Team-BHP - Hyundai to offer ADAS as standard across all models by 2025
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Hyundai to offer ADAS as standard across all models by 2025 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/271526-hyundai-offer-adas-standard-across-all-models-2025-a.html)

Hyundai recently made six airbags standard across all its models. The carmaker now plans to introduce ADAS and Bluelink to all models by 2025.

Hyundai to offer ADAS as standard across all models by 2025-img8165.jpg

Hyundai currently offers the Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) on five cars. It includes safety features like lane departure warning, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, forward collision mitigation, driver attention monitoring and rear cross-traffic assistance. 60% of all Hyundais sold in India could have these features by 2024.

Tarun Garg, COO of Hyundai India, said, “Hyundai is the first mass OEM to offer ADAS in a sub-4m SUV – the Hyundai Venue – thereby making it India's most affordable SUV equipped with ADAS. This is clearly a big leap towards democratisation of advanced safety features. We aim for 100 percent coverage across the line-up.”

In 2019, Hyundai introduced its Bluelink connected-car tech in India. It offers features like stolen vehicle tracking and immobilization, geo-fencing, SOS, emergency assistance etc. Currently, all models except the Grand i10 NIOS, Aura and Kona EV, get this feature.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Good! Do I see Hyundai prioritizing safety finally? We are getting some amazing news this week.

Hyundai is on a roll, glad that some serious safety aspects are given importance.

If not ADAS, at least AEB (Autonomous Emergency breaking) must be mandatory across all cars, could be life saver in highways. I am confident that AEB will be available in all cars in coming years.

Wow! Hyundai is going all out on safety and cleverly building onto the image created after GNCAP 5* rating of Verna :Cheering:

6 airbags and now ADAS across the lineup - great going!

It is good to see them waking up finally and understand that the customers are no longer tied up to just mileage or aesthetics. Safety should become the primary focus for every manufacturers. The rest of them who don't bother yet should come to terms with the re-calibration of the order and their diminishing fortunes going forward.

Better late than never!

Good move Hyundai!:thumbs up

I have always credited Hyundai for redefining the aesthetics, interiors of Indian car market and forced the competition to follow. Today we see Tatas and Mahindras and even Maruti providing interiors and features that are light years ahead of what they were 15 years back.

Similarly, credit must also go to the manufacturers (Tata, Mahindra) who brought in the paradigm shift towards safety in an otherwise fuel economy conscious Indian car market.clap:

Sounds like a progressive news but I'm conscious of emergency braking in mass cars being a hassle. A lot of users wont even be aware if their emergency braking is set to aggressive and the way cars drive on the Indian highways, an autonomous aggressive braking will throw of tail enders on the highway. Imagine in a situation in which a two wheelers crosses a highway in a tight spot. Manually the driver would drive around it but ADAS would react akin to standing up on the brakes which the following vehicles wouldn't expect.

Wow. Hyundai is shifting the game from offordable Gizmos to affordable safety. It will be a good differentiation to take on Maruti in short term.

Although I haven’t used ADAS and as many in this forum, am skeptical of their efficacy and if these have actually been tuned by OEMs for the Indian roads, I still believe in embracing safety tech and this will only push other automakers to provide the same if not better tech.

Safety, like Security is only as good as the lowest common denominator. We will do all that we can to make our cars run like semi autonomous tanks, but we still have a big problem on hand, which other ( particularly advanced) western countries dont. Our vehicular statistics put us in a unique position which cannot measured against regular benchmarks. Nowhere in an advanced large country do bullock carts, tractors , cyclists, 2 wheelers, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, l/m/h commercial goods carriers, buses and pedestrians jostle for the same road space. At a given point in any urban/ semi urban area you will possibly spot all of these within a 1 km section of a road.

Another announcement by the OEM hitting the ball out of the park!

This comes when there are entry premium cars (VAG) as well as the premium Germans who do (did) not offer ADAS for many of their models. It will be interesting to know the most expensive cars in India that you can buy without ADAS on offer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver (Post 5638080)
Sounds like a progressive news but I'm conscious of emergency braking in mass cars being a hassle. A lot of users wont even be aware if their emergency braking is set to aggressive and the way cars drive on the Indian highways, an autonomous aggressive braking will throw of tail enders on the highway. Imagine in a situation in which a two wheelers crosses a highway in a tight spot. Manually the driver would drive around it but ADAS would react akin to standing up on the brakes which the following vehicles wouldn't expect.

I'm skeptical... no... outright non believer in anything autonomous in my automobile except the ABS system. I want absolute control of my machine and there's no way I'm putting my safety (or the people behind me) in jeopardy by deputing something as crucial as my brakes to an autonomous computer. Also the warning bells and whistles would be such a hassle in my daily drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aakarsh Gupta (Post 5638826)
I'm skeptical... no... outright non believer in anything autonomous in my automobile except the ABS system. I want absolute control of my machine and there's no way I'm putting my safety (or the people behind me) in jeopardy by deputing something as crucial as my brakes to an autonomous computer. Also the warning bells and whistles would be such a hassle in my daily drive.

Imagine this - you can see the highway for miles ahead, there is nothing much going on. Now flip the switch and let the vehicle take over, you are there to supervise if it misses something.

ADAS is not going to replace you, but its there to assist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 5638915)
Imagine this - you can see the highway for miles ahead, there is nothing much going on. Now flip the switch and let the vehicle take over, you are there to supervise if it misses something.

This is the exact scenario that I would want to avoid. If I let off my control, I'm making myself more susceptible to laziness, and that would greatly lessen my 'supervision' over the computer system. Suddenly a cattle passes over the supposedly empty highway and all hell breaks loose for me and the unfortunate soul behind me because I was too sleepy eyed to regain control over the vehicle in time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 5638915)

ADAS will be such a boon in the highways in case you miss something. It should be made standard and in time most vehicles will have this feature, which would rule out rear ending related accidents, which is the primary concern in ADAS. Our driving culture also needs to change though. You can complain about trucks/bullock carts/bikers all day long, but at the end of the day you do make the road safety by following the rules yourself.

When I drove the 2023 Verna, the Lane Keep Assist was ON. I could distinctly sense that the steering was making minor corrective inputs even while I was holding the wheel steady (not gripping it) . It almost felt like an autopilot working on the flight controls. Only when I hit a lane change indicator did it "fully relinquish" control. On another drive in the Honda Elevate, the feeling was even more pronounced with the Lane Keep Assist acting a bit more aggressively. So there will be some adjustment required while driving these semi autonomous systems going forward.