Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2024, 19:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aimed at improving Driving quality, Kerala MVD to revamp Driving license examination

With pure focus on improving the quality of driving, Kerala is all set to roll out the new driving license exam system from May 1st.

Transport minister, Mr. Ganesh Kumar, emphasized the need for stricter tests, highlighting concerns that many license holders lack essential driving skills, such as proper parking and consideration for other road users. He stressed the importance of ensuring that drivers demonstrate responsible behavior on the roads.

The state's motor vehicle department aims to prioritize road safety over achieving high numbers of license issuances, indicating a shift towards issuing licenses only after rigorous testing.

Driving test would be done through specially prepared lines.
In the normal test, the vehicles had to be shown as H, or T in case of two-wheelers, in figure eight.
The test will now also have important hurdles like angular parking, parallel parking and zig zag driving.
Stopping and taking the vehicle uphill will also be a part of this.

An indicative picture of the whole procedure for reference.

Aimed at improving Driving quality, Kerala MVD to revamp Driving license examination-test.png

Here is the video explaining the new process:

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2024 at 13:48. Reason: As requested
sarathlal is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 20:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Aimed at improving Driving quality, Kerala MVD to revamp Driving license examination

While it is definitely a news to be welcomed, there should also be a strict MCQ theoretical exam conducted for all aspirants to qualify. Only when they clear the theoretical exam , they should be able to appear for the practical.

This is how driving licences are issued in many developed nations. The qualifying marks for clearing the exams are also very high and quite reasonably so.
HIGHWAY_PATROL is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 07:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aimed at improving Driving quality, Kerala MVD to revamp Driving license examination

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY_PATROL View Post
While it is definitely a news to be welcomed, there should also be a strict MCQ theoretical exam conducted for all aspirants to qualify. Only when they clear the theoretical exam , they should be able to appear for the practical.
Theoretical exam is already part of the process. Learners license is given only after completing the theory exam

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2024 at 13:47. Reason: As requested
sarathlal is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 07:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY_PATROL View Post

This is how driving licences are issued in many developed nations. The qualifying marks for clearing the exams are also very high and quite reasonably so.
They are implementing that as well.
1. Reducing applications.
2. Per RTO only 20 applications will be accepted per day.
3. In theory, you will have to answer minimum 25 out of the 30 questions.
naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 08:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Pretty sure someone attempting this in a Jazz or an MG Comet will be at a huge advantage compared to someone in a Jimny or Safari. Anyone attempting this in any automatic or EV will be at a huge advantage compared to a pure manual. Any car with hill hold will have it easy.

Driving tests have to take all this into account. Technology is changing very quickly. You can’t be designing driving tests for only Altos and Boleros of yore.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks a lot more complicated than the driving test I did in Kansas City, USA.
I had to drive around the block, once, not hitting anything. Made it!

But seriously, it is a good thing it is taken seriously. Even so, a proper driving test should be conducted in real traffic and should last at least an hour. All these special manoeuvres can be demonstrated on a real road too.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Anyone attempting this in any automatic or EV will be at a huge advantage compared to a pure manual. Any car with hill hold will have it easy.
Are you allowed to give driving tests in your own car these days? When I got mine 20 yrs back we were strictly asked to use the standard RTO/ driving school car which comes with a separate set of brakes/clutch for the passenger.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn, should have taken my two wheeler licence when all it took was an '8'

With Kerala atlast getting proper highways after decades, maybe the MVD should use this opportunity to make highway driving a part of the road test. Proper merging onto and off a highway, accelerating briskly till the speed limit, dealing with intersections should all be part of the driving test.

Quote:
Any car with hill hold will have it easy.
Driving tests have to take all this into account. Technology is changing very quickly. You can’t be designing driving tests for only Altos and Boleros of yore.
True. We should also close the loophole of manual/automatic transmission. Right now I believe one can take a test in a car with automatic tranmission and have a license allowing to drive manual transmissions too. Also tiered system for motorcycles would be great to have. Not sure if the above two are under Central government or State government purview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It looks a lot more complicated than the driving test I did in Kansas City, USA.
I had to drive around the block, once, not hitting anything. Made it!
Isn't Kansas one of the states with lowest minimum age for a driving license?
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 23:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone attempting this in any automatic or EV will be at a huge advantage compared to a pure manual.
Driving tests have to take all this into account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Even so, a proper driving test should be conducted in real traffic and should last at least an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
With Kerala atlast getting proper highways after decades, maybe the MVD should use this opportunity to make highway driving a part of the road test. ...

True. We should also close the loophole of manual/automatic transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
They are implementing that as well.
1. Reducing applications.
2. Per RTO only 20 applications will be accepted per day.
3. In theory, you will have to answer minimum 25 out of the 30 questions.

Almost all these valuable concerns appears to have been addressed in the new change prescribed as, coincidently today, Transport Commissioner has issued the circular in this regard.

Adding those along with the ones Naveen already pointed out above;
  • For ‘motorcycle with gear,’ only vehicles with gear operated by foot and > 95cc can be used for the driving test.
  • 15 years + vehicles cannot be used for the purpose of learning and appearing for tests.
  • Vehicles with automatic gear/automatic transmission and electric vehicles cannot be used for driving test under the LMV (light motor vehicles) category.
  • The road test should be conducted on a road with vehicular traffic adhering to the provisions in the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 15(3).
  • The number of applicants to take the driving test with a Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI) and an AMVI per day will be 30 - 20 new applicants and 10 previously failed applicants.
  • Dashboard camera and vehicle location tracking device required for recording the driving test of LMV category vehicles.
  • Recorded data shall be retained in the office for three months.
  • The number of candidates allowed for the learner's test should be proportionate to the number of driving test applicants.

Last edited by sarathlal : 22nd February 2024 at 23:08.
sarathlal is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 23:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Isn't Kansas one of the states with lowest minimum age for a driving license?
In all honesty I don't know. I took my test in 2009, so I was 50!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 07:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Almost all these valuable concerns appears to have been addressed in the new change prescribed as, coincidently today, Transport Commissioner has issued the circular in this regard.
All these years, they were sailing along with the wind. Now that we have a new person at the top, things are looking good. Expecting the same for KSRTC as well. I sincerely hope he handles PWD next .

Sorry for going a bit OT.
naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 07:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Transport minister, Mr. Ganesh Kumar, emphasized the need for stricter tests,
Not surprised, KSRTC was profitable when he was the transport minister before. He also has the credit of the first transport dept to induct Volvo buses. Its good to see a car enthusiast and some one with sound knowledge and interest taking over the relevant department. I do come over various YouTube videos where he himself drives the KSRTC buses. Also heard KL MVD have mellowed down a bit on clamping down on modded cars.
On the topic, its good to see the tests getting stringent. This will make sure only trained and worth people get the driving license.
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 10:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*] 15 years + vehicles cannot be used for the purpose of learning and appearing for tests.
The 800s have been slowly replaced with Altos, but guess the surviving HM Trekkers will be sold off as rural taxis at last.

Quote:
For ‘motorcycle with gear,’ only vehicles with gear operated by foot and > 95cc can be used for the driving test.
This is squarely aimed at and death knell to the ubiquitous M80 used for learning and tests.
DicKy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 10:42   #14
BHPian

À Good initiative, with roads going through high population density areas, this is the need to the hour. The core of all the traffic issues in India is a disdain for following traffic rules, pathetic driving licence tests and no sensitization. Step by step I hope they are able to achieve a high % educated drivers as well as non driving mass.
I hope some bit of defensive driving is also taught.
Old 23rd February 2024, 10:56   #15
BHPian

Lets hope the driving school fellows wont find workarounds to clear the test. The parallel parking test is going to be quite interesting. Another point worth noting is that the vehicle has to be rolling except at the designated points. When I took the test in mid 2000s the instructors asked to stop before taking the turns, rotate the steering wheel, make the turn, stop and re-align steering and then proceed.

They should also implement this test for license renewals and cancel/suspend licenses for anyone who fail the test. There are so many drivers on the road who are not qualified to drive Taking such people off the roads will make the roads much safer and peaceful.

Quote:
This is squarely aimed at and death knell to the ubiquitous M80 used for learning and tests.
Exactly my thoughts. Same applies to the sunnys in case ofgearless motor cycles. It is too easy to do '8' on an M80. I did it with out any practice at all, all you need is very good cycle balance.
d.w.w. is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks