Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 14:09   #31
Team-BHP Support

Manim: From your post it appears.
That to avoid damaging your tires, you occupy 2 lanes at a time.

Is that not a very selfish way of driving.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
There is this problem with our new 4-lane roads.
There are this light-reflecting-stickers jutting out between the lanes which are good to look at in the night but it can damage my expensive tyres when I switch lanes too-much. .

Buddy those light reflective stickers could be a life saver at night especially on badly lit roads. It is very helpful in identifying the turns and twists on the road. They are designed not to cause damage to your tyre.

Quote:
So when I drive on roads with sparse traffic, I tend to let these stickers pass between my tyres, thus driving in the middle of two lanes.
Why don't you just stick to your lane and let them pass by your sides?

Quote:
In fact I feel that these stickers are downright dangerous since it affects my manoeuvrability.
They are not dangerous unless your tyre is already on its last leg and should have long been replaced. A pot hole would do much greater damage to your tyres than this reflector.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2010, 14:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Manim: From your post it appears.
That to avoid damaging your tires, you occupy 2 lanes at a time.

Is that not a very selfish way of driving.
Yes it is wrong, but I can do it only when there is sparse traffic.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

just a tip.When you see a heavy vehicle like a lorry/bus/truck coming you way by overtaking another vehicle then please slow down your speed until he overtakes that vehicle.if we are careless then we will be in the centre of an accident wrekage. If the opposite vehicle comes towards you be ready to take the vehicle on footpath.I did this and saved my family at the nth moment.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few tips for driving on highways:

1. Look out for big stones lined up perpendicular to the edges of the road, on the outside. Chances are there is a local variety speedbreaker between them. You will normally find them jsut before a village or a small town.

2. Look out for fallen tree branches on the road. Chances are that there was a lorry or bus or truck broken down there which has since moved on and there is a strong likelihood that a big stone is also lying there somewhere.

3. On highways, drive with your headlights on. I know i know that headlights are meant for night use only and all that jazz but your car becomes more visible to that villager nonchalantly crossing the road than otherwise.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2010, 17:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

@amitoj
Nice tips there. These come from long miles on the highway so better watch out!
Old 12th January 2010, 17:49   #37
J.Ravi

Quote:
There is this problem with our new 4-lane roads.
There are this light-reflecting-stickers jutting out between the lanes which are good to look at in the night but it can damage my expensive tyres when I switch lanes too-much. So when I drive on roads with sparse traffic, I tend to let these stickers pass between my tyres, thus driving in the middle of two lanes.
In fact I feel that these stickers are downright dangerous since it affects my manoeuvrability.
In technical jargon, they are known as cat eyes. Cat eyes are safety features, which not only illuminates the boundaries of the road and lanes during night, but also alerts the drowsy driver during lane-changing by creating sound and vibration. They are designed in such a way not to damage vehicle tyres. Driving in two lanes simultaneously is dangerous.

Old 12th January 2010, 22:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
......Those idiots who drive with their orvms folded in, of course, have much extended blind spots, as do those who simply don't use their mirrors.
Try driving in Bangalore with both wings (ORVMs) spread and you will be visiting your Service Agency everyday for replacing them.

While driving in the city I always keep my left ORVM folded. (The Motor Vehicles Act mandates only the Driver-side ORVM - correct me if I am wrong). Many a times I hurriedly pull in my rightside ORVM too on narrow roads to facilitate the oncoming traffic to pass me without injuring it. ( Car owners and two-wheeler drivers seem to be blissfully ignorant of the fact that their vehicle-width exceeds by as many inches as their ORVMS jut out.)

Oh yes, while on highways I keep both of them open and recently I read an article on what should be the best way to adjust them to eliminate blindspots. Tomorrow I am on a long drive again. I shall try it and then write about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
...Cat eyes are safety features, which not only illuminates the boundaries of the road and lanes during night, but also alerts the drowsy driver during lane-changing by creating sound and vibration.....
On highways this is really a boon. When there is hardly any traffic, many times during the relaxed driving ( I wouldn't say I was drowsy) I had strayed slightly from my lane to be alerted by the thud thud sound of the wheels running over the cats eyes.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:52   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd like to add to Longhorn's excellent tip about looking ahead...

It's called reading the road... Look to see what is happening and what might happen.

A basic example is if you are about to overtake: looking ahead, you see an obstruction on the left, and know that the car in front must pull out, so you hold back to give him room.

Chennai bikers are the most lacking in this skill: they drive as if everything else on the road is static.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

While on the subject, though i hate to admit it, the fact of the matter is that we in India, are a very ill mannered lot on the roads. Each and everyone wants to just shove his way through. Even if that person who comes in the minority gives way to one vehicle, others following him just barge in. This can put him off so that he decides its no longer prudent to be courteous on Indian roads. We lack even basic courtesy when it comes to road manners. How many of us actually give way to pedestrians at a zebra crossing? It's a different matter that pedestrians have the right of way and 99% of road users are unaware of the fact. For a change, let us stop at a zebra crossing and give way to pedestrians. I'm sure they would want to thank you from the bottom of their heart for your gesture, and if its some elderly person, who knows, they might even remember you in their prayers! What a way to start the day!

Last edited by longhorn : 13th January 2010 at 11:20.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2010, 11:28   #41
Team-BHP Support

Don't take known roads for granted.

When we are used to a particular road, we tend to get into a comfort zone.
Knowing exactly where the road is broken etc.

But sometimes roads change overnight.

Or the bump you know may end up surprising the driver in front. Who in his panic may end up braking hard and surprising you.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
Try driving in Bangalore with both wings (ORVMs) spread and you will be visiting your Service Agency everyday for replacing them.

While driving in the city I always keep my left ORVM folded. (The Motor Vehicles Act mandates only the Driver-side ORVM - correct me if I am wrong). Many a times I hurriedly pull in my rightside ORVM too on narrow roads to facilitate the oncoming traffic to pass me without injuring it. ( Car owners and two-wheeler drivers seem to be blissfully ignorant of the fact that their vehicle-width exceeds by as many inches as their ORVMS jut out.)
OVRMs are as useful in city as they are on Highways. I am driving in Bangalore for last 9 years and for sure I can say this- Not once I have lost OVRM because of driving in Bangalore. I have lost my left OVRM just recently due to People (Supposedly fans of Vishnuvardhan) who broke the same on the day of Vishnu's funeral. For almost 1 week I was without left OVRM and I felt almost half blind and was always worrying about some biker on the left of my car scratching the car.

Left OVRMs are useful also to do Parallel Parking.
DieselFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2010, 12:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
Been driving in Bangalore for almost 7 years, with both of ORVMs spread out. So far i have had to replace them only once, and that too 5 years back.

In fact, in city driving, you need them even more because of the randomness of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Left OVRMs are useful also to do Parallel Parking.
They are also useful as indicators about how close the car on your left is to you
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2010, 12:34   #44
BHPian

It is a mistaken belief that unfolded ORVMs will lead to damages. I have been driving in Hyderabad traffic without anyone damaging my ORVMs and people can tell you how we Hyderabadis like to snug to other drivers.

Many of the modern cars infact have ORVMs that recoil or bend backwards on impact so that there is no actual damage.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Been driving in Bangalore for almost 7 years, with both of ORVMs spread out. So far i have had to replace them only once, and that too 5 years back.

In fact, in city driving, you need them even more because of the randomness of traffic.

They are also useful as indicators about how close the car on your left is to you
+1!! One needs it even more in the city. I drive around in Bangalore with both my ORVMs spread out and never had to replace them. Yes, at times people have hit my ORVMs but fortunately Corolla ORVM folds both ways and hence never broke the mirror. But I feel handicapped even if one of the mirror is folded or not available.

Nainar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks