Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 08:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai-BlueLink's callous response to my call for help, post-accident

First of all, glad that everyone is safe.

1. Hyundai Bluelink sucks and it is only a good to have feature. We can never rely on it. Specially it uses the Vi SIM which almost doesn't have any connectivity most of the time.

2. There is something up with the OEM tyres of Hyundai, I had a side wall crack on the Apollo in like less than 3000 kms on my Alcazar. After a lot of escalations, tweets and emails, could get it replaced for free.

3. Firstly get the car repaired with insurance and then keep bugging them for free tyre replacement.

Hopefully things are set alright soon, and keep updating how it goes.
Old 11th August 2022, 12:11   #17
BHPian

This is an issue with the concrete highways. The Delhi Agra Yamuna expressway (made of concrete) is notorious for tyre blowouts. Authorities have always blamed drivers for not maintaining their tyres and for overspeeding. However, there have been cases of new tyres also facing blowouts.

It seems that the tyres get overheated on the concrete highways resulting in blowouts.

Now the advisory for concrete highways is to take a stop after almost one hour and let the tyres cool down.
low_rider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 14:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
This is an issue with the concrete highways. The Delhi Agra Yamuna expressway (made of concrete) is notorious for tyre blowouts. Authorities have always blamed drivers for not maintaining their tyres and for overspeeding. However, there have been cases of new tyres also facing blowouts.

It seems that the tyres get overheated on the concrete highways resulting in blowouts.

Now the advisory for concrete highways is to take a stop after almost one hour and let the tyres cool down.
I agree with you but how many stops will a driver take and what about night drives, stopping at night is not a safe option? If one has to stop every hour then the purpose of expressway (which is to save time ) is defeated to some extent.
Old 3rd September 2022, 15:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
TPMS, I suggest you to get one installed
Would TPMS have been able to detect a sidewall failure related pressure loss in time? Or would it have still been an instantaneous burst?
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 17:58   #20
BHPian

Very happy to know all of you are safe. Keep regular eye on the status of repair. Also, did you fill air at the fuel station after driving for a long while in high speed? If yes, that may be the mistake. As many have pointed out here now and in the past, fill air to the manufacturer's recommended level when the tyres are cold, meaning when the car has been parked for some hours at least. For this, keep a tyre-pressure inflator handy that can connect with the 12V socket so that you can fill air early morning at regular intervals before heading out. Those who have petrol pumps nearby at a 500-metre distance or less are lucky as the tyres won't really heat up en route to fill air.
Old 3rd September 2022, 21:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
When you checked and put the tire pressure back to 32 on very hot tires, effectively this made the cold pressure say around 24.
This is a key point. OP, in the future, never check your air pressure after you've been driving for more than ten minutes.

Not sure about whether this can be deduced to be the cause your particular incident but it's good advice to keep in mind.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 09:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This is a key point. OP, in the future, never check your air pressure after you've been driving for more than ten minutes.

Not sure about whether this can be deduced to be the cause your particular incident but it's good advice to keep in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Tires always heat up after running, even more so after long runs. That is why recommended pressures are always for cold tires. If recommended is 32 cold, during highway runs this can go up to 38-40. Tires are accordingly designed for this.
Many cars/tire manufacturers recommend higher cold tire pressures when under load and/or speed.

Mods/techs please correct if I am wrong.
This is a very logical answer.
Most of us would be checking tire pressure along with a refuel. Should the car tires be allowed to cool down for X minutes before it? How many minutes are enough?

And best is to check this yourself before trip start.

Example, one from Michilen.
Old 4th September 2022, 14:01   #23
BHPian

Glad that you and your family made it out okay. It's sad though that you still had to depend on God to keep you safe, instead of using seatbelts to keep you and your family members safe. Getting tossed around is no joke, and can result in various issues, some which may even be hard to detect or diagnose immediately. I refuse to put the car in motion till all my passengers are safely belted, and you should probably do the same thing.

About the tire, I think the others here in the forum are unfortunately correct. You probably inadvertently caused the tire failure yourself by trying to set the tire pressures when the tires were hot. What likely happened was that you set the tires to 35 PSI or whatever the recommended value was, forgetting that when the tires cooled down, it would be several PSI lower. When you came off the expressway, the cooler temperatures probably caused the pressure to plummet, leading to higher sidewall flex and eventual failure. Set the pressures when the tires are cool, or when you've just started the vehicle. If you are going to be doing a lot of high speed highway driving in peak summer, you may set the pressure to 2 or 3 PSI lower, when the tires are cold, and don't touch the pressure while driving, unless it's to fix a puncture or something else.

Last edited by supermax : 4th September 2022 at 14:04. Reason: Fix typo
Old 5th September 2022, 22:18   #24

Aejez, I am happy that you and your family came out of this ordeal unhurt. In India, all these 'fancy' features are still in their nascent stages. These features are only means to brag and sell more cars. I do not use any of my Creta's connect features, in fact I do not rely on the TPMS even as the readings are totally unreliable. I would love to have a simple and sturdy car - just keep it simple and reliable should be the motto.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks