Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:23   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
I bought a high quality MINI PANORAMA convex mirror for 250/- (a pair ) at Unique Car Fashion, 51, KP Tower, 2nd Cross, journalist Colony, JC Road. B'lore-2. Its an improved version and it really works great! Thanks for the heads up on the advantages of this accessory. Its a life saver and a keeper!

::: 21¼¼±â ÀÚµ¿Â÷¹®È*¸¦ ¼±µµÇÏ´Â ±â¾÷ CAREX :::

I-pop WIDE MIRROR

Oops.

Make that link:

Ä«·º½º»óÇ°°ü¸® > [º¹»çº»] ÀͽºÅ׸®¾î >
Old 18th June 2010, 16:32   #32
BHPian

The fish eye helps remove blind spots of C Pillar primarily. Is there a solution to remove the A Pillar blind spots especially on the driver side when turning right?

A probable solution that I am thinking is to stick the convex mirror inside the car on the opposite A Pillar (front passenger A Pillar). By doing this it will give the driver a view of the blind spot caused by driver side A pillar on his right side. The driver can glance into it while turning right.

Has anyone tried this solution?
Old 19th June 2010, 08:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

I disagree with the logic for ditching the blind spot mirrors, I have used them on my Safari till recently (some naughty kids have since stolen them), it was a very useful accessory while parking at kerbs, i found it extremely useful in a vehicle like the safari which i must say has limited view of the world outside while parking.
Old 19th June 2010, 09:53   #34
BHPian

The reasons given on website is load of crap, and does not have creditbility...the website has their own product to sell (they are offering $5 cash back for removing and opting for their product)...talk about credibility.

While the usefullness of this might be debatable, but certainly not the reasons pointed on the website.
Old 20th November 2011, 11:47   #35
BHPian

Re: 10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Hi Wolffe, I have them on my car too and I guess yours is a Ford too.

But I have a feeling your stick-ons display exactly the same view as the main ORVMs. I have my stick-ons facing the opposite as yours - the larger rim towards the inside of the car, so that the stick-ons display just the blind spot areas - I adjust them such that the moment something gets too close to disappear in the main ORVM, it shows up in the stick-on.

Isn't it the right way to have them? Comments?
+1 to installing it the way Glass has described.
i find it extremely useful on the right mirror. However, the one on left mirror seems too far and I can hardly make-out anything visible there. Perhaps, i should have installed it on the Inner-rearview mirror the way it is shown on the packaging (see pics below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Wolffe : What's the price of the rotating blind-spot mirror ?
Two weeks ago, I picked up a pair (rotating type) from JC Road area for Rs. 120/-. The non-rotating type was being quoted at 80/-.
Sorry, i didn't note the shop name .. but its location is: 12.957878,77.581286 - Google Maps

The outer-rear-view-mirrors were clicked from driver's viewpoint. The external images were intended to explain the scene.
The stock left-ORVM covers area only upto the Slanted plant. The fisheye does a remarkable job there covering upto the tree between B and C pillars.
The only problem is.. this is a zoomed-in picture. From driver's seat, the image inside the left fish-eye mirror is very small and not as useful as it should've been.

The stock right-ORVM shows the house in the background and stops at a bush next to the tiny shed. No part of the shed is seen.
Yet again, the fish-eye has done a great job in revealing the scene. This one on the right mirror, being very near to the driver, provides excellent vision.

Well worth the investment.
Attached Thumbnails
10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-img_8977.jpg  

10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-img_8979.jpg  

10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-img_8980.jpg  

10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-img_9005.jpg  

10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-img_9001.jpg  

10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-img_9006.jpg  

10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-img_9000.jpg  

scanD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 12:04   #36
Team-BHP Support

A few days back I was driving a friend's car with these mirrors installed and found them to be very disturbing, maybe because I am not accustomed to them. I was always having the feeling that something was coming up beside me, only to look and find the fish-eyes. Got very irritating after sometime.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 12:38   #37

Interesting link on a related note....

Disco ball-inspired mirror gets rid of driver's blind spot - CNN
Old 15th July 2012, 00:17   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using these mirrors for a while now and I must admit the are a boon in the highway esp. when the right ORVM in the laura is not convex.
Signal Mirror® Technology » Invented by Muth: Perfected by Muth
Old 15th July 2012, 13:18   #39
BHPian

A great reason to keep the convex mirror!

I totally vouch for these. I find it particularly useful when entering a road from an angle (Service road / by-lane etc) The original rear view mirror will only show you whats directly behind the car.

But since the convex add-on has a greater degree of coverage, you can actually see a useful part of the road you're entering.

Also handy on highways if you want to change multiple lanes to exit.

Here's a drawing to help you see things better. (Pun intended)

10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-convex-mirrors.jpg
Tassem is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 11:13   #40
BHPian

Re: A great reason to keep the convex mirror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I totally vouch for these. I find it particularly useful when entering a road from an angle (Service road / by-lane etc) The original rear view mirror will only show you whats directly behind the car.

But since the convex add-on has a greater degree of coverage, you can actually see a useful part of the road you're entering.

Also handy on highways if you want to change multiple lanes to exit.

Attachment 956774
I would rather prefer to turn my head or crane my neck out to see the approaching vehicles when I join the roads like this.

The fish-eye mirrors give you a distorted view of oncoming traffic with absolutely no way to estimate their distance and angle correctly. I am certain I will crash if I have to rely on these alone.

Last edited by racer_m : 16th July 2012 at 11:15.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I totally vouch for these. I find it particularly useful when entering a road from an angle (Service road / by-lane etc)
Attachment 956774
The illustration is actually wrong.
1)The position of the white car is too late for getting any visual cues to avoid danger. It's almost in the middle of the road. Ideal method would be to slow down before joining the main lane and look out sideways for fast moving traffic through your front window glass.
2) None of the highways(new as well as the relaid ones) have such a design wherein the service lane joins the main lane in such an awkward manner.

Last edited by Daewood : 16th July 2012 at 11:49.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 12:14   #42
BHPian

While users of the add-on mirrors might find them useful, I personally find them very difficult to use- the field of vision is increased, but the image is smaller- you have to concentrate more to make out details. I am more of an old school driver- if you can't make out what is behind you, SLOW DOWN and crane your head to make sure. This is the reason I slow down to 3-4 kms/hr or stop when taking a turn at intersections when I can't see the traffic properly. I drive so sedately that sometimes truck-wallahs overtake me. But my record speaks for itself- zero collisions, scratches, or near misses in over six years of driving. Of course, I have been rear-ended at traffic lights a couple of times, but that was at a standstill.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 12:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 956774
So you get rid of your blind spots in such a road after you put your car's nose first into the road you are getting into?

The stick-on convex lenses are always a distraction and eats away major portion of your important visibility and it doesnt help you getting a reference as to how far away the following vehicle is, a reason why convex mirrors were never used RVMs even though they offer extended visibility of the following traffic.

The best solution that the manufacturers are moving towards, is this...

10 Reasons to Ditch the Stick-on Fish-eye Convex Blind Spot Mirror-ford_fiesta_11.jpg

A convex lens on the outside of the conventional SVMs!

Last edited by anachronix : 16th July 2012 at 12:39.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, except for points #2 & #3 most of the others pretty lame!

And this seems more like a business gimmick.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

The dumbest logic I have ever heard of on that website. They are called blind spot mirrors for a reason. If positioned correctly they help you see what is in your blind spot without having to turn your head. I used the rectangular ones consistently in south Africa and Mozambique and found them most useful. It really works

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks