Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 21:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Nope. Its either a VXi or VDi. LXi/LDi 's dont sport black wheels.
Its a Vxi. Vdi have body colored door handles.

Maibaa: Is there any confirmation if the Swift guys were drunk?
Old 18th April 2010, 21:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Don't want to get into the nitty gritty guys- but I have seen claims like this in US, and just speaking from my experience!
Old 18th April 2010, 21:50   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Had it been Zxi, would airbags have saved anybody from injuries in the swift?!
I don't think so. The swift is crumpled like a matchbox. Airbags wouldn't have helped. See the Cedia. Only the front end is smashed. The passenger compartment is intact. It would have protected the occupants even without Airbags. Mitsubishi's rallying experience to thank here.
Old 18th April 2010, 21:52   #19
BHPian

Good to know you and family are safe now. Sorry to hear about your mother's injury. ope she recover soon.

Guys, please do not give such verdict like whose fault was this. This is a rare scenario, where some vehicle from opposite lane hit first.
Old 18th April 2010, 22:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
What I understood from reading the description - is that the swift crossed over and hit the sumo , which made it turn right angles. As per maiba, he had 'no time to react', that proves he was following the sumo at a distance which was shorter than his reaction time + braking distance.
Defensive driving is all about having the time to react and making the right decision.
Well, anyone traveling between Bangalore and Mysore regularly will know the traffic conditions on a Sunday night and particularly on the Ramanagaram to Bangalore stretch. The curvy road is full of vehicles and safe distance is anything about 20 to 30 feet only. It would be very different if the Sumo had braked suddenly in which case I am sure that I would have had enough time to react. This was like the Sumo stopping dead right on its tracks and turning towards me all of a sudden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Were you the last car involved?
No my car was not the last one involved. The oncoming swift hit another Santro after hitting the Sumo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
If you don’t mind, can you tell about the experience of deployment of airbags? like did it hit you? after how much time did they deflate? please answer only if you feel comfortable.
Airbags deploy as soon as there is frontal impact and no they don’t hit the passengers if seatbelts are worn. I don’t remember myself even hitting the airbags but I could see and hear the airbags deploy with a “shush” kind of sound. They slowly deflate in about 2 to 3 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Cedia : I think you should get it repaired & then sell it off as that will fetch you more money than just selling it for scrap. It did take the impact really well. What is the estimate for it? I think you can get it repaired for anywhere between 1-1.5 lacs.
The Service center has a long list of parts and the estimate is somewhere around 7.5 Lakhs. I heard that this might change as some parts might actually not be required if the existing ones are in working condition.
Old 18th April 2010, 22:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Good that everything was okay at the end

Edit: Edited the content

Last edited by Surprise : 18th April 2010 at 22:04.
Old 18th April 2010, 22:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good that you and your family is safe. The injuries might have been graver. Just goes on to prove that you can never be too careful while driving especially on highways in night.
Old 18th April 2010, 22:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Maibaa,

Did u remember whether u removed the foot from the accelerator? or U crashed onto the sumo with your foot on the accelerator? (Iam guessing that you never has a chance to place your foot on the brake pedal)

Guys:

What would be the case of a sedan with no safety features like ABS or Airbag in place of Cedia with the driver and co-passenger with seat belts ON?

What would have been the case if it was on a DAY?

Last edited by Surprise : 18th April 2010 at 22:37.
Old 18th April 2010, 22:58   #24
BANNED

Good to know everyone is fine from your family.

1 Drunk moron effected so many lives. Why do these people drink and drive. Probably, he got his punishment but I pray he should get more from God. Other swift occupants should also be punished for allowing the driver to drink and drive, that too on the wrong way.

If they were not drunk. Hope the souls R.I.P.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:02   #25
BHPian

Dear Maibaa,
thank God that your family has been saved from this big accident.The fact that you were driving at about 70 - 80 km/hr may be a major factor in saving the kid who fell on to your windshield.

It shows how important is to buy a safer car preferably with Airbags,even if the varient not VFM.Life is precious ,not money.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:21   #26
BHPian

This incident also drives home the point that all passengers, including those in the rear should buckle up. A child getting thrown out of a car into another car's windscreen, scary.

@Maibaa, All of u are ok by gods grace, that's what matters at the end of the day.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:33   #27
BHPian

@ Maibaa : thank god your family is safe, wish your mom a speedy recovery. I also recall some a few places in ramnagar are poorly lit, was this one of those spots ? but yes this has nothing to do with the pileup as the swift came from the opposite direction and jumped the median.

OT: when the airbag is deployed what is the procedure to put it back in or do they replace the whole set with new ones ? can anyone shed some light on this please.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
OT: when the airbag is deployed what is the procedure to put it back in or do they replace the whole set with new ones ? can anyone shed some light on this please.
It needs to be completely replaced.

Last edited by akas_chauhan : 18th April 2010 at 23:37.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
@ Maibaa : thank god your family is safe, wish your mom a speedy recovery. I also recall some a few places in ramnagar are poorly lit, was this one of those spots ? but yes this has nothing to do with the pileup as the swift came from the opposite direction and jumped the median.

Airbags are one time use only, and one has to replace the entire dashboard alongwith the steering wheel (containing new airbags and deployment system). same thing should be done for pretensioning system of seatbelts.
Old 19th April 2010, 00:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Maibaa, it's a miracle that you and your family survived with just minor injuries. Your mom was a little worse off, but I think it's still ok.

Because it was a modern car, a Cedia, you guys were well protected. See the car. Hardly any intrusion into the passenger cabin! That too after a crash at a speed of 80kmph or so. This is a testament to the design of modern cars with good crumple zones. The Sumo, which people mistakenly believe to be a safer car simply because it is made of heavy steel and is bigger and heavier is much worse off!

I'm really shocked at your accident, but relieved that you guys are safe.

I feel really bad that you might have to scrap the car. I love the Cedia and just thinking of scrapping it is painful.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks