Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 22:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A car accident, a life lost - need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But was the truck parked wrongly?
Also, trucks are supposed to have anti collision beams at the back and the sides that are supposed to prevent other vehicles from going under the truck. Based on your description, it seems these beams were not there.
I think the truck was on the move as well.

Pictures would certainly help here, more the better but I don't think suing Hyundai motors will help you in any way. If you are seeking answers, yes you might find it here. Sorry for your loss, cannot even fathom losing a loved one in an accident.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Radha ji,

My condolences first.

Secondly, I am no expert but in US/EU, high end vehicles come with side airbags. This accident sounds like a side impact where frontal airbags will not deploy - sounds like the vehicle as sold in India was not designed to protect that sort of impact.

As for the roof collapsing, it depends on the extent/angle of side impact and the impacted surface/object - roofs of any vehicle can collapse given sufficient force.

Either ways, there would be little merit in taking things forward
Old 5th January 2011, 00:16   #18
BHPian

My heartfelt condolences...This accident did send a chill through my spine since I too own a Hyundai Tucson and push the limits often.

Please keep in mind that Tucson does not have side curtain airbags (as is the case with almost every vehicles in its class). Also I remember reading on some Tucson specific forums that if the seat belts are'nt used, it would de-activate the airbags of that particular side. Was it ascertained if seat belts were used at the time of the accident?

Also doubts on whether the vehicle is built differently in India (cost cutting) can be put to rest since Tucson is a CBU import from Korea. One key difference though when compared to to the US spec model is that ESC (Electronic Stability Control) is not available in the model sold in India (and various other countries) where it is not made mandatory by law to have ESC.

One bugbear (at least with mine) with Tucson is that Airbag lights comes ON randomly. This has happened 3 times till now and in my case this was caused due to a faulty connector (intermittent contact) under the seat. Airbag circuits are designed to flag even momentary loss of connectivity in the loop since this is a life-saving device. Any mention of such issues in your case?

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 5th January 2011 at 00:34.
Old 5th January 2011, 13:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the incident.

From my ownership experience of the Hyundai Tucson, here are a few points:
1. The front seats have air bag sensors (to detect if the seats are occupied or not - the airbags will deploy only if the seats are occupied - at least the driver side).

In my case, the previous owner had stiched custom leather covers and in doing so disturbed the air-bag sensor and it's wiring. I got that rectified at Kothari Hyundai, where the service advisor told me that majority of car owners in India are unaware of this and don't care much when they get their leather seats done from independent workshops.

2. My Tucson came to me with the air-bag sensor wiring screwed up (diagnosed to have been chewed by rats). The service advisor really broke his head to debug and get it sorted out. It was a complex thing to debug and from the service records, it appeared that the previous owner had disabled the air-bag warning light!!!

3. Tyres have 3 things to watch out for:
- Age (even if unused, rubber has a finite shelf life - not more than 4 years I think)
- Wear and tear (can be checked from the markings across the side-walls)
- Air pressure (underinflated is OK for high speed highway runs. Over inflation is risky)

Again, this is a humble attempt to share what I have known/learnt from my ownership. It will be a good idea to check these details, confirm with the service center that all has always been well with the Tucson and then take it up with Hyundai.
Old 5th January 2011, 14:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Readha Shelat,

First my heart felt condolences. Feel deeply sorry about the incident.

Just curious to know whether you had communicated the insident to Hyundai motors and if you had any response from them. Now that Tuscon is no longer in the Hyundai stables, I really doubt whether you would get any respite. But if this is the state of affairs with a costly SUV, it scares me to imagine what about other models from Hyundai or for that matter other manufactuers who advertise heavily on the Air bags features. Considering the fact that Hyundai i20 has 6 air bags including the side air bags.
Old 5th January 2011, 14:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Air pressure (underinflated is OK for high speed highway runs. Over inflation is risky)

On the contrary, underinflation is very risky for highway/high speed runs, with increased risk of tyre blowout on account of rapid heat build up due to increased tyre wall flex in underinflated tyres. The information provided by tyre manufacturers, as mentioned in the link below, confirms this :

Dunlop Tires | Care & Maintenance | Proper Inflation

Regarding airbags, if the injury was directly to the head on account of the roof collapsing in with force, I do not see how airbag deployment could have prevented injury to the head in the case of this accident.

@Anandpadhye, it is good you have got the airbag issue resolved in your vehicle. Having all possible safety systems in place is a definite must
Old 5th January 2011, 14:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your husband.

A roof collapse is rare unless the vehicle actually rolls over.

Here's a side impact test vid for the Tuscon.

Shan2nu
Old 5th January 2011, 14:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

The pillars holding the roof are supposed to be strong. They are not supposed to let the roof cave in.
This is particularly important for SUVs since they are more prone to rollovers than others (remember the Ford Explorer and Firestone saga?).

So if you are wearing seat belts, you should be safe since you will not be hitting the roof or anything. Even convertibles with open roof depend on pillars for occupants safety.

Last edited by srishiva : 5th January 2011 at 14:45.
Old 5th January 2011, 14:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
A roof collapse is rare unless the vehicle actually rolls over.

Here's a side impact test vid for the Tuscon.
Most of trucks do not have beams to avoid cars going under its chassis. Roof crash can happen in that scenario as well.
Old 5th January 2011, 14:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of trucks do not have beams to avoid cars going under its chassis. Roof crash can happen in that scenario as well.
Hard to imagine a tall vehicle like the Tuscon going under a truck and getting it's roof chopped off.

Anyway, lets wait for the pics.

Shan2nu
Old 5th January 2011, 15:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

very sorry to hear and read of this. please accept my condolences.

Ref the roof caving in:

The Tucson is a monocoque where the entire body acts as the chassis.

It is definitely possible for the roof to cave in at high impact, in case the vehicle has
1. gone under the oncoming vehicle on impact
2. rolled over after impact

The monocoque chassis can act as a deterrent to this, upto an extent only.
If the impact is huge, then the A, B and even C Pillars can certainly cave in.

For a person sitting inside the vehicle, strapped into his/ her seat in case of impact on the side pillar, it can be fatal.

The Tucson comes with Driver and Passenger front Airbags - these normally would activate in the case of a full-frontal or even semi-frontal impact but not always during a side impact.

It also has side curtain airbags which should activate during a side impact or a roll over.

But even with all these airbags they are not completely fool proof against head injury, especially where the roof has completely collapsed.
Old 5th January 2011, 16:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It also has side curtain airbags which should activate during a side impact or a roll over.
I don't think that the Tucson sold in India (and a few other countries) comes with Side Curtain Airbags. At least I don't see any side airbag vent openings on my 2005 Tucson.

AFAIK US Spec versions comes with side curtain airbags as it is mandated by the law there.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 5th January 2011 at 16:32.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

My condolences and God bless his soul.

As Shanu said, the roof will collapse only if the vehicle rolls over which is possibility if one of the tyres burst at high speed but if the vehicle has hit sideways then it will prevent a rollover. Pictures can definitley give more information.
Old 5th January 2011, 21:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

thats news to me
I was under the impression that it also had side airbags.
I know for certain that it has the front ones but this comes as a bit of a surprise. thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I don't think that the Tucson sold in India (and a few other countries) comes with Side Curtain Airbags. At least I don't see any side airbag vent openings on my 2005 Tucson.

AFAIK US Spec versions comes with side curtain airbags as it is mandated by the law there.
Old 6th January 2011, 17:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

My heart-felt condolences.

As far as I know, no vehicle has much support when it comes to roof. Fatal injury can be due any number of causes even one wears seat belt, as mentioned by the other members.

But my attention is on tyre burst. What about the so-called run-flat tyres? Do they burst when under-inflated? As the cause of collision is the tyre burst which made the vehicle swerve, I believe any pursuance of the case with the car maker should also include the tyre manufacturer.

Roof-caving doesnt necessarily involve roll-over. Height of the truck's body needs to be taken into consideration and also the angle of tilt(if any) of the SUV while colliding should be taken into consideration.

I dont think side air bags would have deployed (if present) if the vehicle is hit near the top of A - pillar / on the edges of roof.

Last edited by simplyself : 6th January 2011 at 17:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks