Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2021, 18:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector NCAP safety rating to be revealed soon

MG has posted on Twitter that it will be revealing the Hector's NCAP safety rating soon. The Hector's main rival, the Kia Seltos, secured a 3-star safety rating. The Tata Harrier is yet to receive a GNCAP rating.

MG Hector NCAP safety rating to be revealed soon-hector-1.jpeg

The Hector is available as a 5-seater, while the Hector Plus is offered as a 6-seater and a 7-seater. It is offered with a host of safety aides including 6 airbags, ABS with EBD and brake assist, traction control, hill hold assist among others.

The SUV is powered by a 168 BHP, 2.0-litre diesel engine paired with a 6-speed manual transmission, a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine producing 141 BHP and 250 Nm mated to 6-speed manual gearbox, DCT, and a CVT, as well as a 1.5-litre mild-hybrid powertrain paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Name:  Hector 2.png
Views: 4631
Size:  73.5 KB

MG Hector NCAP safety rating to be revealed soon-hector-3.jpeg

MG Hector NCAP safety rating to be revealed soon-hector-4.jpeg

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 18:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MG Hector NCAP safety rating to be revealed soon

I really hope they are testing the diesel 2L from FCA, it will give a good idea about the crash-test rating of the Compass, Harrier and Safari diesels along with it! Considering the 2L diesel has the reservoir tank right behind the ABC pedals in RHD configuration.

Although my inner self believes the crash test will be conducted on the 1.5L turbo petrol Hector

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 16th July 2021 at 18:41.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 18:43   #3
BHPian

Hector is sold as Chevrolet Captiva in Latin America. It got 5 star ratings in LNCAP. I am very much confident that it will get 4 stars in Euro NCAP. The car is solid inside out. I know of an accident where the driver crashed it in a wall at about 50-60 kmph and came alive (he was not wearing a seatbelt )
Dhillon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 18:43   #4
BHPian

MG to welcome XUV 700 with a 5 star GNCAP rating?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
MG says Hector NCAP ratings will be out soon. Hoping for a 5 star rating as the car had similar rating in Chinese NCAP. A 5 star crash rating will help MG marketing team as the sales were affected a lot by increasing competition from SAFARI and also newer competitions to its daily bread petrol variants with ALCAZAR and Skoda KUSHAQ. Looks like MG will reveal the data around XUV 700 launch.

MGSupportIndia
TorqueIndia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 18:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
MG has posted on Twitter that it will be revealing the Hector's NCAP safety rating soon. The Hector's main rival, the Kia Seltos, secured a 3-star safety rating. The Tata Harrier is yet to receive a GNCAP rating.
Commendable. These guys sure know to stay in the news for all the right reasons!
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 19:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Although my inner self believes the crash test will be conducted on the 1.5L turbo petrol Hector
My same thought . I think they will test only petrol version like Jeep did with RHD ans extend the same to Diesel
greyhound82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 20:17   #7
rpm
BHPian

Will be an interesting one for sure. Will they create history by sending the first ever RHD 2.0 MJD for a test?

That said, I'm not sure how a mango man like me is supposed to discern which engine was tested just by looking at the crash video and crash pdf. I'm praying that the big media houses and auto journos have us covered in this regard. This small yet significant detail is a very crucial piece of the puzzle for some of us BHPians.
rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 21:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

This will be an interesting test indeed, and for a number of reasons - the public has generally low expectations of safety from a car that is technically Chinese - but there's a catch: the Hector is also the new Chevrolet Captiva for Latin America, and Chevrolet has consistently been producing generally high ratings in Latin America in recent years since Latin NCAP was extremely critical of their performance in older tests and even challenged Marry Barra in a way similar to what they did with Carlos Ghosn for Nissan-Datsun in India. Then there's the speculation of footwell collapse because of the 2.0MJD engine - unfortunately, it's not highly likely at all that Global NCAP will test a diesel variant. The Hector's test perfectly qualifies as 'unknown territory' since absolutely no assumptions can be made about its outcome.

What's welcome is that MG is actively acknowledging the existence of an NCAP in India on their Twitter handle, unlike manufacturers that think of it as a 'third party' or those who 'decline to comment on the topic' and go so far as to not recommend child restraints for the test. This could (not necessarily) mean that either the test has already been conducted, or it will be in the near future and MG is confident of the result (again, just a speculation). EDIT: Alas, MG seems to have deleted the Tweet.

I just hope MG goes all the way and bags the full five stars or at least a high 4 stars, and not just a score that crosses 4 stars by a bare margin with a ton of modifiers (structure/footwell/concentrated loading) applied. Then again, its hottest competitor barely scored 3 stars which really seems impossible to go under for a car of this class even if the manufacturer tried. If MG scores well, it's all the more pressure on Škoda (for the Kushaq) to do well too, which I hope they do because anything else will be a shame for a manufacturer with their history.

This is also an important test since it's likely the last round of tests under the good old protocol that has served #SaferCarsForIndia well since way back since the first crash tests of Indian cars back in 2013. Star ratings from next year will likely not be comparable to current ones.

Here's wishing the Hector and Kiger (and hopefully more) good luck in the tests.

Last edited by ron178 : 16th July 2021 at 21:49.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 10:24   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't know who or how MG's social media accounts are handled, but MG just responded saying that the tweet has been taken down. So this news might be true or untrue. No clue. We should wait for further developments.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 09:15   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

ron178 drops the following message:

Quote:
For those worried about this model's diesel engine's rumoured footwell intrusion, I've requested someone at Towards Zero Foundation to include the fuel type of the test car in the test report for future Global NCAP results. He took the feedback positively, but has yet to confirm whether it will be implemented.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks