Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2022, 21:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Separate indicator for U-Turns

I used to have an U-turn on my commute for about 4.5 years till March, and briefly thought about it. In the end, I really don't see the worth.

The moment I indicate I am going right, the vehicle behind accelerates, passes me on the right and swerve left again. It has happened on a daily basis.

I can count number of vehicles that use indicators. All other vehicles you'll have to guess by the vehicle positioning and pace. The slower and one that moves to away from the divider before the turn is the vehicle preparing for an U-turn. The ones turning right tend to carry more pace and stick closer to the divider.

Besides I can't imagine, how you'd implement such an indicator that you'd logically activate/deactivate.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 21:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanzameendar View Post
With that it becomes a 'three position knob/stalk' along with lane change, 90° turn & U Turn. Too much of a task for most people who don't even use a single indicator or turn on the indicator right before taking the turn
Next thing I need is an engine restart button instead of just the start/stop button
pkulkarni.2106 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 21:37   #18
BHPian

The more buttons we keep, the more mistakes can happen, with the possible permutations & combinations.

When I'm working on building products for my Company, my Manager used to say, we have to make products idiot proof, as we never know, how end user uses it.

Apologies for any misuse of word, but thought of sharing as it is
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 21:43   #19
BHPian

When there is only right turn, I have seen people use left indicator to inform that they intend to go straight and vice versa

I was actually thinking we should have an indicator to let people know that we don't want to take any turn.

I'm also thinking of possible options to indicate my exact preference when the junction has 5 or 6 possible turns

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th May 2022 at 01:40. Reason: Only two smileys permitted per post.
Old 24th May 2022, 22:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Somebody indicating - now this can mean anything, if they indicate at all in the first place. It could be that person is going in the other direction than signalled also. It’s entirely possible the rider/driver is not turning at all, it’s just that they have forgotten to turn off the indicator signal.
Above clarification on what the indicator may mean does deserve to be featured on the team-bhp home page.

The concerned minister should talk about it and the Hon. PM should also repeat it in his Mann ki Baat programme.

I bet millions of vehicles are tailgating the indicating vehicle, and thousands are almost ramming into it right now as you read this post.
Old 24th May 2022, 23:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

And above all, in order to force people to use indicators, the car should refuse to turn if the appropriate indicator was not turned on at least 100 m prior.
adisan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 23:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Next thing I need is an engine restart button instead of just the start/stop button
Haha! This can be very well expected in the coming years with the line-up of hi-tech EVs. With technology comes glitches, won't be surprised if the future cars suddenly stop responding and need a CTRL+ALT+DLT command or worse still needs to be restarted in the middle of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
When there is only right turn, I have seen people use left indicator to inform that they intend to go straight and vice versa

I was actually thinking we should have an indicator to let people know that we don't want to take any turn.

I'm also thinking of possible options to indicate my exact preference when the junction has 5 or 6 possible turns
With so many LEDs integrated in the exterior of a car nowadays in the form of DRLs etc. the manufacturers should consider an LED screen at the behind of the car which may indicate what is the next move of the driver, ofcourse only if the driver himself knows his next move!

Last edited by Sheel : 26th May 2022 at 10:17. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE +) your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 26th May 2022, 09:43   #23
BHPian

I'm not sure how it'll affect someone who's behind the car taking U-Turn or turning right. If I were behind a vehicle, I'd treat it as a vehicle that's turning right, doesn't matter if it's a u-turn or a right turn. All I have to do is maintain distance and wait if needed.

This seems like a solution to a non-existent problem to me.
It reminds me of drivers using hazard lights while driving in rain,fog and through tunnel when there's no need to use hazard lights.
puneeth2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 10:32   #24
BHPian

This is not needed. Just sticking to basics will solve lot of issues. There are clear indications in lot of places where U turn is allowed and where not. Of course drivers will violate this, but as a cautious Indian driver we should expect the unexpected.
Old 26th May 2022, 11:37   #25
BHPian

Simple "non-tech" solution that was in vougue for decades - the Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise finger movement after rolling down the window... Has always worked for me :-)
ksakotai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 12:19   #26
BHPian

Simply hilarious!!
Since our country got its independence getting a driving licence has been as easy as buying a McDonald's burger, so I guess its quite a valid point to ask for something like a U turn signal.
If someone has driven internationally, one would automatically learn the actual rules of driving which haven't been taught in Indian driving tests.
The common reaction when the car in front indicates the turn signal is to lift off the gas and be ready on the brakes. With the car in front slowing down, you are expected to be ready for the car in front to change direction, hence drop your speed in anticipation. Once the car in front has departed you resume speed.
If the car in front is making a U turn it will definitely brake to a crawl in order to make the U turn. Likewise your speed is supposed to drop to a similar speed to the car in front. Thus if you drop your speed enough, no separate indicator is required.
In India the tendency is to tailgate as much as possible, and to not allow the person to take the turn or switch lanes once he is using the indicator. For that there is the art of defensive driving in which we excel with flying colours.
KKapadia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 12:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Apologies. But why?

Problem: People don't use indicators at all.
Solution: Let's complicate the process by introducing two step indicator stalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post

OR, Long press start/stop to restart. Even longer to put it in debug mode. Longer than previous longer to start car in safe mode where just one wheel spins. Longest press to to disable start/stop button and erase all history of what button pushes you did (use just before towing car to service center.)

Unintentional but we need more fun threads like this!
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 13:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have had an underage driver hitting my car even after giving an indicator, this was when taking a U turn.

The best solution to this is to be graceful when slowing down and not keep a gap between kerb and car when taking a U turn.
Its best to assume that people behind will not see your indicator and then take a turn using mirrors.
Old 26th May 2022, 13:35   #29
BHPian

Everyday I've to negotiate a U-Turn near my residence. What I usually do is the following sequence:
1. Turn my Right Indicator nearby the U-Turn.
2. Then I brake slowly at the Turn.
3. I switch on my hazard lights while taking the U-Turn slowly.

Till date, Cops haven't objected and there have been no issues.
Old 26th May 2022, 13:39   #30
BHPian

here in Calcutta, using indicator means nothing to the person behind. Experienced this yesterday.

So we're driving down a 4 lane fly over (2 up and 2 down). I see an ambulance with the sirens on trying to get past the traffic. In order to give him space, i indicate my left indicator to move out of the lane with the left lane being clear for 15-20 meters behind which there was an I10.

As i am moving into it the lane, the I10 chap speeds up gets inches close to me, so close that stop the merge to prevent contact and now I am stuck in the middle of two lanes, with the ambulance baring sirens behind me and the i10 chap giving me looks like i just told a 2005 petrolhead the prices of petrol in 2022.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks