Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 11:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do the traffic cops act so dumb???
You've got to be very smart to act dumb.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2007, 12:19   #32
BHPian

The other day i was stopped by a cop close to Windsor Manor bridge on my way home late in the night after dinner (no drinks). I rolled the window down and asked 'Yes sir!'. The inspector approaching me said 'ladies eh? you go madam' and then started blasting the cop for stopping a lady driving a car. With no breathalysers, they cant check a lady's breath, you see . Some advantage there!!!!
Old 14th August 2007, 17:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
The other day i was stopped by a cop close to Windsor Manor bridge on my way home late in the night after dinner (no drinks). I rolled the window down and asked 'Yes sir!'. The inspector approaching me said 'ladies eh? you go madam' and then started blasting the cop for stopping a lady driving a car. With no breathalysers, they cant check a lady's breath, you see . Some advantage there!!!!
You might be a lucky lady as one of my cousin was not that lucky and she tried to use the gender cause to escape but it backfired and she had to pay around 300 bucks.

However, I still wonder are these breathalysers quite efficient enough to show the BAC as i heard from many that its just a show piece rather than being exercised for its purpose.
Old 29th August 2007, 22:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Source - Mumbai Mirror

DRUNK DRIVING CAMPAIGN CUTS ROAD DEATHS IN JULY BY HALF

Traffic police’s constant vigil and the threat of jail term and suspension of licences put the brakes on Mumbai’s rash record

D E E P T I M A N T I WA RY A N D R A S H M I R A J P U T

If you had any doubt about there being a connection between drunk driving and rising road fatalities, here is a piece of irrefutable evidence. In little over two months after the Mumbai police began an intensive drive against drunk driving and started sending offenders to jail, the number of deaths in road accidents in Mumbai have come down by almost half.
While in July last year, Mumbai had recorded 68 deaths in road accidents, for the same month this year the number is down to 38. The number compares favourably with July 2005 and July 2004 figures too, when the number of road fatalities recorded were 49 and 54 respectively. “There is no doubt that the number of road fatalities are down because of our drive against drunk driving. We are confident that deaths in road accidents will further reduce in the coming months because the department is not going to ease up pressure on drunk drivers,” Deputy Commissioner of Police, Traffic, Harish Baijal told Mumbai Mirror on Tuesday.
Unlike earlier when offenders were just fined, drunk drivers are now being convicted and sentenced to imprisonment ranging from a day to 20 days.
Their licences are also being suspended for six months. In fact, just on Tuesday, 94 people accused of drunk driving were sentenced to 20 days in jail.
Executive chairman of Western India Automobile Association, Nitin Dossa, who has carried out studies on road fatalities, says there is no doubt that a majority of road accidents are caused by drunk driving.
“We are happy that the Mumbai traffic police has taken up this drive. It was a smart move on their part to start sending offenders to jail because the fine had lost its sting.
“I just hope they continue the drive at least for six months more. It is important to drill into the heads of people that drunk driving can be fatal,” Dossa said.
Since June 20 this year, when the drive was launched, 491 drunk drivers have been convicted and the traffic department has collected Rs 1.07 crore in fines.
“This is unprecedented. Nobody was ever sent to jail for drunk driving before this drive was launched. This is the reason why people are now afraid. It has also earned DCP Baijal the sobriquet of Advocate Baijal because he is himself arguing cases in the court,” Dossa said.
He said people are now planning their evenings taking into account that they may not be able to drive back home. “I know friends who do not take their car while going out drinking with friends. They take a cab home and that is a very sensible and safe option,” Dossa said.
He also said that increasingly people going out drinking in a group are asking one of them to stay sober so that he can drive all back safely.
“These are some of behavioural changes that are taking place now because of the Mumbai police’s drive. It’s an incredible change,” he said.

death toll

July 2007 38
July 2006 68
July 2005 49
July 2004 54
Old 30th August 2007, 12:14   #35
Team-BHP Support

Looks good, but will people continue so?
Old 30th August 2007, 14:38   #36
BHPian

The cochin police started stopping the 'luxury' cars and booking DUI people, and in today's manorama there is an article about the "rent a driver" service. There is a company that will provide you a driver, so he shows up at the 'club' at the prescribed time and drives you home.
Old 30th August 2007, 16:45   #37
BHPian

well it is all correct and sounds really nice on paper but again problem in india is of implementation for example by law you are not suppose to smoke in public place, but people still do that and nobody catches them you are not suppose to sell tobacco product near school but i see many.

and it is true to an extent that cops use these laws ( like we are discussing here) for their personal monetary benefit. i am sorry but it is a fact ateast in delhi.

dont you guys it would be more practical to have permissable alcohol limit (Like USA). these rule will be forgotten by all sooner rather then later.
Old 30th August 2007, 16:59   #38
BHPian

Well, this is really effective. You cannot afford to get your license suspended for 6 months and go to jail between 2-20 days. A fine nomatter how high is not a deterrent.

Because of this strict policing, I can see a lot of colleagues and friends afraid to drive after even 1-2 pegs, which is not so dangerous. So, either have a driver or take a taxi.

I support this policy. Atleast, so far we have not come across (in Mumbai) any case of cops taking advantage and threatening false cases to elicit bribes.
Old 31st August 2007, 17:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Source - Mumbai Mirror

DRUNK DRIVING CAMPAIGN CUTS ROAD DEATHS IN JULY BY HALF

He said people are now planning their evenings taking into account that they may not be able to drive back home. “I know friends who do not take their car while going out drinking with friends. They take a cab home and that is a very sensible and safe option,” Dossa said.
He also said that increasingly people going out drinking in a group are asking one of them to stay sober so that he can drive all back safely.
“These are some of behavioural changes that are taking place now because of the Mumbai police’s drive. It’s an incredible change,” he said.
This is exactly what we do in our group. This is what we used to do when living abroad as well. Or better still have the weekend at someone's place, which is the safest.

This is an excellent initiative by the Mumbai Traffic police.
Old 31st August 2007, 19:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
This is exactly what we do in our group. This is what we used to do when living abroad as well. Or better still have the weekend at someone's place, which is the safest.

This is an excellent initiative by the Mumbai Traffic police.
TBHP meets without their rides......and take cabs back home. ewwwww
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:41   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Really cant argue with the numbers, can we?

Number of accident-related deaths in Mumbai :

June 2007 : 60+
July 2007 : 38
August : 9.

Fantastic move by the RTO. Here's to hoping that this is a long-term effort.
Old 4th October 2007, 15:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Women 'get away' in India with anything.
Old 21st October 2007, 11:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai traffic cops' campaign against drunk driving has led to a sharp decline in alcohol consumption in the city, setting off panic among hoteliers and bar owners.
According to figures made available by the excise department, September saw a drop of 3 lakh litres in beer consumption in Mumbai compared to the same period last year. Consumption of Indian made foreign liquor (IMFL) also dropped by 1 lakh litres.
Though figures for June, July and August were not available, a source said the decline has been progressive with September registering a big dip. "It possibly took Mumbaiites a little time to realise how serious cops were about this. But as people began hearing of arrests and suspension of driving licences, they got scared. We believe the trend will continue for a few months more," the source said.
According to Manjit Singh Sethi, president of Bar Owners' Association, the sale of alcohol has dropped by almost 40 per cent in bars. "People are scared to drink. The cops are doing a good job and we do not mind being the sufferer for a good cause. But our humble request is that the quantity of liquor consumed should be taken into consideration before people are charged. A difference should be made between someone who has consumed just one peg and someone who has consumed six pegs," said Sethi.
So shaken is the Maharashtra Wine Merchants' Association (MWMA) by the declining sales, it has written to the excise commissioner requesting him to take up the matter with the Mumbai police. "We agree that all efforts need to be made to keep drunk driving in check. But sadly, over the last few months due to the increased presence of cops on roads and near wine shops and beer bars, a lot of customers have become over-cautious," said Shyam Matai, MWMA vice-president.
According to the feedback collected by MWMA, while cops' strict action against drivers caught drunk at the wheel has contributed to scaring away customers, what has really hit the business hard is the presence of policemen armed with breathalysers in and around bars.
Over 8,420 cases of drunk driving have been registered this year and since June, when traffic cops began arresting and sending drunk drivers to jail, 1353 people have been sentenced to simple imprisonment. And the traffic department seems to be in no mood to slow down.
“Our drive is against people who drive under heavy influence of alcohol thus endangering other people's life. We will continue with the drive as we continue to get lot of offenders everyday. The results are for everyone to see. We are acting as per the law," said Vijay Kamble, joint commissioner of police, traffic.
While the drop in sales is pinching bar owners no doubt, the anti-drunk driving campaign has hurt the state excise department too. The department lost close to Rs 6 crore in revenue in September alone
Source - Mumbai Mirror......
Old 21st October 2007, 12:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really cant argue with the numbers, can we?

Number of accident-related deaths in Mumbai :

June 2007 : 60+
July 2007 : 38
August : 9.

Fantastic move by the RTO. Here's to hoping that this is a long-term effort.
but there has to be some system of evaluation. X quantity of Alcohol is allowed and above that should not be.

And this info should be shared with everyone. Here the deal is 1 peg or 100 pegs if you caught with even a hint of alcohol smell from your mouth. You are doomed.

Dont get me wrong am with the RTO on this one, but i want them to be fair to us also.
Old 21st October 2007, 12:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
And this info should be shared with everyone. Here the deal is 1 peg or 100 pegs if you caught with even a hint of alcohol smell from your mouth. You are doomed.
Dont they use a breathalyzer to test the alcohol levels?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks