Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2024, 20:38   #31
nkm

Re: Aimed at improving Driving quality, Kerala MVD to revamp Driving license examination

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
And there goes any hope of producing better drivers on our roads. This is the exact same format that automated driver licence testing is all about. Started with Delhi, and the disease is spreading to every state. Without any test of how the aspirant for a new driving licence can cope with real-world traffic flow or interaction with other road users, this test that a 5-year-old on a tricycle can complete with some practice will produce more and more dangerous drivers over a period of time.
This does not replace the road test that Kerala does. It replaces the “H” test, which honestly was quite outdated. It is also plugging a few gaps in the current testing methodology where you can take an automatic car and get a DL for manual and automatic.

The DL test in Kerala goes in 3 stages. First you have to pass an MCQ at the RTO with at least 80% score to get a learner’s license. After that for the actual test (I forget how many days post LL you can apply for the full test) you first have to pass a “H” test which is manoeuvring the car in a figure of H without hitting any of the traffic cones or stalling. On passing that, you have a road test which generally runs for around a kilometre. You’ll fail if you stall or break any traffic rules. After that you’ve to attend a long session on safe driving before they send the DL.

Last edited by nkm : 23rd February 2024 at 20:48.
nkm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 00:05   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Aimed at improving Driving quality, Kerala MVD to revamp Driving license examination

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
I was a bit surprised to read about the two wheeler licencing here in the UK. You have 3 levels of licenses which are both age and power limited.
It's called a GDLS (Graduated Driver Licensing System (GDLS) | Urgently needed to improve Indian road safety), and is prevalent in many countries even for driving a car or a heavy vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
with you 100% but there are a few things we can take solace in ... the point that test takers cannot just stop anywhere in the test and must only do so at the specified points; perhaps this might indirectly enable new drivers to be more aware of how to maintain flow in traffic and not just pause willy nilly here and there.
This new rule might force them to plan ahead and be more predictable.
Not training in emergency stops and observation of & reaction to the unpredictable behaviour of other road users make for an unsafe driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I dont think the test in Kerala is automated. If not, why do you think an elaborate driving test will produce bad drivers?

Even now I know people who buy driving licenses and not earn them. There are many states which the test is a joke. Compared to that, why do you think Kerala model is hopeless?
Even if this test is not automated (which was done through cameras and sensors to reduce corruption amongst the RTO officials in Delhi), the layout of the course has to make it time-bound and low-speed (I do not think it can exceed 20 kmph at any point) - and then, giving a full licence to such a driver will make him unsafe on highways & expressways. Perhaps he will cope reasonably well within city limits, but what about after that?

Of course, there are plenty of people even on this forum who have received their full driving licences on the strength of their wallets and not their driving skills - though none would openly declare that. If this little course-based manoeuvring test is the final test before one is granted one's DL, I am of the strong opinion that this will never improve road safety standards in the state or the country. However...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkm View Post
This does not replace the road test that Kerala does.
...if this is not replacing a proper driving test on public roads, but is an additional test, that would certainly improve driver skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkm View Post
The DL test in Kerala goes in 3 stages. First you have to pass an MCQ at the RTO with at least 80% score to get a learner’s license. After that for the actual test (I forget how many days post LL you can apply for the full test) you first have to pass a “H” test which is manoeuvring the car in a figure of H without hitting any of the traffic cones or stalling. On passing that, you have a road test which generally runs for around a kilometre. You’ll fail if you stall or break any traffic rules. After that you’ve to attend a long session on safe driving before they send the DL.
That (the part in bold) sounds far more elaborate than what any of the other states do before issuing a full driving licence. Kindly check & confirm whether this continues to be true, and that the actual road test as well as the safe driving lecture session are also part of the DL testing sequence by the RTOs in Kerala. To the best of my knowledge, road tests and safe driving lectures have been done away with, after the introduction of the driving-course-based skill testing, away from public roads.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 04:26   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite insane actually. Many people today will never ever drive a manual transmission car. I have not driven one in over 11 years (though I did drive only manuals for the first 19 years of my driving experience). I don’t see why they should be forced to take a test of skills that they don’t need to know. Next, they will ask for tests to be taken on an Ambassador or a Bolero without power steering.

What you need to test is driving skills on a road, in any car you use. You can surely assume that no one who does not know how to use a clutch will ever buy or rent a manual car.
Hayek is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 08:05   #34
BHPian

Driving on flat terrain is one thing, but navigating through narrow and winding ghats is an entirely different challenge. Drivers with minimal road and traffic awareness tend to drive recklessly on ghats, as if on a race track, and often take the middle of the road to turn at a hairpin.

I encounter reckless drivers frequently, and they force us to take evasive action, leading to trucks driving off the hill in an evasive manoeuvre. Trucks often honk to warn vehicles coming from the opposite direction to stop before a blind hairpin so that they can safely turn, which usually ends up taking up the whole width of the road. It is also important to know where to stop to allow the truck to make the turn freely.

I’m keen to understand how driving on ghats can be taught in driving schools, particularly for people who reside in places without them. For starters, learning lane discipline and following speed limits will be essential.

Last edited by ruskinash : 24th February 2024 at 08:26. Reason: Clarity
ruskinash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 10:56   #35
nkm

Quote:
That (the part in bold) sounds far more elaborate than what any of the other states do before issuing a full driving licence. Kindly check & confirm whether this continues to be true, and that the actual road test as well as the safe driving lecture session are also part of the DL testing sequence by the RTOs in Kerala. To the best of my knowledge, road tests and safe driving lectures have been done away with, after the introduction of the driving-course-based skill testing, away from public roads.
I went through it last September with my nephew. I had to drive him to the test site and to the RTO for the session. He had to retake the test because he stalled the car on the road test.

I also went and checked with someone about the new rules (retired RTO, was our neighbour for a long time) casually to confirm about the new rules. The road test is not going away. But there is no clarity on the safety session. Even previously it was a notification on operating procedures and not part of the law. Many RTOs insisted on doing it themselves, and many accepted an affidavit from a driving school that they made the candidate sit through one.

But, he was not too confident that the new rules will stay as it is going to be a lot more stricter than neighbouring states and there will be a lot of outcry about high failure rates. Combined with the cap on maximum candidates that can be tested on a day, he thinks that this will be withdrawn or at least modified soon.
nkm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 12:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

No EV or automatic, the majority of car buyers today want either of these and why should any 18 year old bother with manuals? Kerala has a long history of harassment dressed up as forward thinking strategy, this is another, speed checking, ai camera, the list is endless.

The reason this is getting traction is because the local population is susceptible to propaganda and they swallow this gibberish as some "international standard process ". This grand change will be implemented by the same guys who ran the earlier train wreck, got to give the government credit, it's hard but they've managed to con the vast majority all the time.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 13:44   #37
nkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Quite insane actually. Many people today will never ever drive a manual transmission car. I have not driven one in over 11 years (though I did drive only manuals for the first 19 years of my driving experience). I don’t see why they should be forced to take a test of skills that they don’t need to know. Next, they will ask for tests to be taken on an Ambassador or a Bolero without power steering.

What you need to test is driving skills on a road, in any car you use. You can surely assume that no one who does not know how to use a clutch will ever buy or rent a manual car.
I’m not a lawyer, but what I understand is, for this to work legally, there should be a separate class of licences for LMVs without gear like how there is for two wheelers. That is something the central government has to notify. States can only issue in the categories notified by Center.
nkm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 19:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...if this is not replacing a proper driving test on public roads, but is an additional test, that would certainly improve driver skills.
Yes, this new method is to be conducted in addition to the road test.
It only replaces the taking 'H' and '8' mode only.

The road test as prescribed in Central Motor Vehicle Rules 15(3) is to be mandatorily conducted and recorded. This particular section is pretty elaborate, including handling multiple real life scenarios like driving in all gears, emergency situation handling, driving through various different type of situations etc.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 07:46   #39

Just like everyone else I am really excited with this new change. We need tests that check if the person knows how to actually drive safely and respectfully. But I think we need more awareness among the public. People are planning on going out of state, theres protests from driving schools. I'm of the opinion that it should be even more stringent. But how practical are these changes. The format of the tests were almost always like this. So it's a very drastic change. If the implementation is not done properly it'll simply be a headache to everyone.

Also simply changing the teaching won't change things fully. What about these completely unplanned roads. If you start looking you can see it everywhere. My mother had an accident at the infamous Palarivattom flyover. She came from the service road and wanted to get to the flyover. It's still the same one needs to cut through the highway traffic to get into the flyover, which is not at all safe for both the vehicles - one that needs to cross and the oncoming vehicle. Also theory tests are good but in reality we rarely see such signages being used.

Also why on earth are KSRTCs and other buses going so damn fast.Go to Munnar and you'll be scared for your life, the speed at which they take a corner with little to no visibility where brakes don't really matter because they are already on two lanes and the only thing that they have is hope.
dan_nx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 08:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

We Indians still need to understand driving etiquettes. A simple example, how many of us Stop->Look->Proceed at an Intersection or while merging? Its all about exposure and training. I have learnt quite a few stuff after watching my dad drive while we were stationed at Oman. Moreover I also underwent a course on Defensive driving by my previous employer where it is a mandate if I ever had to drive a company issued vehicle.
A welcome step, where the current transport minister, Mr Ganesh Kumar mentioning the lack of sensible driving. The only thing now left is to reign errant bus drivers.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 21:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Stricter regulations for driver's license in India to be introduced from June 1.

- Driving tests in India can be taken at certified private driving schools instead of RTOs from June 1
- Government-approved private driving schools will now conduct driving tests
- New rules require 29 hours of training for light vehicles and 38 hours for heavy vehicles

1. NO MORE RTO DRIVING TESTS:

One of the biggest changes is that you won't have to take your driving test at the Regional Transport Office (RTO) anymore. Instead, you can take it at a certified private driving school! This should make the process more convenient and potentially less stressful.

2. PRIVATE DRIVING SCHOOLS TAKE CHARGE

Government-approved private driving schools will now be authorised to conduct driving tests. To ensure quality, these schools will need to meet specific requirements, including:

Having a minimum amount of land for training (1 acre for two-wheelers, 2 acres for four-wheelers)
Providing a suitable testing facility
Employing qualified trainers with a high school diploma, at least 5 years of experience, and knowledge of IT systems

3. MORE TRAINING REQUIRED

The new rules also mandate a minimum duration for driving lessons. You'll need to complete:

29 hours (over 4 weeks) for getting a licence for light motor vehicles (cars, scooters etc.)
38 hours (over 6 weeks) for getting a licence for heavy motor vehicles (trucks, buses etc.)
These lessons will be divided between theory (learning traffic rules) and practical training (behind-the-wheel practice).

4. STRICTER PENALTIES OF TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS

The new rules come with a stronger focus on road safety. Here are some key points:

The penalty for driving without a valid licence can be as high as Rs 2,000.
Minors caught driving will face a hefty fine of Rs 25,000.
Parents of such minors may also face legal action, and the vehicle's registration might be cancelled.

Overall, the new driving licence rules aim to make the process more streamlined and efficient while promoting better-trained drivers on the road.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd May 2024 at 21:28.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks