Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2021, 10:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Mahindra silently removes driver knee airbag from XUV300 W8(O)

It's unfortunate that these silent feature deletions are taking place. Most likely done to keep the price in the same range and avoid an increase.
However, I'm not sure why people are concerned about the GNCAP rating being downgraded; anyone who has watched those crash test videos can clearly see only two airbags deployed and no curtain airbags deployed in the side impact test, indicating that they tested in W8, the two airbag variant.
Vijin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 12:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijin View Post
However, I'm not sure why people are concerned about the GNCAP rating being downgraded;
The XUV300 had a lot of optional equipment that took it above and beyond that 5-star Global NCAP rating, and the knee airbag and the fifth occupant restraints were some of them. Despite the NCAP rating not being affected, removal of safety equipment is never a good thing. That said, injury measures for the driver's knees in the 64km/h offset test were low even without the knee airbag.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 13:30   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
I see plenty of deal breakers with the XUV300:

1. overstressed engines may cause long-term reliability problems. Some of those gains are anyways wiped out by the higher rotating mass from the "best-in-class" 17-inch alloys.
2. least-in-segment ground clearance of 180mm is less than the Kwid and on par with my Nano.
3. pair that with a longest-in-segment wheelbase of 2600mm = poor breakover angles
4. smallest-in-segment boot space
1.) I don't know how you arrived at the conclusion that the XUV 3OO's engine is "overstressed". A 1.2L GDI engine producing 130-140bhp is not a lot in the contemporary world. Surely, you are not a proponent of an era when the 1.8L engines of the yore produced 40-60 bhp?

2.) I believe Mahindra uses a different method of measuring GC than other manufacturers. Moreover, AFAIK, 180mm should be adequate for a crossover (which it along with every other car in its segment barring the Bolero Neo is).

3.) That 2600mm wheelbase translates into cabin space which is equal to (if not larger than) the Seltos and Creta's of the world. You win some you lose some. Anyways, 2.6 metres is large relative to the segment and not in isolation, people have conquered Spiti/Ladakh in Ciaz and what not. I don't think you are going to have a problem with the 3OO anywhere.

4.) Agreed

That being said, with regard to point 2, with the government pushing E-12/E-15 fuels, I believe that all these high output GDI engines will be hit the most as GDI engines have been known to misbehave when run on ethanol blended fuel. That is why, despite the atrociously VFM and powerful 2.0L MStallion of the XUV 7OO, I would recommend everyone to get the diesel (even if they do not care about FE) just for the sake of peace of mind.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 14:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
I have booked today and will i get it with 7 Airbags or 6 airbags as today I got a call from the Mahindra and they told me that still, it shows 7 airbags on the website so you will get 7 airbags. Any suggestions or comments on this please?
I highly doubt that will be the case. All vehicles have a waiting period of 4 to 6 weeks, so it is very unlikely that you will get it with 7 airbags. If you get it, good. My booking was done on the top trim in Oct 2020 but 2 days before the delivery, my SA called up and told me that the heated ORVMs and 3 pointer seat belts for rear mid passenger is an omission. Turns out my car did not get them. The brochure was updated just a week before my delivery.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 16:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I highly doubt that will be the case. All vehicles have a waiting period of 4 to 6 weeks, so it is very unlikely that you will get it with 7 airbags. If you get it, good. My booking was done on the top trim in Oct 2020 but 2 days before the delivery, my SA called up and told me that the heated ORVMs and 3 pointer seat belts for rear mid passenger is an omission. Turns out my car did not get them. The brochure was updated just a week before my delivery.
If that is the case, Can I cancel my booking?
How much will I lose?
Can we complain to Mahindra that I have booked it because of 7 airbags as it shows 7 airbags while I was booking but at time of delivery it is changed so I don't want to buy it now?
Old 24th September 2021, 17:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much will I lose?
Can we complain to Mahindra that I have booked it because of 7 airbags as it shows 7 airbags while I was booking but at time of delivery it is changed so I don't want to buy it now?
I think you should speak to the dealer and take it in writing. You can choose not to take the delivery of your vehicle even after it arrives in the yard. The dealer generally cuts 10% as processing and will have to credit the balance back to your account in case of a cancellation.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 08:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
How much will I lose?
I hope I don't sound rude, but I would suggest you still go ahead with the car. I understand 6 instead of 7 isn't what you had hoped for, but it still is a solid package overall. 6 airbags is still well above the norm for the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
1.) I don't know how you arrived at the conclusion that the XUV 3OO's engine is "overstressed". A 1.2L GDI engine producing 130-140bhp is not a lot in the contemporary world. Surely, you are not a proponent of an era when the 1.8L engines of the yore produced 40-60 bhp?

2.) I believe Mahindra uses a different method of measuring GC than other manufacturers. Moreover, AFAIK, 180mm should be adequate for a crossover (which it along with every other car in its segment barring the Bolero Neo is).

3.) That 2600mm wheelbase translates into cabin space which is equal to (if not larger than) the Seltos and Creta's of the world. You win some you lose some. Anyways, 2.6 metres is large relative to the segment and not in isolation, people have conquered Spiti/Ladakh in Ciaz and what not. I don't think you are going to have a problem with the 3OO anywhere.

4.) Agreed

That being said, with regard to point 2, with the government pushing E-12/E-15 fuels, I believe that all these high output GDI engines will be hit the most as GDI engines have been known to misbehave when run on ethanol blended fuel. That is why, despite the atrociously VFM and powerful 2.0L MStallion of the XUV 7OO, I would recommend everyone to get the diesel (even if they do not care about FE) just for the sake of peace of mind.
1. I agree. I don't find this engine to be "overstressed" as such. Maybe the thought behind that belief is that it makes much more torque than most of its peers.
2. Is it so? I always found 180mm to be on the lower side for a C-SUV. That said, I am yet to scrape anywhere. And I've even driven my car on farm "roads". (calling them roads is an overstatement. Picture attached below.)
3. Totally! That wheelbase makes for great cabin space. So much so that we 4 could comfortably do a 1000km+ journey with 3 being 5'10" and above.

As for concerns about the GNCAP rating, number of airbags has any impact on the score only when a car has none. That nets a straight zero star rating. Which is why the VW Polo had a zero star rating for a brief window of time.
GNCAP tests the base variant/the variant with the most common set of safety features.
The current GNCAP score for the XUV3OO is for the 2 airbag variant, and not the 7 airbag one.

Scoop: Mahindra silently removes driver knee airbag from XUV300 W8(O)-img_7607.jpg

Last edited by ashishk29 : 25th September 2021 at 08:20. Reason: Added some additional info about GNCAP.
ashishk29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 21:05   #23
BHPian

Got this from Mahindra XUV300 Owners group on Facebook. Not so sure about it's authenticity, but if this is true, Mahindra is surely degrading value of the XUV300!

If this continues, Mahindra might start losing sales yet again even when it's been just a few months since the XUV has started gaining traction!
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Mahindra silently removes driver knee airbag from XUV300 W8(O)-screenshot_20210925201606_facebook.jpg  

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 25th September 2021 at 21:08.
theAutomaniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 11:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Got this from Mahindra XUV300 Owners group on Facebook. Not so sure about it's authenticity, but if this is true, Mahindra is surely degrading value of the XUV300!

If this continues, Mahindra might start losing sales yet again even when it's been just a few months since the XUV has started gaining traction!
I am now worried about what they'll do with Thar. For people whose CPD is sometime in 2022, this could be something to be concerned about. They could easily remove some of the features and raise the price even further; and buyers will have the Hobson's choice of either lumping it or cancelling their booking.

Cheers
tilt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 14:16   #25
BHPian

Spoke to someone from Mahindra, and he said he has no update about the airbag removal. It seems they usually get an update with chassis number details informing them that from this chassis number onwards the feature won't be available. This hasn't happened with the airbag apparently.
Old 15th October 2021, 14:23   #26
BHPian

What this car really needs is a facelift and a proper boot space.

Apart from no deletion of any features. Probably then it would justify the price tag.
Old 15th October 2021, 21:14   #27
BHPian

The features which made XUV300 unique and stand out from other cars are erased. Wow, Mahindra just Dig the grave of XUV300 themself.
No one can justify the deletion of features from W8(o) Autoshift which costs more than 15 lakhs in most cities. This can be erased from the rest of the variants except w8(o) Autoshift.

Mahindra's official website still shows 7 airbags in w8(o) Autoshift.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Mahindra silently removes driver knee airbag from XUV300 W8(O)-screen-shot-20211015-9.16.09-pm.png  

Last edited by rpmmachine : 15th October 2021 at 21:17. Reason: added few more lines
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijin View Post
However, I'm not sure why people are concerned about the GNCAP rating being downgraded; anyone who has watched those crash test videos can clearly see only two airbags deployed and no curtain airbags deployed in the side impact test, indicating that they tested in W8, the two airbag variant.
True it is the W6 variant of the car which was crash tested and it scored 5 star ratings in GNCAP.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks