Team-BHP - Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/96036-child-safety-safe-driving-indian-roads-15.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_maven
Hi,

Where can I get child seats in Hyderabad? My kid is 1.5 years old.

Thx,
Chandra

Do you have shopper's stop or Mothercare there?
i find them the best place to pick up child seats.
You can also shop online on their website.
Also they are offering some great discounts right now, so make your purchase soon.
Good Luck!

I just read this account on child deaths in cars in the US. It is horrendous to say the least, but it also emphasises on one important point to accept: our own responsibility and alertness, not just to our own car but to those around us.

I am sorry if this sounds bad, but I do peek into other cars at parking lots just to verify no one is inside.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?

While checking on Anti-pinch windows feature for another Team-bhpian, I found this insane video clip. It’s quite stupid for the guy to get the kid as a test specimen. Irresponsible act indeed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2lLkIAvLMI

With the advent of new cars in the Indian market, I would encourage readers to write about child safety features in these cars!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2529832)
With the advent of new cars in the Indian market, I would encourage readers to write about child safety features in these cars!

Good point. For a start, it will be good to know which all cars on sale have ISOFIX mounts on the rear seat. I remember reading in VW website that the New VW Jetta has it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2557433)
Seat belts can cause sever injury to children. Never use a seat belt on a small child.

Children need to be in an age/weight appropriate car seat.

Unfortunately buses and public transport do not provide such a system.
But even in our please remember that seatbelts carry a risk of significant injury for children.

Good point – especially on the use of seat belts in cars. And I don’t expect safety systems to get common in public transport in near future. But that said, I feel school buses should have lap belts on all seats so that kids are secured in their seats.

Note: Quoted the comment here (as I thought this will be an appropriate place to have this discussion) :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2529860)
Good point. For a start, it will be good to know which all cars on sale have ISOFIX mounts on the rear seat. I remember reading in VW website that the New VW Jetta has it.

I remember that before buying the Civic in 2008 i went to check out the Fabia. and at that time it came equipped with isofix mounts.
It was a true premium hatch indeed. I am not sure after the re-positioning of the brand whether this feature is still available?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2560909)
I remember that before buying the Civic in 2008 i went to check out the Fabia. and at that time it came equipped with isofix mounts.
It was a true premium hatch indeed. I am not sure after the re-positioning of the brand whether this feature is still available?

IIRC, the isofix mounts are missing in the re-positioned Fabia. It will be good if Fabia owners can confirm this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san
IIRC, the isofix mounts are missing in the re-positioned Fabia. It will be good if Fabia owners can confirm this.

Does anyone know if the Polo/vento comes with ISOFIX mounts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 2558208)
Yes, this kind of restraint is what I had in mind for kids in buses. Something that would restrain them if the bus suddenly brakes, for instance.
BTW, how is it in school-buses in say US/EU ? How are small kids safely transported ? What restraint system is used ?
P.S.: My query was/is specifically about bus-travel, not kids belted-up in cars.

What I have seen in the school buses/vans here (in Singapore) are the simple lap belts. Its compulsory now (after an accident in which a kid was thrown out of the school van).
Here is a news bit which came up in a national channel website:
Ministry considers making seat belts on school buses compulsory - Channel NewsAsia

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 2643149)
I have 2 hyperactive kids and many a time I go out on short errands with them involving multiple stops with few minutes' work each; I tend to leave them in the car because my area is very sleepy and safe. However, I ALWAYS switch off and take my (normal) key with me in such cases. With a smart PEPS, it only needs an inquisitive touch and the car will start because I am in the shop a few metres away!

Saw this comment in a ‘what car’ thread, and I thought it’s appropriate to reply here. Even if it’s for a few minutes, please don’t leave the kids alone in the car. It’s a recipe for disaster. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2560876)
Good point – especially on the use of seat belts in cars. And I don’t expect safety systems to get common in public transport in near future. But that said, I feel school buses should have lap belts on all seats so that kids are secured in their seats.

Note: Quoted the comment here (as I thought this will be an appropriate place to have this discussion) :)

I have not seen any seatbelts in school buses and rarely in buses, but the last time I travelled on one of those Airavat Volvo buses I realised that they had lap belts and actually used it for most of the journey. I happened to know someone who was in the same bus and sitting at the back so walked all the way to talk to him and realised that not one person in the entire bus used the lap belt, despite the fact that it is there for their safety :Frustrati

I only hope it does not take people dying for Indians to start taking safety seriously and using all the available safety features :eek:

Once I see a swift guy was driving really slow in a narrow street and there were quite a few folks queued up behined him, I somehow managed to overtake and I could see that he has his kid sitting on his lap and kid is holding the steering. I slowed down, rolled window down and quickly signaled that he is doig wrong. He felt offended so badly that I could see him shouting at me and showing his hand as if he is going to get down to hit me. I was in hurry and thought not to waste my time to deal with an idiot.

I usually send my kid to rear seat on highways and he always keeps complaining about it. However, we dont ask him to get buckled, because of his height the seat belt when put on comes at his neck level or above. Wondering what could be a best way for kids at this age for safe ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan (Post 2765330)
I usually send my kid to rear seat on highways and he always keeps complaining about it. However, we dont ask him to get buckled, because of his height the seat belt when put on comes at his neck level or above. Wondering what could be a best way for kids at this age for safe ride.

How old is your child? For kids aged 5 and up (about 15kg) the solution is so simple and elegent - just use a booster cushion!

See this for more details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ian-roads.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan (Post 2765330)

As mentioned in the post above mine, please use a booster seat.

Remembers Newton's laws of motion. Any body will continue in the direction of movement..