Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2023, 21:48   #1
BHPian

Alarming incident caught on dashcam - Assault & road rage by thugs in Bangalore

A few years ago, my colleague shared a harrowing incident in Bangalore. He described how he was driving his car when two bikers suddenly started tailing him closely, not allowing him to pass. Frustrated, he honked at them in an attempt to get them to move. However, one of the bikers abruptly halted his bike in the middle of the road, and another biker joined in by intentionally colliding with my colleague's car. Without any valid reason, they began attacking both the car and my colleague himself.

To his dismay, a few more individuals, seemingly part of the same group, gathered and joined the assault on the car, all for no mistakes of colleague. A police officer happened to be present nearby, standing just 100 meters ahead of the incident. However, when my colleague approached the cop to report the attack, the bikers quickly changed their narrative and falsely claimed that my colleague had hit their bike. Exploiting the language barrier, as my colleague was unfamiliar with the local language, the bikers managed to convince the police that my colleague was at fault, and they swiftly fled the scene.

The reason I am recounting this incident now is that a similar occurrence took place recently in Bangalore. This time, however, the incident was captured on video. Here’s the WhatsApp video I received showing a distressing incident near Gunjur, Bangalore.

In the video, a group of thugs can be seen attempting a robbery. They not only damage the car but also assault the driver for no mistakes of the driver. The car driver without engaging in any argument or confrontation, quickly reverses the car in an attempt to avoid the situation. However, despite the driver's innocence and lack of provocation, the assailants persistently pursue the car until it reaches the driver's apartment. The thugs intensify their aggression, physically attacking both the driver and the passenger while causing further damage to the car.

They continued to chase the car to their apartment.

Alarming incident caught on dashcam - Assault & road rage by thugs in Bangalore-img20230713wa0013.jpg

Alarming incident caught on dashcam - Assault & road rage by thugs in Bangalore-img20230713wa0014.jpg

Alarming incident caught on dashcam - Assault & road rage by thugs in Bangalore-img20230713wa0015.jpg

I hope the police thoroughly investigate this incident and take immediate action to apprehend the culprits involved.
swoosh is offline   (102) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 22:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Got this video from a WhatsApp group and later found on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ronmania2009/sta...82374776832002

This video is only the first part and the second part is much bad when the car gets into an apartment and the road ragers chase it all the way home, block it, and breaks its windshield, windows and mirrors and a melee ensues with many people involved.

Edit: Found the second part online here -

https://twitter.com/Venkeesaa/status...7-ZlxR0Cw&s=19

I couldn't upload the video but uploading the aftermath for the car.

How do we even live in a society with these kind of people who can do anything and rarely any justice happens? No, I don't believe in karma.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th July 2023 at 10:57. Reason: Moved post to dedicated thread on the incident. Thanks.
Yieldway17 is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 07:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Alarming incident caught on dashcam - Assault & robbery attempt by thugs in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
I hope the police thoroughly investigate this incident and take immediate action to apprehend the culprits involved.
Looks more like a road rage incident. Good that the car owner had a dashcam to record the incident, will help him to make the picture clear before the police. Hope the Police dont ignore this and book the culprits ASAP.
ghodlur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 07:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: Alarming incident caught on dashcam - Assault & road rage by thugs in Bangalore

Should have driven straight to the closest police station. Definitely not to his own apartment, after what first transpired on the road. The guys look like complete good-for-nothings, whatever the road rage inciting incident would have been.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th July 2023 at 12:15. Reason: Minor language edit.
Axe77 is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 08:10   #5
Team-BHP Support

re: Alarming incident caught on dashcam - Assault & robbery attempt by thugs in Bangalore

They look like local thugs who were looking for an extortion victim. The loud honking by the driver gave them a pretext to select him. They have a SOP too. Notice how one of the thugs who was not originally involved came back and bumped his scooter into the car to create a minor accident. After that they can be the aggrieved party, one thing they didn't count on was the dashcam video.

Last edited by ajmat : 14th July 2023 at 08:54. Reason: typo
Samurai is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 09:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

The thugs are arrested. One thing we have to appreciate the police is that they are prompt and for sure will catch such culprits and do photo ops. What happens afterwards to them is a mystery. It is also a safety threat to the victim and family if these guys are let freed up.

Alarming incident caught on dashcam - Assault & road rage by thugs in Bangalore-04b788bcb7db4d2b8ebcef4102196c1d.jpeg
balenoed_ is online now   (66) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 09:45   #7
BHPian

re: Alarming incident caught on dashcam - Assault & road rage by thugs in Bangalore

"Driving over foot" is the new scam that is going on in Bangalore.
All of a sudden a guy on a two wheeler tries to stop your car claiming that you ran over his leg. Then they get into argument and verbal abuse. This is happening within the city in places of high traffic.

This happened with my acquaintance . This is also mentioned in several news links.

My office colleague also faced similar problem very recently. In his case, after lot of argument, riders went away. Next day when he complained the same to police, they were least interested. I have suggested him to get a dashcam. Without proof, it is difficult for the police to act.

The most important thing in this situation should be to not get out of the car and tell these rogues to settle in police station. They will disappear at the first sight of police.

Last edited by Meph1st0 : 14th July 2023 at 09:47.
Meph1st0 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 09:47   #8

DashCam indeed helps to make available documentary evidence else in most of the cases the locals are able to influence the police investigations.
EternalVoyager is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 09:52   #9
BHPian

Looks like these thugs (especially the guy in yellow jersey) got easily irritated by the car honking for the right of way. Its better to honk once or twice and then wait for a gap rather than continously honk and making the situation worse. I am not sure why some people ride like they are the only riders on their own private road. There is a sense of lawlessness and I-dont-give-a-damn in their attitude. I hope we as a society can work towards bringing some civility & togetherness (sigh!!!). In India especially, There is general apathy towards other road users!

Last edited by Comrade : 14th July 2023 at 09:53.
Comrade is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 13:15   #10
BHPian

When they turn around and see a KA vehicle with the driver who looks capable of thumping them, they slither away.
Nalin1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 13:51   #11
BHPian

Happened yesterday in Bangalore
Driver beaten and car attacked because driver allegedly horned aggressively which the bikers did not appreciate.

Scary how the smallest of things trigger people.
On a side note, noticing a rise in incidents of vandalism against car owners in Bangalore (especially against out of state registration like the owner in this video)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2023 at 18:00. Reason: Spacing for readability
SutilSapien is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 15:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutilSapien View Post
Happened yesterday in Bangalore
Driver beaten and car attacked
Quick action taken by the Bengaluru Police. Hats off to them. And the hooligan on the right looks humbled beyond words.
Must have been subject to some "special treatment" for showing the cops in bad light

https://www.republicworld.com/india-...ticleshow.html

Last edited by hrman : 14th July 2023 at 15:38.
hrman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 16:27   #13
BHPian

Such nuisance is alarmingly increasing these days. These are good for nothing local goons who target out station vehicle.

The victim should have straight away driven to the nearest police station. But we only can advise now. At that very moment one's mind goes blank and they cannot really think what is right. However much appreciated that he did not open the window/door and reversed immediately and went away.

Bad luck that he was chased down to his apartment. What i have seen is generally these goons look out for another victim when the targeted person backs off.

Or was there anything else which we fail to see in the first case here?

Glad that they are arrested. But soon these thugs will be out on bail!
Oppanna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 16:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Should have driven straight to the closest police station.
In the first video, the passenger can be heard suggesting to the driver to drive to the police station. It's not clear why they didn't do so immediately. Perhaps they were close to their apartment and thought of going to the police station later with the video evidence (they can also be heard discussing if the incident is captured on video). I guess they didn't expect the goons to follow them home.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 16:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

Difficult to keep your head when being violently attacked, but if anyone ever finds themselves in such a situation, it's best to avoid driving home straight from the incident for your own safety.

Best course of action, whether the nuisance creators give chase or not, is to find the nearest police station or beat/patrol van. They're best equipped to diffuse the situation, with force if necessary, and having notified law enforcement (and obtained an acknowledgment of some sort, if at all possible) might come in handy in the future in case things late a legal turn.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks