Team-BHP - Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/102166-bangalore-wayanad-route-accommodation-21.html)

Hi. Just bear with me for rehashing the information, listing it here, just to get nod on the summary as the information is present across posts.. This is about checkposts/traffic restrictions due to wildlife ; Bangalore to Thirunelli. Is the below correct ?

1) Gundlupet - Sultan Battery - Payyampally - Kaattikulam - Thirunelly : No traffic allowed after 9 PM from either side of the state. However if one has entered / crossed the first gate before 9 PM, you will be let out of the checkpost on the other side even if it's after 9 PM. Traffic restrictions are relaxed after 6 AM.

2) Mysore - Bavali - Kaattikulam - Thirunelly : Same as above.

3) Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Kutta - Tholpetty - Thirunelly : No traffic restrictions at any time(?)

If I have to start Friday evening from Bangalore and need to be at Thirunelly by 6 AM next morning,

a) Is #3 above the only way if I want to drive down ?
b) If I take public transport, will it still take #3 ? Or is limited public transport allowed on #1 and #2 even after 9 PM ?

TIA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airguitar (Post 4081740)
1) Gundlupet - Sultan Battery - Payyampally - Kaattikulam - Thirunelly : No traffic allowed after 9 PM from either side of the state. However if one has entered / crossed the first gate before 9 PM, you will be let out of the checkpost on the other side even if it's after 9 PM. Traffic restrictions are relaxed after 6 AM.

2) Mysore - Bavali - Kaattikulam - Thirunelly : Same as above.

3) Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Kutta - Tholpetty - Thirunelly : No traffic restrictions at any time(?)
If I have to start Friday evening from Bangalore and need to be at Thirunelly by 6 AM next morning,

a) Is #3 above the only way if I want to drive down ?
b) If I take public transport, will it still take #3 ? Or is limited public transport allowed on #1 and #2 even after 9 PM ?

TIA.

1. Correct.
2. I think the routes through Nagarhole are closed from 6pm to 6am. The Hunsur-Kutta one is definitely 6-6. The Bavalli route also should be the same.
3 Correct.

3a. Correct. No other option.
3b. Couple of buses of KaSRTC and KSRTC are allowed as far as I know. Most private buses take the Gonikoppa-Kutta route. May work better as you can get down at Kattikulam and can reach Thirunelli faster.

Thank you.

Seems no KeSRTC night service through Bavali ( from Blr or mysore ): all services through Gonikoppa
http://aanavandi.com/search/results/...m/timing/night

Likewise for KaSRTC - both night services to Manandavady through Kutta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airguitar (Post 4081770)
Thank you.

Seems no KeSRTC night service through Bavali ( from Blr or mysore ): all services through Gonikoppa

Did you check on

http://www.ksrtconline.com/ (Kerala)
http://www.ksrtc.in/ (Karnataka)

Both show the night Multiaxle Volvo Services as going via Sultan Bathery.

Note: you need to check for Sultan Bathery/Kalpetta/Calicut. If you check Mananthavady it will show only via Kutta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4079183)
In that case, take the second route. Mananthavady-Padinjarethara and Kalpetta-Padinjarethara are similar roads and distances; and the Bangalore-Mysore-Bathery-Kalpetta route is far better (NH for the entire stretch) than the one through Mananthavady.

Kerala RTO staff generally are quite well-behaved; but it all depends on the mood of the officer on duty. Plus since you are going during a holiday weekend there might be extra traffic and intensified excise checks. Still, you should be out of the checkpost area (Muthanga) in 30 minutes worst-case.

Pay what is due because there are interceptors along the way.

One more question.

From Bangalore to Wayanad for a 3.30 or 4 am start on Saturday early morning - Is it better to take the Kanakapura road or the Ramnagar - Mandya route ?

Is there any road work going on on the Kanakpura road ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by singleton (Post 4083045)
One more question.

From Bangalore to Wayanad for a 3.30 or 4 am start on Saturday early morning - Is it better to take the Kanakapura road or the Ramnagar - Mandya route ?

If you are starting by 3.30-4 max, Mysore road should be good. In fact at these times, would recommend Mysore Road. One issue I have noticed in Kanakpura road (between Kanakpura and Bangalore) at these pre dawn hours is that there are lot of mini lorry/good vehicles coming into Bangalore, so encountering these vehicles coming at you on high beam in a 2 lane road is not a pleasant experience.

Not aware of any roadwork happening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by singleton (Post 4083045)
One more question.

For a 4 AM start, Mysore NH 275 (via Ramnagar-Mandya) would be quite OK. But go via Kanakapura-Malavalli if you are starting after 5.30-6.
The stretch between Chamrajnagar and Gundlupet in the Kanakapura-Gundlupet route is undergoing renovation. Other than that most part of the route is good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airguitar (Post 4081770)
Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 4081798)
Did you check on

http://www.ksrtconline.com/ (Kerala)
http://www.ksrtc.in/ (Karnataka)

Both show the night Multiaxle Volvo Services as going via Sultan Bathery.

Note: you need to check for Sultan Bathery/Kalpetta/Calicut. If you check Mananthavady it will show only via Kutta.

For going to Thirunelli, the Kutta route is fine (and the only option for a night drive in your own vehicle).

If going by public transport, you can probably get down at Thettu Road bus stop (the turn off towards Thirunelli from the Kutta-Kattikkulam road), but I'm not sure about availability of buses from there to Thirunelli temple at that time of the day (It's about 12 kms from there). Tholpetty may be the closest point where you may find some cabs or jeeps for hire but not 100% sure about that either. Safest would be to go upto to Mananthavady and hire a cab from there - though that would mean having to backtrack for about 15-20 kms through the same route you came on.

Ah! My "real old" friends had a conference call today and were catching up after a long time, and as it happens so often, we have decided to go on a trip tomorrow evening. The plan is to start Saturday evening and reach Wayanad by morning. We do not plan to stay overnight and hence have not booked any resort. This is more about the journey and not the destination. We have traveled together so often that we love each other's company. We are starting in my i10 Sportz.

Please suggest if Wayanad is the right place at this time of the year and secondly which is the preferred route. There are so many options on our erstwhile Google maps and also on this forum, but since road conditions and other circumstances change from time to time, it would be great to get 2 cents from frequent/recent visitors.

Your quick replies are greatly appreciated since we are starting tomorrow (ah, is it today, its past Friday midnight now, and still in office :Frustrati) evening.

Like I said, this trip is more about the journey and not the destination :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsPwr (Post 4087040)
The plan is to start Saturday evening and reach Wayanad by morning.

Please suggest if Wayanad is the right place at this time of the year and secondly which is the preferred route.

Well, if you start in the evening from Bangalore then you have only one route option to drive to Wayanad - Bangalore-(Mysore-)Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta-Kattikulam (entry point to Wayanad). The nearest large-ish town then would be Mananthavady.

Usually November in Kerala would be bang in the middle of the Northeast monsoon, with wet days and lush greenery all round. But this year apparently monsoon has failed and very recently (last week) all 14 districts of Kerala have been declared drought-hit. Still, Wayanad is always beautiful and calming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsPwr (Post 4087040)

Please suggest if Wayanad is the right place at this time of the year and secondly which is the preferred route. There are so many options on our erstwhile Google maps and also on this forum, but since road conditions and other circumstances change from time to time, it would be great to get 2 cents from frequent/recent visitors.

Your quick replies are greatly appreciated since we are starting tomorrow (ah, is it today, its past Friday midnight now, and still in office :Frustrati) evening.

Like I said, this trip is more about the journey and not the destination :thumbs up

Few comments.
Hope this helps.

Anyone planning their trip with Family in the month of Dec'16 during Christmas to Wayanad. It's been long pending trip and i am planning to follow as per Google map:
Bangalore>Mysore>Nanjangudu>Begur>Theppakadu>Gudal ur>Nadugani>Pandalur>Cherambadi>Muppainad>Destinat ion

Not sure if this would be best route looking into the road map and present set of road conditions (Don't want to travel on hair pin bends). Expert advice would be helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supratim07 (Post 4089020)
Anyone planning their trip with Family in the month of Dec'16 during Christmas to Wayanad. It's been long pending trip and i am planning to follow as per Google map:
Bangalore>Mysore>Nanjangudu>Begur>Theppakadu>Gudal ur>Nadugani>Pandalur>Cherambadi>Muppainad>Destinat ion

Not sure if this would be best route looking into the road map and present set of road conditions (Don't want to travel on hair pin bends). Expert advice would be helpful.

That seems to be a strange routing. Where exactly are you headed to? To go to anywhere in Wayanad, you do not need to go via Theppakkadu/Gudalur. Nanjangud-Gundlepet-Muthanga-Sultan Bathery(town in wayanad) is the standard route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supratim07 (Post 4089020)

This has been reported in multiple threads - that Google Maps for some reason thinks that Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery stretch of NH 212 does not exist or is closed, which is far from reality; that stretch is in perfect condition. So you go:

Begur > Gundlupet > Muthanga > Sulthan Bathery > Meenangadi > Kalpetta > Muppainad.

Muppainad is beyond Meppadi towards Nadugani if I remember correctly; so you'd take the left turn at the far end of Kalpetta bypass, pretty much at the junction where the bypass merges with the main NH 212 carriageway coming out of Kalpetta town. I think there's a signboard there.

One thing - that Kalpetta-Meppadi road is in pretty bad condition was reported in local newspapers a few months back; don't think they've had enough time to fix it yet. Be careful and aware. Speak to your resort folks (assuming you are going to one) and check if taking the longer Chundale-Meppadi route makes sense or not.

Thanks binand...would follow the route advised as i don't want to end up in a wrong route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 4089027)
That seems to be a strange routing. Where exactly are you headed to? To go to anywhere in Wayanad, you do not need to go via Theppakkadu/Gudalur. Nanjangud-Gundlepet-Muthanga-Sultan Bathery(town in wayanad) is the standard route.

Thanks Rajeevraj, this was the best route as per Google for some reason.