Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2024, 18:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Brutal year due to road-related incidents for me | Need for a national level road safety campaig

Campaigns like these are often run by the authorities:

https://www.telegraphindia.com/my-ko...sh/cid/2000093

However, it would be hearting if they are run more often as part of a proper scheduled program rather than because of incident like this where a kid lost her life.
GTX+ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 21:17   #17
BHPian

Re: Brutal year due to road-related incidents for me | Need for a national level road safety campaig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Right now in India, majority of the RTO's are very very leniant and favorable in issuing Driving Liscenses. Thats where the problem starts.
Very true. In addition to this the fines for violation should also be taken seriously by the authorities. Delays in paying challans should result in the fine amount being increased followed by the vehicle registration being black listed after certain number of days. Not sure about other states but here in Telangana, they offer discounts at times. It is 90% discount for government buses, 80% for 2/3 wheelers and 60% for LMV/HMV.

https://telanganatoday.com/hyderabad...ed-till-feb-15
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 08:23   #18

I worked for a while with an NGO in the area of road safety. The NGO is SaveLife Foundation. As many have said, the solution has to be holistic, which takes into account many, many things.
A. Driver training and Driving Licence certification
B. Road design and safe design for pedestrians
C. Speed limits
D. Learning life saving and basic first aid in case of an accident
E. Defensive driver training
F. Emergency medical aid which can get to an accident spot in less than 30 minutes
G. The Good Samaritan law being enforced and also awareness on the same.
H. Traffic signages and their design
I. Pitstops for trucks and heavy vehicles ( instead of them just parking on the side of the road)
J. Patrolling on highways
K. Use of Drones and speed trap cameras

As many have said, it does feel sometimes very difficult and hopeless seeing the epidemic of road accidents. More than 150,000 people die every year in India and countless who are critically injured. If this was happening due to terrorism we would all be shouting from the rooftops to drive some change. However, we have to do our bit, number 1 being driving safely , with patience, and following all rules and doing our bit to educate people around us.
AlwaysASwifty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 09:04   #19
BHPian

Three out of the four incidents you've mentioned involve bikes. While I'm not implying that cars always adhere to road safety precautions and follow rules, accidents involving bikes can be fatal, and it appears that bikers in Mumbai, Bangalore, and on national highways are not fully aware of this.
During my daily commutes, much of the stress stems from interactions with bikes. They often dominate a meter left of the leftmost lane, and if a car blocks this space, they tend to gather and confront the driver.
At traffic lights, they disregard lanes, further impeding the flow of traffic.
It seems they lack courtesy or a polite conversation about a scratch or a dent they caused, it’s always cars fault.
Folding their rearview mirrors without consideration for others' safety. There's a lack of caution when changing lanes, with little regard for checking their surroundings.
Not implying all bikers do that and no disrespect to the Bhpian bikers but couldn’t hide the sentiments.
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 21:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Lack of driving education, lack of common sense and always a sense of urgency is quite evident on Indian roads. While some people on this forum suggested stricter driving license test needs to be conducted, what would you do with millions of people who already hold a valid license? I believe the driving inspector should be held accountable, but this does not appear to be the case over there.

Even now, I'm hearing that driving licenses are being couriered by agents without any tests, indicating that accidents will continue to rise year after year. At least this could be a good starting point.

IMO Faster cars + better roads = recipe for disaster in the hands of an unskilled driver.

Unnecessary honking is another concern. My five year old was thrilled to learn that you may honk just like that in India , whereas in Ireland, I recall honking just once in 2023.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 15:32   #21
BHPian

India has become the world capital for accidents. Population may be one factor but certainly not the only one or the most important one. I myself have gone through this trauma and I was not on a high way or on a busy local road. It happened because the vehicle responsible for the accident was so poorly maintained that its brakes failed and was driven by someone who either didn't have a driving license or was not a good enough driver to try to control the vehicle in this scenario. The vehicle didn't have a registration plate, which makes the local dept. of road traffic, culpable for the accident due to their inefficiency and ineffectiveness in doing their job. So I feel its the lack of enforcement system, or its corrupt ways, poor driving skills, poorly developed sense of responsibility towards the nation, weak laws as its a bailable offence with max punishment of 7 years if convicted, ineffective legal system where it takes decades to reach a verdict, are the main reasons for the alarming number of accidents on our country.
Solution, sincerity from the top in the government in addressing the issues. Till then its your own responsibility.
fawad0222 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 22:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
So 'catching them early' in school is instantly negated on the way home. I have seen too many school buses with children, sometimes more than one, in the single seat up front, no seatbelts even for the school bus driver.
Zoom the picture below and you'll see the 'catch them early in school ' flying out the window(pic taken few days back) !! This grassroot polluting of tender minds continues unabated everywhere in our country, and results do confirm how addictive it is..!!
Attached Thumbnails
Brutal year due to road-related incidents for me | Need for a national level road safety campaign-img_20240303_174112.jpg  

RaviK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 14:30   #23
BHPian

I share the same sentiment, however for the sake of commute and lack of good public transport, most of us have to resort to driving/riding everyday (love of driving/riding is another reason for sure). I stay in Bangalore and my car is only meant for long drives outside the city. While highways are much safer and better put together now than ever, people using them need to understand the responsibility they have when they take a seat behind the wheel or hop on a bike. Unfortunately, many of us (more general public than bhpians) look at responsible driving as a duty of all others using the road. They will invent all kinds of excuses not to wear protective gear or to buckle up than agree to their ignorance.

I feel worst when I see cars/bikes with team bhp stickers indulging in such things, these wannabe bhpians want to be a part of the group, but don't want to share responsibility of making driving safe for themselves and others.

Apathy is the biggest issue.

I see so many of my fellow residents casually picking up their scooters in slippers to pick up kids without helmets. When kids see their parents doing this, they consider it as acceptable behavior and follow suit. Worst thing is when someone like me raises this matter on society groups, I am tagged as nuisance creator and fake idealist. Whenever I have confronted any of my known guys, not one has accepted their mistake, most have pointed fingers at other who have been doing a similar thing.

People are not even convinced that whatever they are doing is wrong, most of them know it is against the law and could attract fine, but very few people believe that they have done something wrong.
samee_arian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 10:56   #24
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs, these are all important points. The apathy towards fellow humans seems to be the biggest factor affecting all of this and the lack of leadership at the highest level when it comes to running aggressive awareness campaign.

I really get a scary feeling that we are headed towards a totally lawless situation (or rather that we are already there).

Since starting this thread the following has happened:

1. Two more serious accidents with colleagues in my office. One of them will be out of work for at least few weeks. It was due to a car reversing on main road while he was on the bike, he hit the ground head-first so you can imagine the seriousness.

2. A death of a motorist yesterday due to a speeding car at the traffic light again less than a km from my house. The poor young girl had stoped at the traffic light while a speeding car trying to cross could not control and hit her from behind. The girl was thrown 50 ft and succumbed to her injuries a day later. Here the coverage. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../108554841.cms

I witnessed practically the same thing while I was out on my motorcycle a few weeks ago. I stopped at a signal (very close to the above incident) and a municipal bus sped past me from my left and a Creta from my right. I froze in fear for a few seconds and have lost confidence to take my Continental GT out anymore.

How can the traffic commissioner sleep at night? Why is nothing being done at the leadership level.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks