Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 20:12   #16
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Thirukadaiyur : Route Queries

Hi

Am planning to drive to Thirukadaiyur from Bangalore next Saturday. Which would be the best route to take?

Thanks in advance!

- Ganesh
Old 29th September 2012, 21:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
Am planning to drive to Thirukadaiyur from Bangalore next Saturday. Which would be the best route to take?
The best option is :

Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet bypass - Vridhachalam-Sethiarthope-Chidambaram-Sirkazi-Thirukadaiyur

Route via Salem-Vridhachalam

If you also note that there is a straight road from Talaivasal to Vridhachalam which bypasses Ulundurpet and cuts through the GQ (Chennai-Trichy).
I dont know the status of this section.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 19:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best option is :

Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet bypass - Vridhachalam-Sethiarthope-Chidambaram-Sirkazi-Thirukadaiyur

Route via Salem-Vridhachalam

If you also note that there is a straight road from Talaivasal to Vridhachalam which bypasses Ulundurpet and cuts through the GQ (Chennai-Trichy).
I dont know the status of this section.
How does this route look like. Bangalore - Salem - Attur - Sethiathoppu - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Thirukadaiyur?

Distance is around 420 kms and goes from Attur to Sethiathoppu without going towards kallakurichi & ulundurpet.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=K...t=w&mra=ls&z=9, http://goo.gl/maps/NE1vR
Old 11th February 2013, 20:18   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
How does this route look like. Bangalore - Salem - Attur - Sethiathoppu - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Thirukadaiyur?
Distance is around 420 kms and goes from Attur to Sethiathoppu without going towards kallakurichi & ulundurpet.
You dont gain much. There is an extra distance of 40km on the 4-lane as against the 2-lane. But the speed on 4-lane is well maintained.
Also Kallakurichi and Ulundurpet bypasses are in place. So you dont get need to get into these towns. So as such I would still vote for the 4-lane.

Last edited by ampere : 11th February 2013 at 20:24.
Old 8th August 2013, 08:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
You dont gain much. There is an extra distance of 40km on the 4-lane as against the 2-lane. But the speed on 4-lane is well maintained.
Also Kallakurichi and Ulundurpet bypasses are in place. So you dont get need to get into these towns. So as such I would still vote for the 4-lane.
I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Mayavaram. Would anyone be able to comment on the road conditions and the best route. I believe Krishnagiri, TVm road is as bad as ever. Also i am keen on visiting the Srirangam temple on Friday. If it turns out to be too crowded on friday and the detour is too much, i could well avoid Trichy. Advance thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 10:24   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Mayavaram. Would anyone be able to comment on the road conditions and the best route. I believe Krishnagiri, TVm road is as bad as ever. Also i am keen on visiting the Srirangam temple on Friday. If it turns out to be too crowded on friday and the detour is too much, i could well avoid Trichy. Advance thanks
Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Vridhachalam-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Chidambaram-Mayavaram.

That should avoid Trichy as well.

Route Link
Old 22nd August 2013, 13:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Vridhachalam-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Chidambaram-Mayavaram.

That should avoid Trichy as well.

Route Link
I took the route mentioned above on my way back. The journey till Vriddhachalam was good and by-passed all towns on teh way. However as we left vriddhachalam, we were stuck in a traffic jam which the local buses drivers claimed would take time to clear and was typical. One of them suggested i drive to ulundurpettai and head towards salem. Road from Vriddhachalam to Ulundurpetai was good. However the road from there to Salem was simply superb. It is tolled all the way and you cover this distance quite rapidly. Although this is a 22km detour, i would strongly recommend this route.
Old 22nd August 2013, 13:45   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Although this is a 22km detour, i would strongly recommend this route.
Even I support that option. But many had mentioned that the SH has very little traffic. Hence I commented it that way. Else for a 22km 4-lane detour, that would be my pick too !
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I took the route mentioned above on my way back. The journey till Vriddhachalam was good and by-passed all towns on teh way. However as we left vriddhachalam, we were stuck in a traffic jam which the local buses drivers claimed would take time to clear and was typical. One of them suggested i drive to ulundurpettai and head towards salem. Road from Vriddhachalam to Ulundurpetai was good. However the road from there to Salem was simply superb. It is tolled all the way and you cover this distance quite rapidly. Although this is a 22km detour, i would strongly recommend this route.

I took this route last week Thursday night. From vridhachalam till joining the 4 lane roads of Selam chennai highway, it is SH and surprisingly less traffic. I was maintaining 100 and road condition before and after Veppur intersection was below average. Except those 10kms everythings else was good.
Old 17th December 2013, 05:24   #25

Any latest update on route?
Old 7th February 2014, 09:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The best option is :

ampere,any current updates on this route ?

I am driving to Thirukadaiyur from Bangalore tommorow morning.
not decided the route yet and checking the options.

Still, Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet bypass - Vridhachalam-Sethiarthope-Chidambaram-Sirkazi-Thirukadaiyur is the best option?
Old 7th February 2014, 09:21   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
ampere,any current updates on this route ?

I am driving to Thirukadaiyur from Bangalore tommorow morning.
not decided the route yet and checking the options.

Still, Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet bypass - Vridhachalam-Sethiarthope-Chidambaram-Sirkazi-Thirukadaiyur is the best option?
I think still its the best possible route. Ulundurpet-Virudhachalam is now a bit rough (as I remember Venki or Polopm mentioning about it). After that till Chidambaram its typical 2-lane SH. Beyond Chidambaram via Srikazhi till Thirukadaiyur its ECR all the way. Good roads, but may have traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 7th February 2014 at 09:41.
Old 16th October 2014, 17:01   #28
BHPian

Any recent updates on conditions of these roads. Particularly Trichy to Thirukadaiyur? has anyone been there recently? Is it any better to take NH to Nagapattinam and take ECR to reach Thirukadaiyur than going via kumbakonam, Mayiladuthurai?
Old 16th October 2014, 17:21   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Any recent updates on conditions of these roads. Particularly Trichy to Thirukadaiyur? has anyone been there recently? Is it any better to take NH to Nagapattinam and take ECR to reach Thirukadaiyur than going via kumbakonam, Mayiladuthurai?
Ideal route would be: Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Mayavaram-Thirukadayur. Be aware that the whole route just has amazing amount of bus and truck traffic. But this is the route you have to take, if you are driving late in the evening. If you are starting early morning from Trichy/Tanjore, I can suggest an alternative:

Tanjore-Needamangalam-Thiruvarur-Peralam-Karaikal bypass - Thirukadaiyur.
- Peralam-Thirunallar is quite rough, broken at many places and bumpy. The rest all is is in perfect state. (route link)
- But traffic is much lesser compared to the other route. (This route also has traffic. Its not like its totally devoid of it)
- Thiruvarur-Peralam road snakes through green fields and is a treat early mornings.
- But this route also has its own bad luck. Needamangalam has no bypass. There are 2-3 railway crossings. If you get stuck it can eat up into your time.

Last edited by ampere : 16th October 2014 at 17:38.
Old 16th October 2014, 17:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Trichy to Thirukadaiyur?
I don't think there are many options from Trichy. Maybe from Bangalore you could do Salem-Ulundurpet-Vriddachalam-Sethiathope-Chidambaram-ECR-Thirukadaiyur.

Quote:
Tanjore-Needamangalam-Thiruvarur-Peralam-Karaikal bypass - Thirukadaiyur.
Why go through Peralam at all? The Kumbakonam-Karaikal is perenially in a sad state. Wouldn't Thanjavur-Thiruvarur-Nagapattinam-Karaikal-Thirukadaiyur make sense?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks