Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 20:50   #16
BHPian

re: How do BHPians convince their kids to stay buckled up?

My kids are 11 and 9 years old and they do make a noise when I ask them to buckle up. If one of them is on the front seat, they have no choice since the car (XUV700) keeps making a noise till she buckles up.

When both are in the rear seat, i have a simple thing to tell them that their safety is our joint responsibility and I wouldn't compromise on that. They do make a noise but eventually buckle up when they don't see me driving the car ahead and keeping it stand still.
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

The most important aspect is to get your spouse onboard. Unless both parents take the effort and support the endeavor, this will not succeed. You also need to fend off external influences (our parents, in-laws, friends, free advicers, 'parenting experts')

The first time we got our son in a child seat was ~ 3 years (we didn't have a car till that time). He cried for a good 200 kms and we didn't budge, he tried the same for a few km on that return trip. After that trip, he would not sit anywhere else.

My younger daughter has been on a car seat since the day I brought her from the hospital. Those who have been conditioned from newborn/infant stage, there is no real additional effort needed.

If your kid is tall enough (usually 10+ and 4'9"+) and the seat belt does not cut too close to the neck. They can wear seat belts directly like the adults, the booster is basically to offset the lack of height
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

I never had to struggle. Somehow, my son just got used to it and that’s the first thing he does upon entering the car. Now that he’s a teen, he actually educates his grand parents and makes sure they are belted. I never had to take additional effort when my son was small.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

My kids are 3 and 6, both are big fans of police, want to be policemen when they grow up.

Told them that wearing seatbelts is the rule, and if they don't wear, policemen will get angry, and won't allow them to be policemen when they grow up.
Compared to how challenging it is too get them to do other things at home, this one was pretty easy
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

My daughter had really enjoyed her Car seat till the time she could use it, after that bought the booster seat which she doesnt enjoy since its hard. Hence as of now we are doing with only the lap belt. Once she grows a little taller she will be able to completely use the seat belt.

For those who cant convince, there are rhymes, cartoon videos on youtube which can help.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 22:41   #21
BHPian

The problem is not the kids. It's usually the adults.

Children tend to emulate adults. If they see an adult not wearing a belt, they will feel wronged and tend to rebel. You can coax/bribe/force the kids to use the belt/booster seat, but the results will be short term and the kids will use every opportunity to not wear a belt when you are not present.

My suggestion would be to be strict with the adults on wearing belts whenever they are traveling with the children. The same applies to helmets too.

However, when it comes to adults, it's easier said than done. Expect a lot more resistance.
Rohan265 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 06:17   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Only issue is that when the kid doses off to right side then the belt goes in an awkward position.
Trying using soft but firm neck pillow cases - the sort one uses on long haul flights. On long journeys I use these for my kid as it helps keep his neck and head upright and yet doze off comfortably while being buckled in.

Something like this (image just for representation purpose) or anything similar.

How do BHPians convince their kids to stay buckled up?-dcdd7ba565e149c090ece2bdd06de6c3.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
The problem is not the kids. It's usually the adults.
Children tend to emulate adults.
….
My suggestion would be to be strict with the adults on wearing belts whenever they are traveling with the children. The same applies to helmets too.
+1 to that. My philosophy exactly on this matter.

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th August 2022 at 06:19.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 07:02   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
Can you please share your experiences around these and tips that worked in your favour?
It’s good to start young. In my experience kids are much better at following basic rules than adults. It was easier for me as I live in a country where seatbelts are mandatory for all passengers. When we are in India, my daughter always insists that the grandparents always wear seatbelts even if seated in the rear; probably that’s the only 2-3 weeks they put on the seatbelts
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 07:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There was a lovely approach shared by a TBHP-ian in another thread, the gist of which I remember as:

He got the child seat and left it in the living room. His kid began to sit in it, and began to like it. After sometime, he moved it to the car. The kid took to the seat in the car too, without any fuss. I dont think it can get smoother than this.
Here is my post from 2008:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post1003825 ("Child Seat" for Babies & Kids)

Quoting myself:
We used this at home too for a few days to make him get used to it. We felt it helps if he understands that it is "his" and it belongs to him.

Now he is all of 15 years and I have a completely new set of challenges to deal with .
deep_bang is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 07:53   #25
BHPian

The key is to have adults follow the rules.

Our 1989 Maruti 800 did not come with seat belts from the factory. My father had it installed in 1996 and that's when we all got the habit.

I was a kid back then. I emulated my father. My now 15 yr old nephew has worn seat belts from the day he could.

We didn't know about the concept of child seats when he was an infant. But we did know that he is not supposed to sit in the front seat in a car with Airbags till he turns 12. He knew this too. And NEVER once gave us a single tantrum wanting to sit in the front seat of the Civic. He was so used to sitting in the back that once by mistake, I had him sit in the front seat (when he was 11, and tall enough to sit in the front) and he made me stop 200 meters down the road and promptly moved to the back seat. Duly belted.

Even though my now 2.5 yr old daughter did not come home from the hospital in an infant car seat, the rest of the people in the car were all wearing seat belts because we had been conditioned to for the past 20+ years. I got her the infant seat by the time she could leave the house again. She went on her first inter-city 200km trip when she was 3 months old, peacefully napping in her child seat.

The situation now is that only place she want to sit is in her child seat. Just last week, we came back from a 1200km trip. Our first inter-state trip on the Figo. Went by without a hitch. So we all are looking forward to many more of them now ☺️.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 09:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

My son is used to a car seat since he was 3 months old, this habit has continued. He is now 5 years and unless it is a short drive, he has to use the car seat.

Also recently got him a Mifold Booster seat, which can be used in any car and can be carried easily. This ensures he is properly buckled up for all drives.

https://mifold.com/products/mifold-comfort
Attached Images

speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 09:52   #27
BHPian

it is the first week which is difficult, be consistent and then it’s a going to be habit. There is absolutely no need to struggle after the first one week. If it is still an issue, show crash dummy videos on YouTube and explain the importance. It’s not that difficult.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:13   #28
BHPian

We were in UK, when my son was just over a year old (he is almost 14 now). Stroller was mandatory in Public transportation in London and Car seat as well. So he got used to car seat and belt on the rear seat and continues even now. Also he is a big fan of F1 and knows all the safety aspects to be followed in the car

My daughter is 6, but spent last 4 year in US and she got used to car seat as well. Even before we shifted to US, she was on car seat in India. It was not difficult because my son used to wear seat belt and the younger one simply mimicked him. If any of the kids didn't buckle up, then I was very clear that the car will not move anywhere.

But one thing I made sure is to buy the most comfortable car seats and also put in lot of cushions. Stop every hour and let them run around a bit.

My father never used the seat belt when he is not driving. So when we shifted backed to India, my daughter started complaining how she has to wear seat belt and grandpa is not wearing it. Now my dad also wears the seat belt because of my daughter
Old 24th August 2022, 10:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Started early and now it's habit. Car does not move till you hear the click from all sides
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 11:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
Can you please share your experiences around these and tips that worked in your favour?
What worked for me was a fighter pilot analogy
SwatKats used to buckle up and I was the first to buckle up in my family in the 800. Then came the rule in late 90s.

Work made me buckle up in the rear seat also. A few examples of accidents have convinced my parents to buckle up in the rear now.

For my nieces and nephews, I spot things that they can see on the side windows that keep them happy and distracted.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks