Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2024, 10:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti to send Brezza, Baleno & Grand Vitara for BNCAP crash tests

Maruti Suzuki has announced the first batch of cars that will be sent for Bharat NCAP crash tests.

Maruti to send Brezza, Baleno & Grand Vitara for BNCAP crash tests-2022marutibrezza01-1.jpg

According to the company, the Brezza, Baleno and the Grand Vitara will be the first Maruti models to be evaluated by BNCAP. The Fronx will be a part of the second batch of cars.

Maruti to send Brezza, Baleno & Grand Vitara for BNCAP crash tests-2022marutibaleno05.jpg

Global NCAP has already evaluated the Brezza earlier. However, it was the previous-gen model known as the Vitara Brezza. It was awarded 4 stars for adult occupant safety and 2 stars for child occupant protection.

Maruti to send Brezza, Baleno & Grand Vitara for BNCAP crash tests-2022marutigrandvitara06-1.jpg

The crash safety of the Baleno has also been evaluated before. It was awarded a dismal zero-star rating by Latin NCAP. On the other hand, the Grand Vitara has yet to receive a safety rating from an independent body.

Bharat NCAP was launched in August last year. The first crash test results were announced in December, which included the Tata Harrier and Safari. Both SUVs were awarded 5 stars and became the first Indian cars to receive the BNCAP 5-star rating.

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 11:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti to send Brezza, Baleno & Grand Vitara for BNCAP crash tests

Good Morning to MSIL, About damn time they prove the safety platforms they claim
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 12:15   #3
BHPian

When will the BNCAP for Maruti Baleno etc. happen? It was announced much earlier.
Old 25th January 2024, 12:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Long overdue, but shows how MSIL does only the bare minimum. Out of a range of 17 models in their lineup, they are sending only 3 cars (Brezza, Baleno, Grand Vitara) for testing. Is it because MSIL feels that these 3 models will fare well in BNCAP and the remaining models are going to fare poorly?

Interestingly, out of a total sales of 104778 PV's sold by MSIL in Dec 2023, these 3 models contributed sales of 30501 PV's. The remaining 14 models contributed more than 70% of MSIL's monthly sales.

So, do we then deduce that over 70% of MSIL's sales are of PV's that are likely to fare badly in the BNCAP tests? Time for MSIL car owners to wake up and smell the coffee.
MSIL Dec 2023 sales.xlsx
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 12:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, Maruti coming forward to send cars for safety tests is almost negative PR for Bharat NCAP

Jokes apart, I wholeheartedly support this initiative. The results won't make much sense till the list of tested models grows to a certain level. I don't take these tests at face value, but the scores at least provide a comparison point, to judge which cars are better or worse in safety than a particular model. It will take time, but I'm sure the impact of Bharat NCAP will be huge.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2024 at 22:34. Reason: Smiley fixed
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 12:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Not surprised they have submitted the Baleno and Grand Vitara but it is very interesting that they have submitted the Brezza. It has a lapbelt in the rear centre seat and is not i-Size compatible so it cannot possibly do very well for child occupants. More interestingly, BNCAP requires ESC to at least be a standalone option on every variant (if not standard) for 4 stars and above. But Maruti removed ESC from the Brezza S-CNG sometime last year so it is not technically a standalone option. Maybe they will reverse that ahead of publication.

I suppose that if it is in their control, Maruti might time the release for optimal damage control for GNCAP’s final results which (if rumours on the forum are to be trusted) include the Ciaz and Ertiga which cannot score even 3 GNCAP stars in 2024 as they don’t offer curtain airbags.

Last edited by ron178 : 25th January 2024 at 12:46.
ron178 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 12:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I suppose that if it is in their control, Maruti might time the release for optimal damage control for GNCAP’s final results which (if rumours on the forum are to be trusted) include the Ciaz and Ertiga which cannot score even 3 GNCAP stars in 2024 as they don’t offer curtain airbags.
Hi ron178, do you have any idea when the final set of GNCAP results will be released? And which/how many cars are included? Last I heard, the results were due in December.
Old 25th January 2024, 18:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Hi ron178, do you have any idea when the final set of GNCAP results will be released? And which/how many cars are included? Last I heard, the results were due in December.
No idea when, and even the rest is speculative. Before the Hyundai Verna GNCAP had told ET Auto there were 10 results “in the pipeline” of which 3 have since been published.

They haven’t published the rest by December like they said they would but there are images on the forum of a retested Kia Carens (see thread of its old result) and what looks like the remains of a crashed Bolero (thread). Make of that what you will. Besides, a supplier-level forum-member says the Ciaz/Belta and Ertiga/Rumion have been selected although not necessarily from the Indian market.

My best guess: Wednesday is the 10th anniversary of the #SaferCarsForIndia project which would be a good day to publish the results.
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 20:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Hi ron178, do you have any idea when the final set of GNCAP results will be released?
Update: According to Global NCAP’s Instagram, they will launch new crash test results on 23-24 April. Not sure for which market.
ron178 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 19:40   #10
BHPian

What is happening with BNCAP, no crash tests since December. Ideally they should be doing 1 crash test per week.
Are manufacturers reluctant about BNCAP , since it is voluntary program ?
Or BNCAP itself is slow at execution ?
pravint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 14:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
What is happening with BNCAP, no crash tests since December. Ideally they should be doing 1 crash test per week.
Are manufacturers reluctant about BNCAP , since it is voluntary program ?
Or BNCAP itself is slow at execution ?
I think it's both. I am tired of hearing the said testing since long.
Old 4th February 2024, 15:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdriver View Post
I think it's both. I am tired of hearing the said testing since long.
The difference is that BNCAP is not very discreet. GNCAP are/were very strict about embargoes and prematurely revealing what models they are testing. Even when they invite media to the lab they make them sign NDAs, let alone publicly announce what models they are testing.

If the manufacturer opts to send an engineer to witness the test (most major OEMs do except Suzuki and maybe Stellantis) then the embargo also applies to manufacturers. And in the rest of the cases most of the time the manufacturer is expecting a bad result and so will not want to tell the public they have been selected.

Just for example, there was a 7 month gap between GNCAP testing the Hyundai i20 and publishing its result. The only difference is that since they did not announce it, no one had the expectation.

BNCAP on the other hand seems pretty open to revealing what they are testing. I suspect this will change after a few tests.
Old 9th April 2024, 23:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

An interesting claim from MSN:
Quote:
Maruti Brezza, Grand Vitara, Baleno are expected to get the 5-star ratings by Bharat NCAP, sources added.
Article

But really not sure I'd trust it considering the misinformation in the rest of the article, like this:
Quote:
India has taken its place alongside nations such as the United States, China, South Korea and Japan as one of only five countries worldwide to possess a dedicated domestic car crash test facility.
Old 10th April 2024, 14:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
An interesting claim from MSN:

Article

But really not sure I'd trust it considering the misinformation in the rest of the article, like this:
The story is by Business Today.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 15:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The crash safety of the Baleno has also been evaluated before. It was awarded a dismal zero-star rating by Latin NCAP.
Baleno was given 3 star rating in 2016 by EuroNCAP, and this was a Made in India Baleno.
There are so many crash testing agencies, hopefully BNCAP is much more stringent than GNCAP which people are following in last few years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks