Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Practicality of cars with narrow front windscreens (e.g. Mahindra Thar)

Dear fellow Team-BHP members,

I want to open up a discussion regarding the practicality of cars with small/narrow front windscreens like the Mahindra Thar. As a person who loves driving, I have noticed that I feel a bit claustrophobic in cars with narrow front windscreens. I know that some people may not feel the same way, but I want to know your opinion on this matter. Is the size of the windscreen a big factor for you when deciding on the car to buy, or does it not matter?

For some of us, a narrow front windscreen feels like a barrier that restricts the overall view and makes one feel confined. This is especially true when driving on winding roads or in heavy traffic. The feeling of being enclosed in lesser glass area and more metal inside a box can cause feelings of claustrophobia and anxiety in some cases.

I am aware that the Mahindra Thar is a "Jeep" kind of conventional design with a high set bonnet and narrow windscreen, which is part of its charm. However, I would like to know if other Team-BHP members have faced similar issues while driving a car with a narrow front windscreen. What do you think manufacturers can do to correct this issue? Can they redesign the front of the car to provide a wider and taller windscreen, or is this simply not possible given the car's overall design?

By the way I would also like to understand the safety aspect of the vehicle from visibility point of view and any other point.

Last edited by DCEite : 23rd February 2023 at 16:01. Reason: example in title
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 16:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Practicality of cars with narrow front windscreens (e.g. Mahindra Thar)

Size of the windshield in itself does not matter as such but where you are sitting in relation to the position of the windshield or any other glass - that matters.

It works both ways.

Some people like the feeling of being cocooned in the car, that is sitting low and looking up. They feel very vulnerable and exposed, almost to the point of falling out of the vehicle if they sit in a Scorpio \ Thar etc - Indian UVs are made with lower window line usually.

Some people like to sit on top of the car, they like to see everything that is happening around, keep their elbow on the window sill. These people feel like they are in a water tanker if they are asked to sit in a low seating car, It does not matter how expensive it is.

In a Thar you are sitting pretty close to an upright windshield, You are looking straight ahead and down at the road , if you are coming from a low slung vehicle this would take a few minutes to get adjusted to and then there is usually no going back!
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 22:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Size of windscreen is a moot point when you are looking for a car. Nobody’s buying decision will be based on how big the front windscreen is. You get used to what is there and that’s that.

That being said, once you are accustomed to a large glass in front of you, you would not want to have it any other way.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 10:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
the practicality of cars with small/narrow front windscreens like the Mahindra Thar.... Is the size of the windscreen a big factor for you when deciding on the car to buy, or does it not matter?
Recently, I sat in new Baleno. The first thing I noticed the height of dashboard from my seating position and the narrow visual angle through the windscreen. Caused me concern of peripheral visibility close to vehicle. I may not choose a vehicle with such a configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
That being said, once you are accustomed to a large glass in front of you, you would not want to have it any other way.
True, my other vehicles have had decent sized windscreens and this is first thing that comes to notice whenever I sit in new vehicle.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 19:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Practicality of cars with narrow front windscreens (e.g. Mahindra Thar)

I have owned cars of all sizes. I prefer smaller windshield. I love how I felt seated low in the car rather than on it, in cars like polo/kwid/altroz/rapid over the XXL windshield of my Safaris.

I don't think windshield size affects visibility at all.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 21:07   #6
BHPian

No issues in Thar wrt windscreen but the B Pillar is too thick and creates a blind spot. Great forward visibility due to high stance . The upright windscreen gets dirty with bugs more than any other car I have driven.
Old 6th March 2023, 22:23   #7
BHPian

I would prefer a vehicle with high seating position but low height cabin and even lower bonet - never driven one, but I think Bolero must be excellent on visibility front.
Old 6th March 2023, 23:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ain't too much glass create a greenhouse ? AFAIK the sum of window glass area of a car is called its greenhouse area.

The A pillar of the EcoSport can often hide even three-wheelers, but the front windshield is substantially big. Both the Thar and Bolero have small windshields but the visibility is excellent.

IMHO the windshield design of SAAB cars were the best. Wraparound - inspired by their legendary fighter jets - and proportionally perfect. Pics are of different models.
Attached Thumbnails
Practicality of cars with narrow front windscreens (e.g. Mahindra Thar)-saab99_1976.jpg  

Practicality of cars with narrow front windscreens (e.g. Mahindra Thar)-1280pxsaab_900_gle_2_crop.jpg  

Practicality of cars with narrow front windscreens (e.g. Mahindra Thar)-.png  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 6th March 2023 at 23:21.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 23:25   #9
BHPian

Practicality in the Thar: Excellent!
Tall seating position & long hood translates to other vehicles cutting accross you being that much forward/ahead of you & to be in your direct field of vision. Not mentioning the skinny A-pillar or those vehicles maintaining a safe safe distance from you, like your Thar being a rabid dog.

Of course, you could miss those skimpily clad beauties in the advertisement hoardings. But, that luxury per se, is robbed from from you even in low slung sedans with massive windscreens and a heavy rake, by the irvm!

P.S. Cut the Thar some slack.

Last edited by crdi : 6th March 2023 at 23:52.
Old 7th March 2023, 08:05   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

With experience in driving different cars one gets used to adjusting to its drawbacks. The point is no car is perfect, if found may be not affordable.
I find high seating SUVs give better road view, no matter what size of wind shield they may have. For example the old Tucson has a commanding view. But, Ecosport is little shorter and has thick A pillars. A trade off I am ready to take owing to better strength in body frame.
For the novice and inexperienced drivers it’s always better to understand the car, it’s dimensions and try and get used to it.
Manufacturers spend a lot in designing vehicles and not necessarily the design of the windscreen is more better or otherwise e we hen it goes with the body curves of the car.
Of course there may be some unacceptable designs, particularly for tall people. They have to be super picky on what they will but.
It’s a good discussion for India when the traffic is high and rule following and keeping a clean “driving body language” is something most haven’t heard of.
We basically have nice and rash drivers. The missing part is one should not be nice, rather noticeable.
Old 7th March 2023, 12:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I want to open up a discussion regarding the practicality of cars with small/narrow front windscreens like the Mahindra Thar. As a person who loves driving, I have noticed that I feel a bit claustrophobic in cars
There would be something missing between various car segments. It is all about adjusting (or adapting) to the choice we made.

It is very difficult to overcome our fears. Many of us were scared of ghosts when we were a child, however we overcame that fear with time.

The guy in the image below has a superb view; however, he does not have cabin rear view mirror.

Remembering a quote that fits perfectly in this situation. It translates (poorly) into something like this:

Nobody gets a whole world. Some doesn't get sky, some doesn't get land.
Attached Thumbnails
Practicality of cars with narrow front windscreens (e.g. Mahindra Thar)-screenshot_2023_0307_094710.jpg  

Practicality of cars with narrow front windscreens (e.g. Mahindra Thar)-screenshot_2023_0307_094737.jpg  

Old 7th March 2023, 13:30   #12

I think you are more concerned with the angle of the windscreen (which anyway affected the size of it), since it is very upright.

Even I was uncomfortable when I sat inside a Thar, felt that the windscreen is too close to comfort compared to my Honda City, and sitting position was bit congested.

I think it's a matter of getting used to different characteristics of such vehicles, it's different!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks