Team-BHP - Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/96036-child-safety-safe-driving-indian-roads-14.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2448816)
Fantastic, they should be pretty good at it too. Since they sell car seats and have seen people pick some up in front of me.
BTW there is one more Mom & Me at either Phoenix or Inorbit.
So in case you are headed toward Nagar rd then you will have not one but two options. one being Mom&Me and the other being Mothercare.

Sorry mdsaab, I missed putting up an update. I went to Mom & me in Aundh and they removed all the advanced fittings on the seat and left it just like that on the rear seat. So now the only way this is attached is by the seat belt over the child and car seat, no other fittings!
So if my son removes the seat belt, he and the car seat are likely to fall. nevertheless, it does seem to be the case in the manual too, though I would be happier if the car seat was fixed somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2468007)
Sorry mdsaab, I missed putting up an update. I went to Mom & me in Aundh and they removed all the advanced fittings on the seat and left it just like that on the rear seat. So now the only way this is attached is by the seat belt over the child and car seat, no other fittings!
So if my son removes the seat belt, he and the car seat are likely to fall. nevertheless, it does seem to be the case in the manual too, though I would be happier if the car seat was fixed somewhere.

SD what are the advanced settings in the car seat? is it the isofix mount points? Please post a pic, so i can get a better idea.
Also i had posted about special offers going on at mothercare for car seats and booster seats. It is now moved to the child car seat thread. please check it out.
Drive Safe!

Just came across this thread and thought of buying a kids seat for my son. He will be 4 years in October and hence I would like to get some suggestion on this. I know it is difficult to put him in this seat now but will try my best to seat him. He has this habit of standing in the leg space of the back seat between the front seats. Yesterday, when I applied a sudden break he almost fell on the gear stick, through the space available between the front seats.

1) Best place to buy in Bangalore? Is it only mothercare or other good shops are also there?
2) Any suggestion on the model for a 4 year kid? Any one fixed it in Dzire/Swift?
Any other suggestion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie
Just came across this thread and thought of buying a kids seat for my son. He will be 4 years in October and hence I would like to get some suggestion on this. I know it is difficult to put him in this seat now but will try my best to seat him. He has this habit of standing in the leg space of the back seat between the front seats. Yesterday, when I applied a sudden break he almost fell on the gear stick, through the space available between the front seats.

1) Best place to buy in Bangalore? Is it only mothercare or other good shops are also there?
2) Any suggestion on the model for a 4 year kid? Any one fixed it in Dzire/Swift?
Any other suggestion?

Thats a very wise decision.
Initially there may be a little protest. But once your child is used to the seat, he will actually love it.
I think Mothercare is one of the finer places to pick ip a car seat. And with them having great deals right now. Go check them out.
Also.visit the child car seat thread for more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 2468038)

Any other suggestion?

Check out Mom & Me - they have a lot of outlets across Bangalore. There is also the Chicco Outlet in Indiranagar, a bit on higher price, but good stuff. And finally there is mothercare - reasonably priced and lots of models available - again i would say go to the indiranagar store, they have better variety and models in stock. The Chicco shop is just few hundred meters away from the mothercare shop at Indiranagar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2468048)
Thats a very wise decision.

Thanks mdsaab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vista_qjd (Post 2468220)
Check out Mom & Me - they have a lot of outlets across Bangalore. There is also the Chicco Outlet in Indiranagar, a bit on higher price, but good stuff. And finally there is mothercare - reasonably priced and lots of models available - again i would say go to the indiranagar store, they have better variety and models in stock. The Chicco shop is just few hundred meters away from the mothercare shop at Indiranagar.

vista_qjd, thanks for your suggestion. I didn't get time to check Mom & Me and was satisfied with the stuff in mothercare.

After yesterday’s incident, I thought of buying the kids seat at the earliest and went to mothercare today(shoppers stop). I got the below one for my son. Yes, he is not happy at all but we have convinced him to use the kid’s seat. Lets see how it goes.

This seat can be used for Kids with weight ranging between 15-36 and the height of the head rest can be adjusted. After 30% discount the price was around Rs.3700

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 2468355)
Thanks mdsaab.

vista_qjd, thanks for your suggestion. I didn't get time to check Mom & Me and was satisfied with the stuff in mothercare.

This seat can be used for Kids with weight ranging between 15-36 and the height of the head rest can be adjusted. After 30% discount the price was around Rs.3700

That's a fine choice indeed. It looks like a very comfortable one indeed. I am sure your child will be happy using it in the near future.
You got a great deal too ~ 3700 is very reasonable
Good Luck with using it & Drive Safe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 2468355)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2468391)
That's a fine choice indeed. It looks like a very comfortable one indeed. I am sure your child will be happy using it in the near future.

If you see the pic put up by arun, the seatbelt has been inserted through the back of the child car seat and there are 2 handles that the child can use as if using a backpack. Now in my case, my son is 5+ and too tall for these handles? Hence the seatbelt has to be put across in front of the car seat (as we adults use it)
Subsequently when the seatbelt is removed for him to get down from the car, the seat is freely movable too. I will try to put some pics later, but it could take some time!
I would have been happier with a top tether to keep the seat in place.

SD Please note that there are 3 stages for the 3 point seatbelt(backpack type)
Did they try the last most one? that's the tallest.
and what they should do is loosen it up fully, and then tighten it according to the child's size and comfort. Please post pics ASAP.
There is no harm using it the way you have it installed too. only thing being the seat is free to move when the seatbelt is not fastened. it's the same for many booster seats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2468808)
SD Please note that there are 3 stages for the 3 point seatbelt(backpack type)
Did they try the last most one? that's the tallest.
and what they should do is loosen it up fully, and then tighten it according to the child's size and comfort. Please post pics ASAP.

Yes mdsaab, the highest 'vents' were tried too. However, my son is a bit tall and was uncomfortable with those, so off they came.
No pics for a few days more :(

The only reason I have kept the back part of the child seat is the head/ neck support he gets when he wants to go to sleep. Else, I would be happy to use only the bottom booster part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive

Yes mdsaab, the highest 'vents' were tried too. However, my son is a bit tall and was uncomfortable with those, so off they came.
No pics for a few days more :(

The only reason I have kept the back part of the child seat is the head/ neck support he gets when he wants to go to sleep. Else, I would be happy to use only the bottom booster part.

I totally get your point. The only drawback to the booster seat i picked up is that it does not have any back. So there is no neck support when my daughter doozes off in it. Am thinking of some ingenius ways to offer her some neck support. Any pointers will help? Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2448099)
@mdsaab (and others!)
I tried to fix my sons car seat by myself, but I am not sure or confident it has been fixed correctly. Do you know of any place in Pune (nearer to Deccan/ Kothrud the better!) where they would install the car seat properly for me?

This is an anxiety I face each time, I have to remove the Kid seat and put it back. And till date the practise is that, for the first couple of rides after I put on the seat, my wife sits in the back seat with the kid. though over a period of time, I have gained confidence regarding the installation of the seat, I still follow this practise. And ofcourse, these rides are of short duration which pretty much indicates, if there is any anomaly in fixing of the child seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2469126)
I totally get your point. The only drawback to the booster seat i picked up is that it does not have any back. So there is no neck support when my daughter doozes off in it. Am thinking of some ingenius ways to offer her some neck support. Any pointers will help? Thanks.

You could start with those kiddie airplane neck pillows (the filled ones, not the inflatables!). If you have an extra big adult neck pillow throw it around the rear headrest and see if it provides an added secondary cushion. This one should be in place though, else it may be more of a hazard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVI2112 (Post 2469251)
This is an anxiety I face each time, I have to remove the Kid seat and put it back. And till date the practise is that, for the first couple of rides after I put on the seat, my wife sits in the back seat with the kid. though over a period of time, I have gained confidence regarding the installation of the seat, I still follow this practise. And ofcourse, these rides are of short duration which pretty much indicates, if there is any anomaly in fixing of the child seat.

Yes that's a great idea is possible, Have your wife or someone else sit at the back with the child. Also helps divert the child and keep then entertained, so they get used to sitting in the seat much earlier.
Slowly after both you and the child is settled you can sit in the front. Leaving the child secure in the back.

Thanks SD ~ infact i have a very nice neck pillow that i picked up in Kodai. I shall look for it and try it out, will post the results.

Hi,

Where can I get child seats in Hyderabad? My kid is 1.5 years old.

Thx,
Chandra