Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2023, 22:51   #46
BHPian

Re: Insane or Skilled? Discussion on reckless high-speed bus drivers

There are many such maniacs on Indian roads. Our driving tests so do not inculcate safe practices. The only reason most trucks don’t do this is that they are too heavily laden. Have seen empty trucks hurtle down the road at speeds that would make a bus driver blush.
In point of fact, the way I see many 4 wheeler and bus drivers go, makes me think they are just applying the same “best practices” they learnt on 2-wheelers to these large vehicles.
Old 9th April 2023, 02:15   #47
BHPian

Skilled? No. Reckless? Hell yes. Funny thing is, in the comments section of videos like these (and videos of KSRTC buses/kerala private buses), you'd see some absolute Einsteins trying to justify it and some even crazy enough to view this as some sort of a "skill". The people who are supposed to be outraged by reckless driving like this and question them is either complacent or supportive of such driving. Strange world we live in.
Old 9th April 2023, 08:12   #48

He can not drive like this. Even the operator was telling him at one point in the video to take it slow. Driver was staring at other drivers while overtaking, scaring two wheelers by literally pushing them towards the left side of the road is just not acceptable. Imagine the wind blast experienced by the two wheelers when a bus overtakes them this close. Most of the overtakes were close calls and major accidents waiting to happen.
Old 9th April 2023, 09:58   #49

The driving is just crazy and risky, but it’s also time in India to maintain minimum speeds on few National highways. I see many 2 wheelers and autos maintain speed of 30 or below right on the middle lane or right most lane where the speed limit is 100 or 80 kmph. The Volvos drivers are mostly skilled and dangerous even way back in 2005 when they are first introduced. I travelled during the first month when volvo bus route started between Vizag and Hyderabad from some private travels, it took just 9 hrs to complete the trip from vizag (steel plant) to Hyderabad (kphb) . That’s insane speed even now, imagine that in 2005 with almost 70% was a single lane road, for reference the vande Bharat that runs between 2 cities takes around 8.5 hrs.
Old 9th April 2023, 14:14   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojyKerala View Post
I just move out of the way for KSRTCs otherwise they keep tailgating you like the truck driven by the monster in Jeepers Creepers.
Having learnt to drive and living here, while I currently prefer to drive semi-sedately most of the time, my learning curve went from fearing these Daredevils to at one point enjoying the thrill of overtaking them.
But the bus in the video on this thread does things I'd be afraid to do in my much smaller car 😅
Old 9th April 2023, 17:00   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablejim View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=WC2FUEmKEu8

I am not sure whether to post this video in a public forum like this. However, I am hard pressed to publicize this video as a protest to such irresponsible driving. A typical example of a skilled driver driving too dangerously. From overspeeding to zero lane discipline, ignoring barricades to steering too close to two wheelers; such rage should be considered as Culpable homicide.

I used the word skilled because he has a thorough understanding of how the vehicle behaves, its performance and how various systems incorprated to such modern machines aide his driving. Nevertheless none of these abilities justify this manner of driving.

Lets have an open discussion

(source : Travel with Subhajit 2.0)
This video seems to be of Greenline / Shyamoli Travel Volvo buses which ply regularly from Asansol - Esplanade (Kolkata) a nearly 200KM journey. As someone who has used their services as well as commuted on the same roads, I'll be very honest to say they drive like maniacs. A couple of years ago one of these buses even had an accident a day after Raksha Bandhan when they were driving in a similar manner on wet roads.
But since these operators have deep connections, I don't think anything has changed even after that incident.
Old 9th April 2023, 23:45   #52
BHPian

This is the bus service from Kolkata to Asansol.
I have taken this journey multiple times and all of the times I have found the drivers drive like this.
When I asked my colleagues about this, I was advised to steer clear of any tourist buses seen in the IRVM.
They do triple digit speeds continuously, honk 80% of the times with those loud irritating horns and have a habit of pushing anyone who doesn't give them way, Off the road by overtaking from the slightest of gaps.
I've travelled Mumbai, Ahmedabad, bangalore, Hyderabad by bus, by far I have found the drivers in Kolkata Asansol route most erratic and reckless.

Deep political connections of these bus operators is one reason the state is how it is since many years.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 09:08   #53

This kind of driving should actually amount to culpable homicide. Reckless is an understatement !

Guess he was more aggressive showing off as the youtuber was shooting him. As someone said in the previous posts, this video should be used as a proof and a complaint filed against the driver and the bus operator. So many lives at risk
Old 27th July 2023, 20:56   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) bus with a ripped rooftop from the Aheri depot that was plying in Gadchiroli dist Maharashtra.

It was caught on camera running with the outer covering of its rooftop getting detached from one side and fluttering in the air, prompting the authorities to initiate a probe into it.

The bus was plying in Gadchiroli district of the state, an official said, adding a staffer responsible for the maintenance of vehicles was suspended.

Earlier we would assume that a neighbouring state that had ramshackle, doddering and battered buses would buy the end of life buses of the MSRTC to begin a new life and ply there. But no more. Seeing the pitiable condition of this bus such assumptions are passe.

The link:-

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...383-2023-07-27

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks