point of contention. The seat belt faces a bit of friction while pulling and also while retracting. Therefore, the belt doesn’t automatically slide/retract back into position once unbuckled. That is, the operation isn’t very smooth.

We are not really sure what is causing this. Our current theory is that there is likely a plastic guide inside the seat frame through which the belt is supposed to go which is probably missing in the lap belt variant seats.
Or is it because of the single slit in the leather that is causing the friction? Just a hunch!!
Old 11th January 2024, 15:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

The three-point seatbelt appears to be back for the 2024 XUV400. Also now i-Size compatible, probably for GNCAP.
XUV300: I converted the lap-belt to a *safer* 3-point seatbelt!-img_7340.jpeg
Source: ACI
Old 11th January 2024, 15:42   #23
BANNED

It is unfortunate that Mahindra, who claims to be a pioneer of safety, is cutting corners on such basic things as 3-point seatbelts. There are other ways to cut costs, and replacing a 3-point seatbelt with a lap belt isn't one of them. It's commendable that you prioritized safety over other modifications.
Polo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks