Team-BHP - Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/102166-bangalore-wayanad-route-accommodation-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramsnavy (Post 2732407)
Need info on the best possible route to Mananthavady from Bangalore. Need to embark on this trip next Sunday.

Difficult to suggest a "best" route. The 3 alternatives you have are :

1) Bangalore-Mysore-HDKote Handpost-Bavali-Mananthavadi - The shortest (approx 250 kms). Very good roads all the way with the exception of a 15 kms stretch of bad to very bad village roads between HD Kote and Bavali. Very low traffic between Mysore and Mananthavady, and good chances of wildlife sightings between Karapur and Bavali.

2) Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Nagarahole-Kutta-Tholpetty-Mananthavady. Longer by about 15-20 kms. Average to bad roads between Hunsur and Kutta (approx. 45 kms), but passes through the heart of Nagarahole WLS and you get to see a lot of wild life on the way.

3) Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Bathery-Mananthavady : Longer by about 45 to 50 kms compared to option (1), but road condition generally very good all through except for some slow stretches between Bathery and Mananthavady (still above average). Passes through Bandipur / Wayanad sanctuaries, so fair chances of wildlife sightings though lower than the first 2 options since there is much more of traffic on this forest road.

Which one would be considered "best" is highly subjective. I have a slight preference for (1) since it takes the least amount of time even though it takes anything between half an hour to an hour to cover the 15 kms of bad village roads. If I have plenty of time at hand, I take option (3), (but skip Mysore by taking NH209 : see below)

A few variants to consider if you decide on route (3) :

a) Take NH209 via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar to get to Gundlupet directly bypassing Mysore altogether and avoiding the pain of driving on SH17. May add anything from 2 to 10 kms to the distance depending on where in Bangalore you're starting from)

b) There are two alternate routes to get to Mananthavady from Batheri. The shorter way is to take a right turn at Beenachi (about 3-4 kms after Batheri on NH212) and go via Kenichira-Nadavayal-Panamaram. The alternate is to continue a little further on NH212 till Meenangadi and take a right fork from there to go via Varadoor-Pachilakkadu-Panamaram (about 4-5 kms longer, but I think the roads are slightly wider/better)

Thanks Kala for the detailed route description. Certainly will plan for either Route 1 or Route 3 (if time permits)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramsnavy (Post 2733807)
Thanks Kala for the detailed route description. Certainly will plan for either Route 1 or Route 3 (if time permits)

Route 1 (and to a certain extent 2 as well) has poor facilities for food and toilet. Route 3 scores high on the same. Also, beware of the forest closure timings for the route you choose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajithbr (Post 2733820)
Also, beware of the forest closure timings for the route you choose.

Yes, forgot to mention that. Routes (1) and (2) pass through Nagarahole Wildlife sanctuary where traffic is banned in the night between 6PM and 6AM, whereas on route (3) the ban is between 9PM and 6AM. So do account for that when deciding your starting time from Bangalore.

Thanks ajithbr and kala for the forest closure timings. I guess there will not be any issue while going to Mananthavady as I am planning to make the trip in the morning. I need to be more aware of the time during my return trip :). Will plan accordingly.

Dear Friends,
Thanks for the advice and support for the Bangalore-Mananthavady trip. Just wanted to update that the road condition is still worse (you need to find the road amidst the craters and rocks; the off roadies will love it though) between Kabini and Bavali. It was an ordeal navigating the stretch of 15 kms. This bad stretch really eats away the advantage of being the shortest route to Mananthavady. The route via Gundlupet, Bathery is still the better option.

Guys, I'm driving down to Wayanad from Bangalore tomorrow morning.

Please suggest a good route. I don't want to drive on Bangalore - Mysore Highway, what are the other options available? Also, let me know a good place to stay in Wayand, preferably secluded.

Hi,

Take the Kanakpura road which will take you directly to Gundlupet bypassing Mysore. Its a very easy, stress-free drive.

Route is Kanakpura-Malavalli - Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet-Wayand.

I would suggest a home stay - secluded, with a view of a waterfall in the hil across the valley. VFM and you can walk to the Kanthanpara waterfall.
Call Jinoy - 09349423910. This place was suggested by HVK in one of his old posts.

Cheers

VW

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffHanger (Post 3197906)
Guys, I'm driving down to Wayanad from Bangalore tomorrow morning.

Please suggest a good route. I don't want to drive on Bangalore - Mysore Highway, what are the other options available? Also, let me know a good place to stay in Wayand, preferably secluded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VindyWheels (Post 3198004)
Hi,

Take the Kanakpura road which will take you directly to Gundlupet bypassing Mysore. Its a very easy, stress-free drive.

Route is Kanakpura-Malavalli - Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet-Wayand.

I would suggest a home stay - secluded, with a view of a waterfall in the hil across the valley. VFM and you can walk to the Kanthanpara waterfall.
Call Jinoy - 09349423910. This place was suggested by HVK in one of his old posts.

Cheers

VW

Thank you very much. I'm just about to start the trip and going to follow what you have mentioned - both the route and the stay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffHanger (Post 3198089)
Thank you very much. I'm just about to start the trip and going to follow what you have mentioned - both the route and the stay.

So did you do the trip? How are road conditions? I am also planning to visit Wayanad this long weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by perseus (Post 3206320)
So did you do the trip? How are road conditions? I am also planning to visit Wayanad this long weekend.

The roads are all good in all the below routes:
1.Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Sulthan Batheri
2.Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollega-Chamrajnagara-Gundlupet-Sulthan Batheri
3.Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Nagerhole tiger Reserve-Kutta-Mananthavady
Traveled the first route yesterday and third route on last Thursday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denver85 (Post 3206356)
3.Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Nagerhole tiger Reserve-Kutta-Mananthavady
Traveled the first route yesterday and third route on last Thursday.

Hi Denver,

Would like to know about the road conditions of option 3. I'm planning to leave for wayanad this weekend. I'm planning to take the nagerhole route while going and Gundulpet-Malavalli route while returning. Got to read from many posts that the Gundulpet route is in a good condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajusherief (Post 3280584)
Hi Denver,

Would like to know about the road conditions of option 3. I'm planning to leave for wayanad this weekend. I'm planning to take the nagerhole route while going and Gundulpet-Malavalli route while returning. Got to read from many posts that the Gundulpet route is in a good condition.

The route 3 is in good condition. I have done two weeks back(14-oct). There is some bad section after the Kerala border till Kutta police station. The roads are a little bad in the Nagerhole tiger reserve but are manageable. I will be doing this route on Sunday for my return trip to Bangalore :)
Also done the Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-C'Nagara-Gundlupet-S.Bathery-Panamaram route yesterday and the roads are in superb condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denver85 (Post 3280730)
Also done the Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-C'Nagara-Gundlupet-S.Bathery-Panamaram

Hi,

What about the chamarajanagar-gundelpet stretch? A couple of weeks back, it was in just ok-ok condition with several bad stretches and some unexpected potholes. But not really bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 3280786)
Hi,
What about the chamarajanagar-gundelpet stretch? A couple of weeks back, it was in just ok-ok condition with several bad stretches and some unexpected potholes. But not really bad.

Not bad I will say, Dhanush. It took 30 minutes for me to cover the 33 kms between C'Nagar and Gundlupet in the twilight condition. I was expecting bad roads after the rains (I drove this route in June 2013), but was better than my expectation. THe C'Nagar to Terakanambi is in good condition and road deteriorates at some parts after this. There are some bad patches(with some big potholes near some of the culverts) as near Gundlupet. It's better to reduce the speed as once you see the 'Welcome to Gundlupet TMC' arch while coming from C'Nagar.

Regards,
Deepak