Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2024, 08:58   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Fear is the key | Do you feel fear when driving? Or are you totally confident?

I feel Fear is the wrong word to use here.

I drive a bit rashly though I’ve reduced that “racer streak” of mine with time (especially after getting hitched). I understand fear stops you and slows you down so in certain traffic/road conditions that’s a bad thing.

I feel as a driver there are certain things you should master to be a better/safe driver. -

1. Dimensional/Spatial awareness of your car - you should be aware of exactly how much space your car acquires. And is there that much space available (plus margin for error) while you’re making a manoeuver.

2. Traffic Awareness - You have all basic aids you need in order to be aware of the traffic around you. USE YOUR MIRRORS. I see so many drivers driving top models of expensive cars with their mirrors folded closed. Why? What’s the point of paying for things you then don’t use? Be aware of people around you. And more you train yourself to keep further vehicles in your eyesight, quicker you can react to emergency situations. I’ve dodged at least 2 multiple car pileup (3-5 cars) happening live in front of me in my life, just because I keep my eyes focused on a big field of view ahead of me. Focusing JUST on the vehicle exactly in front of you is not an advantage.

3. Respect the limits of your vehicle/your skills/your surroundings - Everyone/Everything has limits. Pushing your car beyond its capabilities can get you into trouble. Extended pointless and dangerous runs on illegal speeds are very different from touching those speeds momentarily. You might think you’re skilled but never get lost in your echo chamber. There’s always room for improvement no matter what you think of yourself. And over confidence is the key to an accident. Respect the road/traffic conditions. Never drive too different from average speed around you, that way you won’t have to brake/race abruptly. Never make blind overtakes on undivided roads.

I feel Defensive Driving/ driving with caution is a better term.
Himanshu809 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 09:31   #47
BHPian

Re: Fear is the key | Do you feel fear when driving? Or are you totally confident?

Fear is good and it keeps me alert always.
The number of variables on our roads are endless and we cannot assume everything will stay in its place, until we reach our destination.
Even on roads like Samruddhi Mahamarg, which are termed world class, we have seen instances of wrong side driving.
No amount of thrills of driving is worth, when we risk someone's lives or our own family inside our car.
I reduced speed and increase my following distance and maintaing CAS to accomodate the unknowns on our road.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 11:30   #48
BHPian

I am not comfortable with FEAR. Driving in Indian roads need heightened confidence. If you are scared about driving, you will never be able to drive. For example, my better half is a qualified driver with valid DL, but never drives because of FEAR, and we suspect she has lost the skill because of non-use.

However, I am all for CAUTION. I try to be doubly cautious while driving, even if it means more stress and heightened concentration.

This for CAUTION:
1. Damage to the car.
2. Damage to me and fellow passengers.

Few cautions I follow:
A. I have stopped drunk driving. Earlier, even if I would end up having few drinks at any social or official gathering, I would drive home. Now, I consciously plan travel via cab if there is a scene of drinking, or stick to max a beer if I am driving back home. I usually declare I will not drink given I am driving, which often draws sniggers in NCR region! However, I decided the high BP is not worth it.

B. Pehle Aap: I let bullies or rash drivers pass me, even if it means I slow down on the left lane. Some visible identifiers such as closed side mirrors, driving visibly fidgeting over mobile or somr other engagement while driving, too much lane changing etc are signs I constantly read in other cars and give them a wide berth.

C. stick close to the barricade when driving on the extreme right/left lane, to prevent any adventorous 2 wheeler trying to squeeze in the gap. I had enough experience of body scratches and mirror damage thank to such over enthusiasts.

D> highway drives are always in the range of 8--90 KMPH at max. I rarely try to hit 3 digit speeds nowadays. Even though quality of roads have improved, quality of drivers have detoriated! Best to be sedate and aim for longivity than be adventorous and burn out early!
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 12:09   #49
BHPian

I think fear is an emotion which is predominant when one doesn't know driving well or in some cases, is just beginning to learn driving or maybe a new driver about to drive in heavy traffic.

Once someone has been driving in India for sometime, the predominant emotion is an other F-word: FRUSTRATION.

I agree to the above post by 'amitayu' where CAUTION is highlighted. One needs to be cautious always, to not hurt any life as well as not get hurt. As I am growing older, I find that material damage is something I can accept to an extent, given the bad infrastructure, human nature and unexpected circumstances but I think damage to 'Life' would always bring an emotion of FEAR as well as WORRY to me, no matter how experienced a driver I become.
HIGHWAY_PATROL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 18:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Been driving since 1995, two of the greatest fears that still keep my eyes glued to the road - even when the person next to you is extremely chatty types:

¤ Fear of idiots who drop/keep unexpected things on the road, loose parts, stone, debris, oil ... I have seen much and know the hazards.

¤ Fear of idiots on projectiles trying to home in on your vehicle. Usually driven by rash and overconfident drivers - small two wheelers to heavy trucks and everything in between.

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th February 2024 at 18:08.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 07:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Yes i do have fear in my mind every time I am behind the wheel. I have become more fearful because now we have a 3 month baby on board.

Fear of accident: Yes I do have that constant fear lingering at the back of my mind, not because of my driving, but because of how other road users drive. While taking a curve on multilane highways, i reduce my speeds and try to take the middle or the outside lane, reason, couple of years back while driving from Pune to Mumbai on MPEW, at one of the curves a truck was parked right at the exit of the curve of the fast/overtaking lane with no tail lights or reflectors. Fortunately I had my aux lights ON and hence got saved at the nick of time.

Fear of Profanity: I used to be a very aggressive driver, cussing and swearing, shouting at whoever used to cut my way. But since the past two years i have calmed down to the extent that my wife at one time was very much surprised as to how calm I have become. More than becoming more mature, its the constant thought of being a responsible parent. I am more calmer while at the wheel than at the keyboard.

Fear of breaking the law: I am a proud law abiding citizen and always make sure to abide by the law of the land. At the same time I have the fear that I mite end up with an accident (like getting rear ended while stopping for a stop light on empty roads).

I used to work for an Oil & Gas major where I got trained on defensive driving techniques as it was compulsory If i ever wanted to drive a company vehicle. This proved to be a boon for me which i feel played a very crucial role.
Old 1st April 2024, 23:15   #52
BHPian

Recently I visited an accident spot, where my friend's car had toppled and was declared a total loss. Luckily there was no 3rd party or public property damage. But the accident was in a remote area near Hassan, the whole ordeal was painful, we had to get a crane to lift the car from a 20ft lower area to a fat bed truck and the loot (towing charges) and finally another crane to unload the car at Bangalore.

Crane charges: 5500+3000
Towing: 18500
Cops: 2000 bribe for no reason.

Imagine a simple accident, without any 3rd party involvement, can lead to an immediate expense of 30 to 35k and all the mental torture of handling crowds, police, towing and seeing your car in bits and pieces was too much for me.

Post all this, I somehow am not comfortable driving now. I tried to overcome this, and just completed a 700 km trip to Kushalnagar and Kukke in the last 3 days, found it too exhausting as I am kind of too conscious about accidents etc.

I think I will eventually reduce and maybe give up driving for pleasure/tour, limiting it to necessity only.
The bike will be my preference going forward for all solo trips and may be used on public transport like sleeper buses/trains when travelling with family.

Last edited by SS80 : 1st April 2024 at 23:21.
Old 2nd April 2024, 00:02   #53
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Fear does not associate well with driving. Caution and awareness are best while driving either in cities or highways. Fear can lead to over reacting which could be detrimental to oneself and others on the road. I tend to get a little anxious when navigating with maps in places new to me, I guess this is quite common with others too.
Rangy62 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks