Team-BHP - Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/102166-bangalore-wayanad-route-accommodation-20.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by manas_270 (Post 4030424)
Hello TBhpians,

I will be driving down to Wayanad over the long Aug 15th long weekend. Due to cancellation of a pre-planned trip, this trip has been decided on short notice and so trying to gather as much info as I can in the short time frame.

Appreciate if the regular members here can throw some light on the best route options. Trying to go through as many posts as I can to figure out the best route as of today since there seems to be lot of road widening works.

Plan to start from Bangalore around 5AM as will reach Bangalore earlier night from Hyderabad.

Option 1: Bangalore - Mysore (NH48,*NH275) - Nanjanagudu*NH766*- Gundlupete - Thepakadu (NH181) - Gudalur - Sultan bathery (pepper grove hotel)

Maps

Option 2: Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Terakanambi-Gundlupet- muthanga NH786 - sultan bathery (pepper grove hotel)

Maps

Also from Gundlupete to Wayanad, which road is very scenic i.e. is it via Muthanga NH766 or via Bandipur/Gudalur NH181

Thanks in advance guys.

Best option will be to go via Kanakapura road, Chamarajanagar, Gundlupet, Moolehole forest and Sulthan Bathery. Drive through the forest will be very scenic.
Considering the long weekend , do not go via Mysore and try to leave before 5 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 4032043)
Edit: Although other experts have recommended Kanakpura route, if you can actually start by 5am latest and you are leaving on Friday, I would recommend the Mysore-Nanjangud route.

Even though Friday is a holiday for schools and many offices and hence the weekend is a 4-day one, with the consequential surge in holiday makers travelling towards Mysore and points beyond (Coorg, Wayanad, Ooty...)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4032099)
Even though Friday is a holiday for schools and many offices and hence the weekend is a 4-day one, with the consequential surge in holiday makers travelling towards Mysore and points beyond (Coorg, Wayanad, Ooty...)?

I think the number of offices having holiday will be limited. So I expect the bulk of the crowd to head out on Saturday morning. Even then, as I mentioned, the cut off is probably 5am. Beyond that agree that it should be kanakpura route.

The other point is that most villages on the route wake up by 5.30 - 6 and hence there are are lot of people and bikes moving around. So a person unfamiliar with the route needs to take a little more care.

Those from Wayanadu or who has traveled from Bangalore to Manathavady in Wayanadu recently, I need an expert opinion. I am planning to start by around 5AM from Whitefield on Saturday, 3rd Sep.
I have traveled earlier through the third and fourth routes below, but both taking more time when compared to the first two. Which one among the first two are better and saves time? Or is there an alternate route which I have not noticed?
None of the below route involves Nice road (not expecting much traffic at 5 AM, thus saving many kilometers), and have not considered BLR - Mysore highway to avoid the crazy humps and speeding drivers.

1. Whitefield – Richmond circle – Kengeri – Mandya – Srirangapatna – Hunsur – Kutta – Mananthavady – 265 kms
2. Whitefield – BTM – JP Nagar,5th Phase – Kanakapura – Malavalli – Bannur – Mysore ORR – HD Kote – Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 270 kms
3. Whitefield – BTM – JP Nagar,5th Phase – Kanakapura – Malavalli – T-Narasipura – Nanjangud - HD Kote – Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 292 kms
4. Whitefield – BTM – JP Nagar 5th Phase – Kanakapura – Malavalli – T-Narasipura – Nanjangud – Gundlepet – Muthanga – SulthanBathery – Mananthavady – 318 kms

Quote:

Originally Posted by josebi (Post 4042365)
have not considered BLR - Mysore highway to avoid the crazy humps and speeding drivers.

You should be aware that almost all the humps have been removed and at your proposed start time, there wouldn't be many crazy drivers.

Quote:

Which one among the first two are better and saves time? Or is there an alternate route which I have not noticed?

1. Whitefield – Richmond circle – Kengeri – Mandya – Srirangapatna – Hunsur – Kutta – Mananthavady – 265 kms
2. Whitefield – BTM – JP Nagar,5th Phase – Kanakapura – Malavalli – Bannur – Mysore ORR – HD Kote – Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 270 kms
3. Whitefield – BTM – JP Nagar,5th Phase – Kanakapura – Malavalli – T-Narasipura – Nanjangud - HD Kote – Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 292 kms
4. Whitefield – BTM – JP Nagar 5th Phase – Kanakapura – Malavalli – T-Narasipura – Nanjangud – Gundlepet – Muthanga – SulthanBathery – Mananthavady – 318 kms

Of these, #1 & #4 (the ones through Hunsur & Sulthan Bathery) are unnecessarily circuitous. You should avoid them.

Note that neither of the remaining routes actually go into the town of HD Kote. They both pass through Handpost junction which is about 6 km outside of HD Kote.

Having said that, your #3 has the stretch Nanjangud-Hampapura, which has 2 km of no road. This is also best avoided. Further, all three routes from Malavalli to T. Narasipura have something or other going against them.

The most direct and preferred route to Mananthavadi is your #2. But be aware that Bannur-Mysore is currently under construction; the last 10 km or so is tough to negotiate. Hence I would recommend #2 with the modification that you should go via Ramanagara-Mandya and not via Malavalli-Bannur.

Quote:

None of the below route involves Nice road (not expecting much traffic at 5 AM, thus saving many kilometers),

For any of the routes via Kanakapura, it is not a good idea to go via the city to get on to Kanakapura Road, the metro work, etc make it really messy to get there via JP Nagar. Best is to go to Hosur Road, take NICE Road and exit at Kanakapura Road.

Quote:

and have not considered BLR - Mysore highway to avoid the crazy humps and speeding drivers.

Your route # 1 is on Bangalore-Mysore highway till Srirangapatna :D

Since you're heading to Mananthavady, you can take the turn off to the Mananthavady road just after the Mysore Palace and Kamat Madhuvan which are on the Nanjangud road.

If you start early, say 5am Mysore Road is still a good bet, the speed breakers have greatly reduced now.
At Mysore:
a) you can go straight into the city and then go towards Nanjangud Road towards Palace and Kamat Madhuvan. After Kamat Madhuvan you will see a right turn to go towards Mysore ORR, get on to this road and then turn off towards Mananthavady soon after
b) you can turn left at the Mysore ORR junction (Columbia Asia hospital on the right) and take the loop around Mysore and join back on Nanjangud Road just past Kamat Madhuvan.

Alternatively, you can take Bangalore-Kanakapura (use NICE Road from Hosur Road to Kanakapura Road exit)-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore ORR-exit onto Nanjangud road. This is easy since Bannur Road meets the left arm of the Mysore ORR and from there you just go straight towards the Nanjangud road exit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 4042426)
If you start early, say 5am Mysore Road is still a good bet, the speed breakers have greatly reduced now.
At Mysore:
a) you can go straight into the city and then go towards Nanjangud Road towards Palace and Kamat Madhuvan. After Kamat Madhuvan you will see a right turn to go towards Mysore ORR, get on to this road and then turn off towards Mananthavady soon after
b) you can turn left at the Mysore ORR junction (Columbia Asia hospital on the right) and take the loop around Mysore and join back on Nanjangud Road just past Kamat Madhuvan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4042422)
The most direct and preferred route to Mananthavadi is your #2. But be aware that Bannur-Mysore is currently under construction; the last 10 km or so is tough to negotiate. Hence I would recommend #2 with the modification that you should go via Ramanagara-Mandya and not via Malavalli-Bannur.

Thank you NPV and binand for your suggestions, now I am left with three routes,

1. Whitefield – KR Puram – Ulsoor – KR Market Flyover– Kengeri – Mandya – Srirangapatna – Mysore ORR – Hampapura - HD Kote (HandPost) - Kabini - Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 277 kms
2. Whitefield – KR Puram – Ulsoor – KR Market Flyover– Kengeri – Mandya – Srirangapatna – Mysore City – Hampapura - HD Kote (HandPost) - Kabini - Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 271 kms
3. Whitefield – NICE Rd – Kanakapura – Malavalli – Bannur – Mysore ORR – Hampapura - HD Kote (HandPost) - Kabini – Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 282 kms (binand suggesting to avoid Bannur – Mysore ORR owing to bad roads)

One more question, how is the Mysore ORR condition? If the condition is bad, I am going to take the second option

Quote:

Originally Posted by josebi (Post 4043082)
Thank you NPV and binand for your suggestions, now I am left with three routes,

1. Whitefield – KR Puram – Ulsoor – KR Market Flyover– Kengeri – Mandya – Srirangapatna – Mysore ORR – Hampapura - HD Kote (HandPost) - Kabini - Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 277 kms
2. Whitefield – KR Puram – Ulsoor – KR Market Flyover– Kengeri – Mandya – Srirangapatna – Mysore City – Hampapura - HD Kote (HandPost) - Kabini - Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 271 kms
3. Whitefield – NICE Rd – Kanakapura – Malavalli – Bannur – Mysore ORR – Hampapura - HD Kote (HandPost) - Kabini – Kattikulam – Mananthavady – 282 kms (binand suggesting to avoid Bannur – Mysore ORR owing to bad roads)

One more question, how is the Mysore ORR condition? If the condition is bad, I am going to take the second option

Go for your route #1. It is currently the best, if you are not familiar with roads within Mysore city.

Mysore ORR (technically, just MRR) is pristine. There is only one thing you need to be aware. The distance from Columbia Asia junction (where BM Road meets MRR) to its junction with Mananthavady road is approximately the same via the left half and the right half of the MRR; still the left half should be preferred as the right half goes through three single-lane railway underpasses which can potentially become traffic bottlenecks.

On the left half, count the junctions. The first major one is with Bannur Road, next is with NH 212 (T. Narasipura-Kollegal), third is with NH 212 again (Nanjangud-Gundlupet) and fourth is Mananthavady road. There are several minor junctions but you'll be able to easily identify these major ones - they are well-signposted too.

Edit: I went via Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore to Calicut on Tuesday; so what I mentioned is currently the most recent route update here. :-)

Edit2: Is this the best route to get to BM Road? Whitefield – KR Puram – Ulsoor – KR Market Flyover– Kengeri. At the time you are starting (5 AM) you should really consider Whitefield-Varthur Road-Marathahalli-ORR-Silk Board and then either Hosur Road or Bannerghata Road to NICE Road - NICE Road - Mysore Road.

Hi all,

I'm visiting wayanad this weekend (10-11 Sept) with my wife. Since there is news of proposed Karnataka bandh around this time, I think it's best to avoid Mysore road as there may be protests near mandya and srirangapatna. While going i don't see a problem since I'll be leaving Bangalore at 4AM. But while coming back how good is the route via Gundlupet - chamarajnagar - Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazer2013 (Post 4052223)
Hi all,

I'm visiting wayanad this weekend (10-11 Sept) with my wife. Since there is news of proposed Karnataka bandh around this time, I think it's best to avoid Mysore road as there may be protests near mandya and srirangapatna. While going i don't see a problem since I'll be leaving Bangalore at 4AM. But while coming back how good is the route via Gundlupet - chamarajnagar - Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore?

Road is good except for few rough patches here or there which is manageable for any vehicle. I have not heard about traffic disruptions on that road, but will be better to keep since it is part of the impacted agriculture belt.

As mentioned by others. It is bit difficult to suggest return journey route for you, since you will be traveling through areas which are seeing agitation now.

I guess one option would be to consider Mananthavady - Bavali route and reach Hunsur. From there you will have to join Hassan highway. However, I have seen reports that last week there was road block on Hassan highway too. Not sure of the location though.

Please find the route map shared by police

Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation-fb_img_1473314586119.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazer2013 (Post 4052223)

The bandh is on 9/9. So you are not travelling on the bandh day.

On the other hand, a 4 AM start is not sufficient as it takes between 3.5 to 4 hours from Bangalore to the KA-KL border; since the bandh starts at 6 AM and you will be passing through the districts that will bear the brunt of the bandh (Mandya, Chamarajanagar etc.) it is best avoided.

Hi All,

I was planning to visit jungle retreat Wayanad this Saturday,initial plan was to leave Bangalore at 4am on Saturday and take the Tholpatty-Kutta route. Will this be route be affected due to the current protests going on.
As an alternate plan I was thinking of starting on Friday evening around 6.30pm and drive till Gundlupete, take a break there and continue Saturday morning towards Wayanad.

Which one will be a better plan and route considering will be travelling with my family(a small kid) or any alternate route.

Cheers

I am planning to visit Wayanad (Banasura island - Padinjarathara) next weekend. Google maps shows me the below routes

1. Bangalore --> Srirangapatna-->Hunsur --> Gonikoppa --> Kutta --? Manathavady --? Padinjarathara

2. Bangalore --> Mysore --> Nanajangode --> Gundlupete --> Sulthan Bathery --> Kalpetta --> Padinjarathara

Things to consider
a) Taking a self-drive rental car; so need to pay RTO taxes at the border
b) Leaving early morning (4 am) from Bangalore
c) Small kids in the car; so prefer better roads

Which route will be better considering all this ? Also any idea how much time does it take to pay the RTP taxes at these places ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by singleton (Post 4079122)
c) Small kids in the car; so prefer better roads

Which route will be better considering all this ? Also any idea how much time does it take to pay the RTP taxes at these places ?

In that case, take the second route. Mananthavady-Padinjarethara and Kalpetta-Padinjarethara are similar roads and distances; and the Bangalore-Mysore-Bathery-Kalpetta route is far better (NH for the entire stretch) than the one through Mananthavady.

Kerala RTO staff generally are quite well-behaved; but it all depends on the mood of the officer on duty. Plus since you are going during a holiday weekend there might be extra traffic and intensified excise checks. Still, you should be out of the checkpost area (Muthanga) in 30 minutes worst-case.

Pay what is due because there are interceptors along the way.