Team-BHP - Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/102166-bangalore-wayanad-route-accommodation-12.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 3760515)
Rain wise your travel time will not be an issue.

Regarding the route you planning.

If you planning of visiting Mysore, it will be best to follow Bangalore - Mysore highway with an early morning start.

Route ahead of Mysore will depend on the resort you finalizing, unless you are booking in Sharoy it will be better you take the Gundlupet - Batherry route.

Out of the places you mentioned, it is tough to exclude any. However, covering all these in two days will leave you with no much free time to relax. So if you are someone who likes to rest and roam during vacation, you may have to consider the same.

My suggestion would be to skip Banasaura dam in case you are short of time.

Regarding stay, though not a resort. You can check out this place too.

I have not been to the place yet, however saw quiet few good reviews online.

Thanks..
This thread has several posts not to use the Gundlupet - Batherry route as there is some road widening work going on. Right? Are you saying it's all good now?

I will check out the stay option you mentioned.

If I had to leave out a few of the places I mentioned because of time, then which ones are better left out?

I want this to be a relaxing holiday...so, I guess it's better to stay in wayanad for 3 nights..

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3760344)
From Bangalore, there seem to be various options regarding the route -

route 1- Bangalore-Kanakpura-Kollegala-Ch Nagar-Gundlepet-Bathery.
route 2- Blr - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - kutta/ Tholpetty - Kattikulam - Mananthavady
route 3 - Bangalore>Mysore>Nanjanagud>Gundalpet>Sulthan bathery
route 4 - Bangalore- Mysore-Handpost-Bavali-Mananthavady

As I understand, the preferred route options are 1 and 4.
I might halt at Mysore too to checkout the palace and few other attractions. In that case, is route 4 the best option?

As far as accommodation is concerned, I have shortlisted a few resorts -
Chateau woods - http://cwoods.in/
Sharoy resort - http://www.sharoyresort.com/
Vythri resort - http://www.vythiriresort.com/wayanad.html

Let me know which one I can go for any recommendations other than the above ones are welcome.
I am looking for a nice resort with great views and a little far away from the towns. Budget - 5-7K per night.

Also, please help me plan what all should I cover in Wayanad?
I have heard/read about - Chembra Peak, banasura dam, eddkakal caves,Soochipara falls, Meenmutty falls, Pookot lake, Kuruvadweep etc.

I planning for 2 nights or 3 nights in Wayanad - what do you suggest?

And finally, any good eateries in wayanad I should try? I am a hardcore non-vegeterain :D

I would suggest route 4 - Especially if you are staying at Sharoy (based on the location I saw in the map). The other 2 are also beyond Kalpetta, so route 4 would ensure you avoid all the road work in route 3. You need to consider route 1 only if as per your schedule, you end up starting from Bangalore on a weekend morning past 6-7 am. If you plan to halt at Mysore, then you have no other choice other than taking the Bangalore-Mysore Road.

Not an expert on which places to cover-Pookot lake I would definitely recommend, and one of the waterfalls. But one thing to keep in mind is that some of these places are relatively far from each other and hence if you do not plan properly, you may end up spending a lot of time traveling. Would be better to pick maybe 1-2 places per day and spend the rest of the time relaxing in the resort.

Among the three, Vythiri will be closest to places like Pookot Lake and Edakkal Caves. Sharoy will be closer to Banasur Dam and KurvaDweep.

On eateries, not aware of any must visit place. But it is a hard core non veg place. So you should pretty much be able to get/try anything you want. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3760822)
Thanks..
This thread has several posts not to use the Gundlupet - Batherry route as there is some road widening work going on. Right? Are you saying it's all good now?

I will check out the stay option you mentioned.

If I had to leave out a few of the places I mentioned because of time, then which ones are better left out?

I want this to be a relaxing holiday...so, I guess it's better to stay in wayanad for 3 nights..

Infact my schedule was a cramped one considering it was a 3 day,3 night trip. Do plan to visit Kozhikode as it is only about 72 kms from Wayanad. I know it might be too tight a schedule but do give a thought about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3760822)
Gundlupet - Batherry route as there is some road widening work going on. Right?

Yes, road widening work is ongoing.
However, work is progressing briskly at most sections. Though it may not be over by the time of your trip it would be manageable. Around the time of your trip if you feel the road conditions are bad you can change the route, since it does not require any other planning.

[quote]
If I had to leave out a few of the places I mentioned because of time, then which ones are better left out? /QUOTE]

As mentioned by Rajeevraj & Suresh_gs it depends on your comfort level. Also, on an average for internal sightseeing trips in Wayanad, budget 1 hour for traveling 35 KM's.

Once your hotels are booked it may be possible to plan the itenary better based on the location of your stay.

Chembra Peak - Beautiful place. Half day plan.
Eddkakal caves- Small climb to reach the cave. Good view. ~ 2.5 hour.
Soochipara falls - Again, small walk from parking. ~ 2.5 hour
Meenmutty falls - Near Banasura dam. Do note that there is another meenmutty falls near to Soochipara falls. However, I guess entry to that is not allowed now.
Pookot lake - Boating and walk around the lake will take around 3 hours.
Kuruvadweep - Will have to budget around half day. Do check about water level before you start. Have heard reports of entry getting banned when water flow is high.
Banasura dam- You can plan along with Meenmutty. Can get hot during day time. Apart from speed boat, not much to offer. ~ 2 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suresh_gs (Post 3760830)
Infact my schedule was a cramped one considering it was a 3 day,3 night trip. Do plan to visit Kozhikode as it is only about 72 kms from Wayanad. I know it might be too tight a schedule but do give a thought about it.

Would not really recommend clubbing Calicut with Wayanad for a 3 day trip. It is only 72km, but can easily take 2.5-3 hrs depending on the traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3761418)
Would not really recommend clubbing Calicut with Wayanad for a 3 day trip. It is only 72km, but can easily take 2.5-3 hrs depending on the traffic.

I agree with what you have said. Infact on my return trip back to Wayanad, I was caught in a massive traffic jam in Kozhikode.
But sometimes to give some impetus to your planned trip, it is better to visit something that is unplanned.:D

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I have a tentative itinerary in mind...but still not decided on the resort.

I have shortlisted a few -
Chateau woods
Sharoy
Banasura hill resort
Blue ginger

Not sure which one to go for...
My priorities are nice views from the room, a little away from the towns but should be easy enough to travel to the places of interest, some timpeass activities to keep the kid busy , good non-veg food :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpacman (Post 3723592)
I am staying at Banasura Hill resort. This is in Vellamunda, close to Manathavady.

Hey buddy, I am considering this resort for my travel to Wayanad.
It will be extremely helpful if you can provide any information about this resort. I read in some reviews that the approach road is really bad and steep ..since I have a Honda Jazz which is not having a good GC, I am little skeptical.

Please share your experience.

Hi,

What would be the best route to reach Tea Terrace Resort in Valiyapaara, Vythiri, from Bangalore (near e-city)? This was planned on short notice and just made the booking today. Intend to start Saturday early morning (5.30 A.M) and return by Monday. Guess it would be advisable to avoid the Saturday morning rush to Mysore, during the onward journey? Any pointers on road conditions would be highly helpful.
please:
Arun

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunjoe (Post 3772614)
What would be the best route to reach Tea Terrace Resort in Valiyapaara, Vythiri, from Bangalore (near e-city)? This was planned on short notice and just made the booking today. Intend to start Saturday early morning (5.30 A.M) and return by Monday. Guess it would be advisable to avoid the Saturday morning rush to Mysore, during the onward journey? Any pointers on road conditions would be highly helpful.

Your options are:
1. Take Mysore road - if you start early you can avoid the rush. There is road widening work between Nanjangud-Gundlupet but manageable if you start early.
Though Mysore route has lots of places for food/breaks, most open only after 6:45am, so you can consider Kamat Madhavan opposite Mysore Palace for your breakfast stop. This is on the Nanjangud road so you don't lose any time as there is no detour. Just in case you reach too early here, you can stop at Misty Rock/Deshell restaurant at Gundlupet, opposite which there is a Cafe Coffee Day also.

2. Take Kanakapura road - go via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar. Stop for breakfast at Nijaguna Residency, Chamarajanagar.
Then do Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet.

For both routes, once you reach Gundlupet turn right towards the forest (straight goes to Bandipur/Mudumalai/Gudalur) and then Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri. I'm not sure of the exact location of your resort but Vythiri is small place just ask around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 3772736)
Your options are:
1. Take Mysore road - if you start early you can avoid the rush. There is road widening work between Nanjangud-Gundlupet but manageable if you start early.
Though Mysore route has lots of places for food/breaks, most open only after 6:45am, so you can consider Kamat Madhavan opposite Mysore Palace for your breakfast stop. This is on the Nanjangud road so you don't lose any time as there is no detour. Just in case you reach too early here, you can stop at Misty Rock/Deshell restaurant at Gundlupet, opposite which there is a Cafe Coffee Day also.

2. Take Kanakapura road - go via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar. Stop for breakfast at Nijaguna Residency, Chamarajanagar.
Then do Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet.

For both routes, once you reach Gundlupet turn right towards the forest (straight goes to Bandipur/Mudumalai/Gudalur) and then Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri. I'm not sure of the exact location of your resort but Vythiri is small place just ask around.

Thanks!
For the return journey, I was thinking of taking a different route so that I can drive through Nagarhole (but not at the compromise of bad roads). Would it be a good idea to trace Mananthavady - Kattikulam - kutta/ Tholpetty - Hunsur - Srirangapatna - Blr?
Or is the Mananthavady - Bavali - Handpost - Mysore - Blr a better option?

Arun

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunjoe (Post 3772772)
Thanks!
For the return journey, I was thinking of taking a different route so that I can drive through Nagarhole (but not at the compromise of bad roads). Would it be a good idea to trace Mananthavady - Kattikulam - kutta/ Tholpetty - Hunsur - Srirangapatna - Blr?
Or is the Mananthavady - Bavali - Handpost - Mysore - Blr a better option?

Arun

Overall both routes are pretty good from a road surface perspective. I think the Nagarhole forest section on the Kutta-Tholpetty route will be a little worse compared to the forest section in the Bavali route. Both these routes are good alternatives to the Gundlepet route. Regulars normally take the Bavalli route to Calicut now due to the road work.

Both routes should have decent wild life spotting if you are lucky, but the Bavali route is more towards the edge of the the sanctuary and hence I think spottings will be better in the Tholpetty route.

Cool. So for onward journey I'll take the route below
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...As&usp=sharing
And for return, this one.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...TY&usp=sharing

I hope these are correct?
Thanks guys!

Arun

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunjoe (Post 3773211)
Cool. So for onward journey I'll take the route below
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...As&usp=sharing
And for return, this one.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...TY&usp=sharing

I hope these are correct?

Can't tell; as your map links are showing "Access Denied".

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 3773356)
Can't tell; as your map links are showing "Access Denied".

Ah, my bad.stupid: Just made it public.
Should be accessible now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunjoe (Post 3773384)
Ah, my bad.stupid: Just made it public.
Should be accessible now.

Looks good. Only one comment. On the return, the route is showing hunsur-krs-srirangapatna. I have heard that this road is not to great and it is better to come via Mysore ring road . Other experts can confirm.