Team-BHP - Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/86897-accidents-vehicles-catching-fire-india.html)

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Haryana

UP IN FLAMES: A Scorpio catches fire due to short circuit in Prem Nagar locality in Ambala on Friday. The car’s owner had a narrow escape in the incident. — Tribune photo by Kamal Sachar

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-har2.jpg

Found this on the Tribunenews site today, thought it would compliment this thread.

Now this is a second dangerous incident about scorpio. The first one being one of the wheel overtaking the car and now this incident.
Both these incidents will soon land in some bollywood movie.
That's reliability.

Anyone has more details on this.....?

This is serious for Scorpio owners and others considering purchase of the same. It is important also to know what could be the cause.. some objective data from someone on the ground would be very useful.

--Ramky

the photo looks real scary,must have been a real big malfunction for the car to go up in flames like this

Certainly worrisome if it happens to be a problem endemic to Scorpio.
Not so worrisome if it is the result of ill-fitted accessories or some shoddy workmanship.
If either is at the behest of authorized service centres, it would be utterly inexcusable. Must get more details about this.

This is a bad incident of a car catching fire. However coming to conclusions about the reliability or trustworthiness of the product is not justified. There are more than one technical reasons attached to incidents like these. A wire damaged by anyone or even normal wear and tear of wire could lead to short circuit and also result in fire. The best thing to avoid such things from happening to us is by making sure that every thing is done by an authorized service center.

Generally these are one off incidences with a lot of reasons attached behind the accident and are not conclusive of the reliability or build quality of the product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 883973)
A wire damaged by anyone or even normal wear and tear of wire could lead to short circuit and also result in fire.

While I agree with what you have said, I wouldn't go with the normal wear & tear bit. That would make it 'defective' wiring. Maybe after many many years (10 or 15?) it could be argued that some wiring degraded, but certainly not in less than that kind of term.
I suspect it is more often accessories and bad workmanship that result in such mishaps.

A fire can happen in any vehicle anywhere. Especially if some accessory has been fitted with a shoddy wiring job. I dont think this is an endemic problem with the Scorpio.
Maybe the press hasnt been able to cover any other vehicle catching fire.lol:

This is the third such incident reported with a Scorpio (see YouTube - burning scorpio car in sarita vihar and YouTube - MAHINDRA SCORPIO + one more incident from Kerala), but it makes no difference as the investigations into such incidents - if any - will never be carried out with any level of thoroughness. It may well be badly fitted accessories, but one will never know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babureddy (Post 883923)
Now this is a second dangerous incident about scorpio. The first one being one of the wheel overtaking the car and now this incident.
Both these incidents will soon land in some bollywood movie.
That's reliability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramkya1 (Post 883946)
Anyone has more details on this.....?

This is serious for Scorpio owners and others considering purchase of the same. It is important also to know what could be the cause.. some objective data from someone on the ground would be very useful.

--Ramky

I hope this doesnt turn into another Scorpio Bashing thread. Just because a car catches fire that doesnt mean it is a cause of concern for all other owners too. As seen with most of these casses, it is always a case of rubbish acessories. I bet that the scorpio in question would have had plently of that rubbish put into it. Especially after seeing that stupid crash guard on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus43 (Post 884047)
I hope this doesnt turn into another Scorpio Bashing thread. Just because a car catches fire that doesnt mean it is a cause of concern for all other owners too. As seen with most of these casses, it is always a case of rubbish acessories. I bet that the scorpio in question would have had plently of that rubbish put into it. Especially after seeing that stupid crash guard on it.

this is not about Scorpio Bashing, but should'nt it be a concern cause of three such incidents reported.
Regarding the crash guard, a lot of Scorpio's/Safaris and have seen few innovas with such a crash guard. But i feel a bit more information on this will actually clear the questions raised here.

such incidents can happen in any vehicle it doest mean anything with scorpio ..i hope its not another thread bashing scopio.....if so then proceeeeeed :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigman (Post 883777)
The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Haryana
The car’s owner had a narrow escape in the incident.
Attachment 24915

that sentence in bold is just sensationalism. Narrow escape? when he's had time to get out of the car and put the bonnet up and place the stand in the correct slot?

I'd say the owner escaped with plenty of time to spare.

however, scorpios do seem to be going up in flames rather frequently like steeroid pointed out.

It would be interesting to know what caused the fire.

May be the owner had after market gizmos fitted, who knows we can only speculate. I have seen some seriously dodgy aftermarket ICE fitments. In one they even used paper stickers instead of insulation tape.

As I see it, this is a one off incident and does not / should not be taken for the vehicles reliability. For all we know, it might be due to faulty wiring (I am sure this will be the line taken by the insurance people) and this can happen to any vehicle on our roads.

Anyway, this come no where near the Ceilo's which were burning all around, a long time back.