Team-BHP - Actual use of Rear-View mirrors
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Actual use of Rear-View mirrors (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/34016-actual-use-rear-view-mirrors.html)

I guess this must be a hotly debated topic on the forum, but after last evenings experience, I just had to post this.

I travel often by the company bus, which comes into many "heavy traffic areas". Last evening was no different, we came into a lull in traffic movement, and then i noticed this...

There was this idiot - in a white santro - trying to move from the left lane to the right lane; mind you - this is on a one way street; he kept turning back, for a minute i was wondering "what the hell"? -then i noticed, the ORVM was neatly folded in, and then RVM was turned away. :Shockked: (this is from the back- you cannot make out the drivers face)

The guy held up traffic in an already congested area because he kept turning back to see what was coming and what was not.

I was so very pissed. honestly - a) people dont have basic driving sense on how to use safety equipment, and b) no brains.

I think the government MUST make it mandatory for all driving schools to teach the students basics of road use, equipment use (including ORVMs and INDICATORS) and road etiquettes.

Madan, you can find a few of this ilk in Delhi/NCR too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madan80 (Post 680857)
I guess this must be a hotly debated topic on the forum, but after last evenings experience, I just had to post this.

I travel often by the company bus, which comes into many "heavy traffic areas". Last evening was no different, we came into a lull in traffic movement, and then i noticed this...

There was this idiot - in a white santro - trying to move from the left lane to the right lane; mind you - this is on a one way street; he kept turning back, for a minute i was wondering "what the hell"? -then i noticed, the ORVM was neatly folded in, and then RVM was turned away. :Shockked: (this is from the back- you cannot make out the drivers face).

Agreed!
People apparently are more concerned about loosing their ORVMs than running into other road users. I see a many morons driving with their mirrors folded here in Pune, and its always tricky to overtake them. These people usually suffer from the symptoms so characteristic of poor 'drivers' such as ignorance about lanes, road signs, right of way, headlight usage etc. These people very often mange to ruin one's driving experience completely! :Frustrati Oh, and those motorcycle riders who remove their mirrors to look 'cool'...

Its far too easy to get hold of a driving license in this country.

I have a way of dealing with these guys; if someone cuts into my lane rudely, (i.e. without any indication and with poor justification for the move) I don't give way. Many cars have had their paintwork restyled by my left corner. I am considering installing those cutters seen in the movie Ben-Hur. ;)

Do you know that the auto drivers use the RVMs to actually monitor the passenger & not the traffic ? Not at all surprising.

when taking my driving classes in Dubai, it was enforced that to make a turn from one lane to another, one had to have a look at center RVM, then the side mirrors and also the blind spots before making the change. since this was asked to be done each and every time a change of lane was required, you naturally get tuned to it. This also gets checked during your driving test.

if followed, this is one of the best ways to use the RVM's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 680863)
Madan, you can find a few of this ilk in Delhi/NCR too.

Specially the lady drivers, with "L" sign on front and rear widshields..:Frustrati

My driving test was with the AA in Bombay, driving a Corolla with both ORVMs (ofcourse). On one of the turns I used the mirrors while making the turn--as usual. But the inspector said I should use both the mirrors AND TURN my head as well just to be sure the blind spots have been covered.

Delhi has some of the worst 'educated' drivers and it's sometimes awkward to tell those otherwise moneyed, educated folks how to use the lights or mirrors.

I feel there's a desparate need to review driving schools and testing system to help improve the experience both for veteran and novice drivers.

When my relative was learning driving (at 50+) his mentality was to look where you want to go, and not bother about the vehicles behind--the rest of the drivers will manage themselves!

And I'm thinking here's another devil in the making. Kya bolega...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo (Post 680880)
Its far too easy to get hold of a driving license in this country.

Yes, very true, most of the time the driving test is a joke. I still remember mine where I was told to drive in a straight line on an empty road for about 100 mtrs and then asked to do a U-turn - cos the driving inspector wanted to get into another test car on the opposite side of the road. I saw a car approaching from the other side, so waited for it to pass before making the U-Turn and the driving inspector actually screamed at me to cut ahead before the other car passed. I glared at him and waited anyway.

Quote:

I have a way of dealing with these guys; if someone cuts into my lane rudely, (i.e. without any indication and with poor justification for the move) I don't give way. Many cars have had their paintwork restyled by my left corner. I am considering installing those cutters seen in the movie Ben-Hur. ;)
Hasn't your left corner been restyled in the process?lol:

But seriously, even bike riders on mumbais eastern express highway cut lanes without giving any indication whatsoever, that too at speeds of 80-90 kmph. Its as if the onus of their lives is at the hands of the other 4 wheeler drivers on the road. Callous idiots.

the bikers will cut in front of you, and then for no reason Brake! which is a LOT worse.:Frustrati

Was traveling with a family friend the other day, and when it became dark, he turned the RVM away... so naturally i queried.. and his response was.. i dont like the glare... (what ever happed to the "anti glare" marketing schpeel? )

any L board is taught to drive - in the middle of the road - which is VERY annoying. .. they straddle the lanes like a horse..and not allow you to pass on either side.:Frustrati

Man the first thing I did after I got my licence at the age of 18 was to buy a left side mirror for my dads maruti 800. I did the the same thing when I borrowed my cousins yamahaRX135 to learn to ride it (he had removed both mirrors). But now i am learning to drive a bus but the one at the driving school doesnt have a mirror on the left side:Shockked: and the one on the right side just doesnt stay in one place:Frustrati . I just cant understand how people manage to drive without mirrors.

RVM’s & Other important things:
Rear View Mirror’s is very important device of safe driving on all types of roads. In India all the big and small cities, people are getting new cars and but still many drivers lacks perfect driving skills. I am driving for more than 20 yrs in KSA, I always keep eye on RVM’s on both sides and center RVM’s. But I get disturbed when I was driving in India, no matter whatever indicators you give and follow traffic lights, but still
People drive and does not care about the rules.
Unless Traffic authorities make strict rules for all types of drivers to follow standard driving rules:[list][*]RVM’s must for all vehicles[*]No tinting of glass all sides[*]Follow traffic signals[*]No rash driving[*]Speed tracks clearly marked for speed and last tracks for slow vehicles[*]Track for heavy vehicles only[*]Hazard lights when to use (sudden stopping or if car has trouble)[*]Proper parking of car and not obstructing the other road users[*]Orientation/Education: Perfect Driving Skills Orientation by media, TV, internet, etc.[*]Police Interceptor car or motorcycle presence will prevent drivers from attempting to breaks traffic rules.[*]]Fog lights also helpful in some places while driving in fog. In desert we face sand storms and fog and driving become dangerous. All young and old drivers to be given compulsory short workshop to follow standard driving skills, speed tracks and service road concept.

A fine example can be taken from UAE, in Dubai as most of our friend knows, most of the roads Controlled by Radar, Roads are clearly marked for speed tracks, heavy vehicles. If any driver breaks traffic rules, 3 Cameras simultaneously flashed 3 snaps of traffic violator’s car (driver, number plate & car) and violators were fined heavy penalty.

Road development is very important factor, fast development of road network inside the city specially where dense traffic movement is observed, under pass road or over pass flyovers will reduce the problems to some extent.

Mod Note: Please do not use formatting tags. They do not work. Posts will be deleted in future.

Wish everybody have safe driving and pleasant trip.

I always prefer having mirrors (all 3 of them) open and ready.
My Indica did not come factory fitted with LRVM, i went and got it fitted. Helps a lot while turning and changing lanes. I think the government must make both sides ORVMs mandatory on all cars.
In my current car, I use all three.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madan80 (Post 681048)
the bikers will cut in front of you, and then for no reason Brake! which is a LOT worse.:Frustrati

Was traveling with a family friend the other day, and when it became dark, he turned the RVM away... so naturally i queried.. and his response was.. i dont like the glare... (what ever happed to the "anti glare" marketing schpeel? )

any L board is taught to drive - in the middle of the road - which is VERY annoying. .. they straddle the lanes like a horse..and not allow you to pass on either side.:Frustrati

Whenever anybody brakes in front of me all of a sudden, I will have a glance in my RVM to check whether anybody has hit from behind. I use 2 RVMs whenever I drive. (RVM and Right RVM). :)

I usually overtake whenever I see a L boards/autos/ladies driving a vehicle. Not to disturbe them in traffic or get myself to safety from getting banged.:D

In addition to using the RVMs, it is a good practice to look over the shoulder to check for any vehicles in the blind spot. This is one of the key parameters on which an individual is evaluated in his driving test in the US. I doubt how many people in our country even know of this. Also, it is easy to preach but difficult to practice in our country since we may end up with no RVMs within no time, thanks to our indomitably disciplined traffic !:Frustrati