Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2023, 15:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Slavia & Virtus score 5 stars in GNCAP | Maruti Alto K10 & Wagon R fare poorly

While VAG group results are not surprising considering their donor cars already had 5*, am pleasantly surprised by Alto results. Stable bodyshell? This is the first car am seeing getting a 'stable bodyshell' rating with 2 stars.

Does this mean new Baleno, Fronx also can get a 'stable bodyshell' rating? 4* along with that would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REN View Post
They may have slightly inferior plastics and lesser features compared to the competition, but the 2.0 cars deliver what matters the most — safety, build quality, driving dynamics and arguably the best powertrains.
Sadly all this doesn't matter in our market, as seen in the monthly sales numbers.

Last edited by SoumenD : 4th April 2023 at 16:04.
SoumenD is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:13   #17
BHPian

Re: VW Virtus and Skoda Slavia score 5-star in GNCAP tests

This was expected, I had full faith before purchasing Slavia almost one year ago. Way to go Škoda & VW!
punto_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:14   #18
BHPian

re: Slavia & Virtus score 5 stars in GNCAP | Maruti Alto K10 & Wagon R fare poorly

Alto scoring 2* with the revised protocol is a pleasant surprise. Time and again, Maruti's redesigned models have tested safer than their more expensive, but aged brethen. We saw the same pattern play out when S-Presso outdid Swift. Now Alto outdoes more expensive Wagon R. I suspect Swift, Baleno and Wagon R haven't changed much structurally over the years, whereas Alto and S-Presso are genuinely recent products with better safety factored into the design.
SlowRider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:34   #19
BHPian

Great products from VW-Skoda, Solid exterior build quality really is a must on our roads with better roads and faster cars becoming the norm, Safety should be a priority.

VW-Skoda must ensure that they not only market their products from a safety perspective but also greatly improve their aftersales service. The Indian mindset is that these Germans are hard on the pockets to maintian and rightly so with the DSG issues not instilling confidence.

They have fairly loaded their products with features, But still the Kushaq and Taigun are not able to rake in the desired numbers even after their 5-star safety ratings.

My question to the members of this forum is, If you were VW-Skoda what would you do differently to get these products going?
JShah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:58   #20
BHPian

Finally, something to justify myself for buying Slavia. Now I can drive my Slavia with peace of mind and will ignore subpar AC, faulty passenger side window in spite of one service center fixing this and multiple numerous unknown noises.

Last edited by bblost : 6th April 2023 at 12:47. Reason: Fixed a couple of spelling mistakes.
CommitTran is offline   (10) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 4th April 2023, 16:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShah View Post
My question to the members of this forum is, If you were VW-Skoda what would you do differently to get these products going?
There's a pretty active thread discussing about something like that:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ase-study.html (The real reason why Škoda Kushaq & VW Taigun don't sell - A Case Study)
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 17:23   #22
BHPian

Eagerly awaiting crash test results of Maruti's premium '6 airbag' offerings such as the Baleno, Fronx, Brezza, Grand Vitara, etc.
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 17:44   #23
BHPian

Sales of Virtus and Slavia after crash test in India:
Name:  Screenshot 20230404 174007.png
Views: 654
Size:  80.5 KB

Sales of Wagon R and Alto after crash test in India:
Name:  Screenshot 20230404 174023.png
Views: 670
Size:  36.9 KB
MotorDev is online now   (79) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 18:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Am also looking forward to the new i10. Interestingly, all the sub-Nexon Tatas will also be stuck at 2 stars with the new protocols.
I am as well! Is there any reason for Tatas to score <3 stars according to this protocol?

PS: Love your nuanced posts, really bothers me when nobody cares about what actually is within the report and merely bickers over "stars".
epiccross is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 18:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how many noticed but the Slavia that is tested is without side and curtain airbags.

So one can expect even better score with the top end Slavia/Virtus with 6 Airbags !
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 18:34   #26
BHPian

Is the Virtus/Slavic roof flexing too much? Is that normal
vinodh_eee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:23   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Is the Virtus/Slavic roof flexing too much? Is that normal
Non sun roof variant has a hollow space in that region without any support I think and hence excessive flexing. In case of the sun roof variant the sun roof frame is welded on the roof which is pretty rigid in my car.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Is there any reason for Tatas to score <3 stars according to this protocol?
In 2023, you need to have ESC/ESP at least on some variants to qualify for three stars and above. Tiago, Altroz and Punch doesn't offer the same on any variants. Hence their star rating will be capped at two, if tested now.

For 4 and 5 stars, you'll need additional side/curtain airbags along with dual front airbags to be offered at minimum some variants.

These requirements will change in 2024 and 2025 eventually making ESC/ESP and side/curtain airbags a mandatory requirement for anything above two stars.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 20:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The more I see such ratings, more I am convinced, the sales are inversely proportional to safety ratings! Will buy a car with sunroof or Bose audio than one with a good safety rating.
Car buying decisions in India are often swayed by what or rather ‘how’ your family and friends think about a certain car. We often look in our circles to take opinion on cars, how reliable they are and how long they lasted.

Sunroof has become an aspirational feature because how else are you supposed to show your kid to the world? I have seen one car being picked on another because of “sunroof”.
I was criticised by friends and family alike for buying Harrier XZA over XTA+ because XZA didn’t have sunroof while XTA+ did but XTA+ lacked good amount of features which XZA had and price difference was negligible.

What I am essentially trying to say is that India is highly price sensitive car market. For us Indians paying X amount of money isn’t an issue but what value are we getting for that X Amount. A friend who heads over sales for NEXA in my hometown told me that base variant of Grand Vitara is their top selling model in our city because of VFM tag. So features and specially high value features like sunroof take precedence in India.

Second point might be that we Indians while skeptic and doubtful even while buying a packet of milk are mighty positive and hopeful when buying a car, “Kuch nahi hoga” is a standard dialogue amongst buyers when deciding over their choice of car. There have been countless times when folks in friend circle asked me of my opinion on a certain car only to end up buying the car I advised against due to lack of safety rating. I have learnt over a period of time that when I am approached to advise on a suitable car choice what’s really expected out of me is to simply validate the preference that they already have and not give my own opinion.

Finally, pre conceived notions are at play here as well. Tata/Mahindra is unreliable, VW/Sköda are expensive to maintain. Such notions have become a mainstay and people don’t even prefer to checkout cars because of whatever understanding they have obtained from their peers or friends. Now I am not saying that these notions are wrong, they are there for a reason but things change.

I myself was adamant on never buying a TATA vehicle ever but 1 TD changed my perspective and I ended up owning one.

OEMs aren’t free of blame as well. They have their own share of issues to sort out.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 4th April 2023 at 20:09.
BleueNinja is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 20:16   #30

I would like to see Harrier, Hector and it's siblings get tested by GNCAP . As I cannot justify the brands saying that their present vehicles have a engine part placement problem which can reduce its points. This is not justified because we want the accurate points of the present cars rather than a 5 star from a reworked one.
(I have no hate to these brands nor their engines, I just needed an example to showcase my views)
cl500 di is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks