Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 21:35   #1
BHPian

Siliguri to Guwahati route status

Hi I am planning to to a trip from Siliguri to Gwuahati during september.

Can someone please update me about the road conditions in that area?

As per my last info a major part of the road from Hashimara to Bongaigaon was in shambles. It will be of immense help you anybody can provide me the present status of the roads and any alternate /better route
Old 31st May 2011, 22:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Siliguri to Gwahati route status

It still is in a bad shape.
The alternative that has been popular is the route via Cooch behar, Tufanganj, Boxirhat & Goalpara. Some bad sections around Cooch behar, but rest of the route is great roads.
Old 31st May 2011, 23:37   #3
Joy
BHPian

Can Kumar sir, pls explain which is the best route to take to Guwahati from Siliguri? I mean via Sevoke bridge or alternative.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Can Kumar sir, pls explain which is the best route to take to Guwahati from Siliguri? I mean via Sevoke bridge or alternative.

Thanks in advance.
Siliguri-Guwahati route:

Fulbari (Near Siliguri)-Raninagar 27 kms-Mainaguri 26-Drupuguri 22-Falakata 21-Cooch behar 43-Tufanganj 21-Boxirhat 12-Gauripur 41-Mahamaya 24-Chapar 43-North Salamara/Tulingia 26-Jogikoppa 18-Naranarayana Bridge/Pancharatna 5-Paikan/Krishnai 26-Boko 65-GUwahati Airport 44-Jalukhbari 12-Guwahati 10
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 10:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Siliguri-Guwahati route:

Fulbari (Near Siliguri)-Raninagar 27 kms-Mainaguri 26-Drupuguri 22-Falakata 21-Cooch behar 43-Tufanganj 21-Boxirhat 12-Gauripur 41-Mahamaya 24-Chapar 43-North Salamara/Tulingia 26-Jogikoppa 18-Naranarayana Bridge/Pancharatna 5-Paikan/Krishnai 26-Boko 65-GUwahati Airport 44-Jalukhbari 12-Guwahati 10

Thank you very much sir for this info, now sir i have another question, that is what is the road condition in this route.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
Thank you very much sir for this info, now sir i have another question, that is what is the road condition in this route.
Roads around Cooch Behar are bad, but once you are in Assam, roads are brilliant.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

The main NH31C/NH31 route is best avoided, because almost all of it is under-expansion from 2 to 4lanes. Not to mention, it also has very heavy traffic.The route describex by HVsir is best.

I remember the section in Assam being very good indeed, especially upto Goalpara. We were travelling to Gangtok from Guwahati, thus we continued on the NH31 after Maynaguri and turned towards Gantok at Sevok Bridge.

Also HV sir, some name corrections:

1. Dhupgiri and not Drupguri
2. Jogighopa and Jogikoppa

Last edited by julupani : 1st June 2011 at 11:49.
julupani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 12:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the correction, julupani.

As julupani has pointed out, the EW Corridor is under cosntruction, resulting in some very bad roads between Suliguri & Guwahati via Hashimara, Boarabisha, BOngaingaon, Barpeta Road, Pathsala, Nalbari & Rangiya. Totally avoidable till it gets completed.
Old 1st June 2011, 14:21   #9
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Also HV sir, some name corrections:

1. Dhupgiri and not Drupguri
2. Jogighopa and Jogikoppa
Actually, it is Dhupguri and Jogighopa.
Old 1st June 2011, 15:46   #10
BHPian

Re: Siliguri to Guwahati route status

Ok, thanks for the valuable suggestions,
since we are discussing, do you have any idea of the road conditions in the following route.

Siliguri-(NH-31)-Sevoke[22km]-(NH-31)-Mal Bazar[34km]-(NH-31)- Chalsa[8km]-(NH-31)-Mainaguri[40km]-(NH-31)-Dhupguri[20km] then the rest will the the same as suggested.

Actually this route will go through Coronation Bridge, Gorumara Wildlife Santuary, and Gorumara National Park, Which I had enjoyed on my bike that too during night, and want to enjoy this time with my family, though this time it will be day. Only, if this detour does not eat up too much time and distance.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 1st June 2011 at 15:48. Reason: some wrong punctuation
Old 1st June 2011, 21:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi I am planning to to a trip from Siliguri to Gwuahati during september.
Hi, Think it is best to get an update late August.

Dhupguri - Falakata used to be bad condition. If forests are your thing, you can do Dhupguri - Gayerkata - Madarihat - Khairbari - Falakata. (Khairbari is a forest section. It is not the Madarihat - Falakata route used by buses etc. )

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st June 2011, 21:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the valuable suggestions,
since we are discussing, do you have any idea of the road conditions in the following route.

Siliguri-(NH-31)-Sevoke[22km]-(NH-31)-Mal Bazar[34km]-(NH-31)- Chalsa[8km]-(NH-31)-Mainaguri[40km]-(NH-31)-Dhupguri[20km] then the rest will the the same as suggested.

Actually this route will go through Coronation Bridge, Gorumara Wildlife Santuary, and Gorumara National Park, Which I had enjoyed on my bike that too during night, and want to enjoy this time with my family, though this time it will be day. Only, if this detour does not eat up too much time and distance.
Currently, the route you refer to is in good condition.
You can change it slightly by going on till Alipurduar then going to Cooch behar. However, that sector also is sometime sin bad condition.
As Sutripta mentioned, road conditions will change drastically once it rains in the region.
Old 7th September 2011, 10:32   #13
BHPian

Thanks to well wishers the road trip is on. However I need a small help. I will be reaching Guwahati on 9th night, can some one help me with accomodation of five people, at Guwahati, 2 Female and three Male members. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks