Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 13:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driving Guide : Rules, Tips, Etiquette & Common Mistakes To Avoid

I searched the forum for a comprehensive guide on driving in general, what to do, what not to do and when to do what. I could not come across one hence this thread. I was even more surprised to find that many people on the forum are doing things the wrong way. I hope this thread stands as an eye opener and people in general and bhpians in particular strive to correct,contribute and elighten people on what should and what should not be done.
longhorn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2010, 13:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Usage of Hazard Lights

Rule:
The Hazard light is meant to indicate a Hazard. It should not be used for any other purpose. In the event your car is stranded due to a breakdown / flat tyre for something similar, or is being towed, then you use the hazard light to indicate to the vehicles approaching you, to proceed with caution.

Mistake:
The Hazard light must not be used to indicate that you intend to go straight at an intersection.
At an intersection, you use the right/left indicators to signal your intention to turn right/left. No indicators blinking means you wish to go straight at an intersection !

Last edited by longhorn : 9th January 2010 at 13:43.
longhorn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th January 2010, 13:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Rule:
The Hazard light is meant to indicate a Hazard. It should not be used for any other purpose. In the event your car is stranded due to a breakdown / flat tyre for something similar, or is being towed, then you use the hazard light to indicate to the vehicles approaching you, to proceed with caution.

Mistake:
The Hazard light must not be used to indicate that you intend to go straight at an intersection.
At an intersection, you use the right/left indicators to signal your intention to turn right/left. No indicators blinking means you wish to go straight at an intersection !
You are right. But the habit of using the hazard lights while parking, during rains, while reversing has caught on and is spreading like a contagious disease. This need to be stopped.

Another habit is flashing of headlights. This also is too common and people use it for everything. In Kerals roads the bikers use it every minute. Probably they feels that by doing this they can do whatever is possible including gross rules violation. Is a real pity.
rajeev k is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th January 2010, 14:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Right of way at roundabouts

Rule:
A vehicle that is approaching a roundabout must give way to traffic coming from his right. A vehicle that is in the roundabout has priority over a vehicle that is approaching the roundabout. Once you have entered, you have priority over traffic on your left that is approaching the roundabout.

Mistake:
Use of indicators in a roundabout can be misleading and downright dangerous if not properly used.
In case of single lane roundabouts, do not attempt to overtake inside the roundabout. You might not be able to predict which exit the vehicle in front of you intends to take. Once you have entered the roundabout you should not stop to give way to traffic on your left. This could lead to a dead lock. Enter the roundabout in the correct lane (in case of multi lane roundabouts)depending on the direction in which you wish to go.

Last edited by Dippy : 13th January 2010 at 13:13. Reason: On request
longhorn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2010, 14:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle ahead brakes suddenly, I ram him from behind - Who is at fault?

Rule :
The driver of a motor vehicle shall at all times maintain sufficient distance from the vehicle in front of him.

Mistake:
He braked suddenly so I rammed into him.
You should at all times maintain sufficient distance from the vehicle in front of you to ensure smooth braking. Each vehicle differs from another in terms of their length,width, engine capacity,braking efficiency etc. The driver of the vehicle ought to know his vehicle's capability and maintain sufficient distance from the vehicle in front of him. If you ram in from behind, it's your fault -no questions asked.
longhorn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2010, 15:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

How to overtake on multi lane highways

The method to be followed for overtaking on multi lane highways is totally different from what we normally use on single lane highways

Etiquette:

Step 1.
Always maintain sufficient distance from the vehicle in front of you which you wish to overtake. Do not tailgate or overtake from the left lane.

Step 2.
Switch on your right indicator to inidcate that you wish to change lanes to the one on your right.

Step 3. (This is where we normally mess up)
Use your internal rear view mirror to check whether there is any oncoming traffic from behind you in the lane you which to switch over to. If there is no traffic, double check for any blind spot using your right external rear view mirror.

Step 4.
If everything is clear, you can switch over to the right lane now. Ensure that your indicator is switched off once you have completed the lane change. If you leave you indicator on people behind you might misunderstand that you want to shift to the next lane( assuming there's one more lane on your right) or worse still, you want to take a right turn at the next approaching intersection.

Step 5.
You should not keep continue to move forward in the fast lane unless you want to continue overtaking some more vehicles. If the left lane in front of you is free, switch back to the left lane with proper indication. This will ensure smooth flow of traffic in case someone behind you wants to overtake.

Last edited by longhorn : 9th January 2010 at 15:18.
longhorn is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th January 2010, 16:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ long horn,
Nice work mate.

Very very basic and elemental stuff, yet people fail to understand these.

Half the accidents/ traffic conditions would have been avoided if people follow lane discipline and follow the rules.
Old 9th January 2010, 16:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Right of way at a zebra crossing

( I can bet that 9 people out of 10 would get this wrong !)

Rule:
Contrary to popular belief, pedestrians have the right of way, as soon as they start crossing the road. The driver of a motor vehicle, approaching a zebra crossing should stop his vehicle at the crossing if a pedestrian is crossing, or waiting to cross. This rule applies where there is no traffic signal to help pedestrians cross the road.

Mistake:
Hey I'm doing 50 kmph. It's easier for him to stop in his tracks and wait for eternity than for me to slam the brakes. Why should I stop for him?
longhorn is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th January 2010, 17:49   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I searched the forum for a comprehensive guide on driving in general, what to do, what not to do and when to do what. I could not come across one ... ... ...
You can find the British Highway Code online. Obviously it is aimed at UK drivers and specifically reflect UK law, but it's still a comprehensive guide to safe road use anywhere else.

<Later> Here's the Link: UK Highway Code

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th January 2010 at 17:55. Reason: added link
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2010, 18:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Some people think the horn is a NOS switch. Pressing the horn continuous will not speed up your vehicle. Overtake only if you think its possible and safe.
Its annoying when some one comes blaring from behind at a slower speed and keeps honking. Then he does an adventurous maneuver and overtakes only to slow down again.
Old 10th January 2010, 10:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Rule:
Contrary to popular belief, pedestrians have the right of way, as soon as they start crossing the road. The driver of a motor vehicle, approaching a zebra crossing should stop his vehicle at the crossing if a pedestrian is crossing, or waiting to cross. This rule applies where there is no traffic signal to help pedestrians cross the road.
Question: Is this applicable only at Zebra crossings or anywhere the pedestrian may please?
aroop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 10:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Question: Is this applicable only at Zebra crossings or anywhere the pedestrian may please?
Only zebra crossings

Else you will find that everybody wants to become a zebra everywhere
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 12:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
As mentioned by vigsom, it is applicable only at zebra crossings. Zebra crossings are (supposed to be) clearly marked on the road with alternate black and white stripes. Kindly note that this rule is not applicable at a pedestrian crossing supported by a traffic signal. Here the pedestrian is supposed to cross the road only when the pedestrian light turns green.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 15:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Driving Tips - Basics

1. Always wear your seat belt however short the drive may be.
2. Do not drink and drive.
3. Obey traffic rules.
4. Adjust your mirrors to maximize your viewing field before starting to drive.
5. Pay attention !
6. Do not tailgate.
7. Anticipate the flow of traffic. It helps to reduce acceleration and braking requirements.
8. Try to maintain a steady speed as far as possible. Too much of braking and acceleration will lead to excessive fuel consumption.
9. Use indicators only for what they are meant.
10. Do not drive after taking medicine that actuates drowsiness.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 15:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I've mentioned before, this is a trick question that was popular with instructors when I learnt in UK. Actually, I think I head it first from my father...

"When does a pedestrian have right of way"

... student easily trots out pedestrian crossings of one kind or another...

"and?"

... student remembers some other stuff from the highway code, like, when crossing a side road...

"and?"

...student scratches head...

The answer is --- always: it is against the law to run them over!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed