Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2023, 12:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Government order against selling Seatbelt alarm stopper clips

The Government of India has issued an order against the 5 e-commerce companies to stop the sale of seatbelt alarm stopper devices. These devices hamper the use of seatbelt alarms endangering the lives of people. It's a very good move in my opinion.

Quote:
Taking note of the Directions issued by CCPA, Compliance Reports were submitted by all five e-commerce entities.Based on the initiative of the CCPA, approximately13,118 listings of car seat belt alarm stopper clips have been delisted from the e-commerce platforms.
Government order against selling Seatbelt alarm stopper clips-screenshot_2023051212310209_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Government order against selling Seatbelt alarm stopper clips-screenshot_2023051212305795_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Press Information Bureau.pdf

Government order against selling Seatbelt alarm stopper clips-61pbjshi8lsl1500500x500.jpg

Mods - Please move to an appropriate section or another thread if required.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 12th May 2023 at 12:48.
BoneCollector is online now   (39) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 14:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Government order against selling Seatbelt alarm stopper clips

A good move, but some one who really wants a clip can go to the scrap yard and get old seat-belt /clips.
condor is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 14:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another pointless action, just like banning control film for cars.
Captain Slow is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 14:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A good move, but some one who really wants a clip can go to the scrap yard and get old seat-belt /clips.
My brother's wife will put the seat belt on, without she sitting and then sit on the seat. Basically the fastened seat belt is behind her.
I don't care what they do but I feel this is dangerous.
raksrules is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 15:07   #5
BHPian

Why does the government need to bother with these things. If someone wants to risk their life then let natural selection take its due course. They are not hurting anybody else.

Last edited by cryptarchy : 12th May 2023 at 15:27. Reason: Grammar
cryptarchy is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 16:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
Why does the government need to bother with these things. If someone wants to risk their life then let natural selection take its due course. They are not hurting anybody else.
Not exactly. Government (can also be read as - other tax paying citizens) indeed take a hit with each of these accidents. For example - Insurance burden (if issued by a public sector one), Pressure on Health Care systems (to attend these accident victims), Traffic Congestions, Loss of job to an eligible person due to compassionate employment for the deceased person's kin, responsibility to care for minors if both parents are the accident victim etc. There are many indirect reasons why it is in best interest for the Government to stop this suicidal act.
sreerknair is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 16:53   #7
BHPian

I definitely welcome this move to ban such contraptions. I was saying this to friends many years ago: "You know, these bypass mechanisms should be banned."

That said, this is extremely delayed and nowhere near enough to induce more people to actually wear seatbelts. This is almost like bolting the barn door shut after most of the cattle have run away.

I, for one, have been refusing to drive if people are not wearing seatbelts, especially the ones sitting at the back. And I have been refusing to get onto cabs if the seatbelts are not accessible or usable. This is making me quite unpopular among my family, but that's ok.

I don't think we should expect some random person sitting in a governmental position to set out actually useful legislation when many of us don't intend to follow them anyway.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 19:08   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

We Indians place very less value on the importance of seatbelts in saving lives. We scoff when this is brought to our notice. And we think we are above all rules in our own country. When visiting abroad however, we are deterred from such behaviour because of the fear of being fined. It is well said that we respond best to ‘danda’.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 19:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Another pointless action, just like banning control film for cars.
Better late than never. I'd bet atleast 10% of the people who can't get this will end up wearing a seat belt which is better than nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
If a vehicle having passengers who haven't belted up properly die after being involved in a crash with your car, you will be held responsible unless you can prove your innocence. Totally not worth it.
Turbohead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 20:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A good step by the government Consumer Affairs Ministry but by targeting only 5 e-commerce platforms, will the issue get resolved ? There are auto spares and accessory, brick and mortar stores in the hundreds of thousands all over the country.

The regulator needs to strictly enforce ban on its sale from all sources making its fitment/storage and sale punishable under law. Even the presently fitted alarm stopper devices should be required to be dismantled by all motorists concerned.

The RTO and traffic police help is very necessary as apart from the Consumer Protection Act violations, these devices violate Motor Vehicles Act provisions too.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th May 2023 at 21:23.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 22:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading in a car review that it had seat belt reminder for all five belts, but it was so dumb that irrespective of whether someone occupied the senator not, the alarm would sound off if all belts are not clipped in. While banning such contraceptions, maybe they should ask the manufacturers not to skimp on such sensors.
ani_meher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 10:18   #12
BHPian

I work in the e-commerce industry and this is definitely a welcome move, but grossly inadequate.

Without a ban it is impossible to remove such selection from the website. What most people don’t understand is that e-commerce websites like Amazon/Flipkart do not create each and every listing on their own. The listings are created by sellers directly. E-commerce websites are like a mall with many shops in it selling their own stuff. The mall provides certain benefits like free/valet parking for members (like free delivery for Prime).

The government’s ban is like asking a Mall to not sell a specific item. Sure, the mall will try and tell their sellers not to sell. But sellers can still continue to sell them secretly. Also no point blaming the platforms - these items are not banned for sale anywhere else, so why should we stop selling them?

Also there are many ways a seller can bypass these signals and sell because, there is always going to be demand. This is only going to be a reactive mechanism therefore. And I can already foresee tweets blaming the websites for continuing to allow selling of these items.

The ban should also extend to offline markets and a crackdown on these sellers, regular checking of vehicles for seatbelt defeat mechanisms and education of masses on the importance of wearing a seat belt. Sending a violation notice to e-commerce websites is so stupid and you can see how stupid the government is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Not exactly. Government (can also be read as - other tax paying citizens) indeed take a hit with each of these accidents.
Very well said!!

Last edited by krishnakumar : 14th May 2023 at 10:21.
krishnakumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 10:39   #13
BHPian

If someone needs a seat belt warning jammer for the front seats, his rear seat belts are 100% useless anyways and he can easily unthread or open up the rear seat belt clip for use at the front.

It is important to catch the defaulters and educate the public; other things are good to have.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 08:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I remember reading in a car review that it had seat belt reminder for all five belts, but it was so dumb that irrespective of whether someone occupied the senator not, the alarm would sound off if all belts are not clipped in. While banning such contraceptions, maybe they should ask the manufacturers not to skimp on such sensors.
It's the Maruti Suzuki Fronx. We own a Wagon R (Family's preference) and a Tiago (My preference) and even though the cars are not that far cost wise, the amount of features Maruti skimps and gets away with in a car costing nearly 7 Lakhs OTR is baffling and quite frustrating at the same time. But if my family is anything to go by, people just buy them for the "Maruti" badge.
XLR8.443 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 09:44   #15
BHPian

Once the people really start to understand the safety aspects of seatbelts, all these inadequate bans will not be necessary. It's like saying will stop selling poison to prevent suicide, but people who want to suicide will always Find a way. It's always upto people's understanding and need, government can try but can never prevent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks