Team-BHP - Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/102166-bangalore-wayanad-route-accommodation-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadows123 (Post 4005809)
Would suggest Route 2 , Except for the fact that it goes through towns this is largely an empty road with no humps where one can maintain decent speeds consistently. Chamrajanagar Gundlupet road is not so good but roads are very good apart from this stretch and you would reach Gundlupet in under 4 hours on sedate driving in this stretch while Mysore road may take an hour extra due to Mandya and the various humps in Maddur, Ramnagar, Channpatna etc. Also Nanjangud road work is going on so you will end up avoiding this if you take the Kanakpura route. The draw back with this route is BLR-Kanakpura has a lot of traffic at times(not that big a issue) and lack of restaurants in this route. There are a few in Kanakpura and after that its directly in Chamrajanagar.

Thank you. Since I stay in North Bangalore was assuming Kanakapura will be far. But looks like the distance is almost the same. I will be starting around 7 AM from Manyatha. Not sure if the traffic will trouble reaching Kanakpura. Will miss the bidadi idly though 😞

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyb4u (Post 4005856)
Thank you. Since I stay in North Bangalore was assuming Kanakapura will be far. But looks like the distance is almost the same. I will be starting around 7 AM from Manyatha. Not sure if the traffic will trouble reaching Kanakpura. Will miss the bidadi idly though 😞

You can also take this route from North Bangalore Side.

Nelamangala-Kunigal-Pandavapura-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Gundlepet-Kalpetta. It is route commonly used by folks staying in North Bangalore. With a 7am start, regular Mysore road is going to be crowded and it will take some time to get to Kanakpura Road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyb4u (Post 4005856)
Thank you. Since I stay in North Bangalore was assuming Kanakapura will be far. But looks like the distance is almost the same. I will be starting around 7 AM from Manyatha. Not sure if the traffic will trouble reaching Kanakpura. Will miss the bidadi idly though ��

Its not like the traffic is slow moving in nature(not bumper to bumper) but speeds may be slow as in 50-60kmph with lots of overtaking required on a 2 lane road with trucks and traffic at Kanakpura town during that time. But apart from that you may still be able to get decent speeds post Kanakapura all the way till Gundlupet after which it becomes a common route.

You can take the NICE road from Tumkur to reach Kanakapura road.

Alternatively one can take Tumkur Road and reach Srirangapatna as mentioned. Thats another route. But cannot avoid Nanjangud road widening work going on right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyb4u (Post 4005778)
I am planning to visit Kalpetta this week from North Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadows123 (Post 4006158)
But cannot avoid Nanjangud road widening work going on right now.

Nanjangud road works can be avoided if you go via Mysore-Handpost-Bavali-Mananthavady-Kalpetta. Distance and time taken is approximately the same. Difference is that Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bathery-Kalpetta is a national highway whereas this one is a pair of state highways of KA and KL.

Hello TBhpians,

I will be driving down to Wayanad over the long Aug 15th long weekend. Due to cancellation of a pre-planned trip, this trip has been decided on short notice and so trying to gather as much info as I can in the short time frame.

Appreciate if the regular members here can throw some light on the best route options. Trying to go through as many posts as I can to figure out the best route as of today since there seems to be lot of road widening works.

Plan to start from Bangalore around 5AM as will reach Bangalore earlier night from Hyderabad.

Option 1: Bangalore - Mysore (NH48,*NH275) - Nanjanagudu*NH766*- Gundlupete - Thepakadu (NH181) - Gudalur - Sultan bathery (pepper grove hotel)

Maps

Option 2: Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Terakanambi-Gundlupet- muthanga NH786 - sultan bathery (pepper grove hotel)

Maps

Also from Gundlupete to Wayanad, which road is very scenic i.e. is it via Muthanga NH766 or via Bandipur/Gudalur NH181

Thanks in advance guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manas_270 (Post 4030424)
I will be driving down to Wayanad over the long Aug 15th long weekend. [...]
Plan to start from Bangalore around 5AM [...]

Option 1: Bangalore - Mysore (NH48,*NH275)

This will be death. By 5 AM, Bangalore-Mysore Road on the Independence Day weekend will be full of vacationers and you will definitely end up in a massive jam - couple of years back, it had taken people 6 hours to reach Mysore. Avoid at all costs, or start earlier (not later than 4 AM).

Go via Chamarajanagar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manas_270 (Post 4030424)
Also from Gundlupete to Wayanad, which road is very scenic i.e. is it via Muthanga NH766 or via Bandipur/Gudalur NH181

Your destination in Wayanad is Sulthan Bathery, right? Go via Muthanga. The Bandipur-Gudalur-Noolpuzha-Bathery route is significantly longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4030460)
This will be death.
Go via Chamarajanagar.

Your destination in Wayanad is Sulthan Bathery, right? Go via Muthanga. The Bandipur-Gudalur-Noolpuzha-Bathery route is significantly longer.

Thanks Binand. I will be leaving Bangalore on Aug 12th (Friday) 5AM. You think even then the situation will be the same considering it is not a holiday and better to go via Chamarajanagar?

Yes, destination is Sultan Bathery but was looking to see which route is more scenic to try and cover that aspect as well :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by manas_270 (Post 4030466)
I will be leaving Bangalore on Aug 12th (Friday) 5AM. You think even then the situation will be the same considering it is not a holiday and better to go via Chamarajanagar?

August 12 is a holiday for schools and many offices in Karnataka - it is Varamahalakshmi Vratam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4030469)
August 12 is a holiday for schools and many offices in Karnataka - it is Varamahalakshmi Vratam.

Got it. Will stick to Chamarajanagar then and read up more about the route wrt food options. Thanks a lot again :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by manas_270 (Post 4030471)
Will stick to Chamarajanagar then and read up more about the route wrt food options.

There are not too many options on this route.
If you're starting very early, Vasu hotel and Srinivasa Sagar in Kanakapura will not be open.
Nijaguna in Chamarajanagar is a good option but even there sometimes it is 7am by the time you can get breakfast. So in case the place is not open you can drive upto Gundlupet and turn right towards the Mysore direction (the opposite direction as you are heading to Muthanga/Bathery) for a short distance of about 1km and you have a Nijaguna and De Shell Restaurant (hotel Misty Rock campus) and also a Coffee Day opposite to these 2 places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 4030513)
Nijaguna in Chamarajanagar is a good option but even there sometimes it is 7am by the time you can get breakfast.

Thank you NPV :thumbs up Most probably will stopover at Nijaguna since google maps says 3.5 hrs from HSR layout. So starting at 5AM as per plan will get us there by 8.30AM which is perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manas_270 (Post 4030564)
Google maps says 3.5 hrs from HSR layout.

Kanakpura road NICE road exit to Gundlupet usually takes between 2h 45 mins to 3 h 15 mins depending on traffic.

Chamarajnagarto Gundlupet will take around 35 mins, hope this helps you in planning the trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manas_270 (Post 4030564)
Thank you NPV :thumbs up Most probably will stopover at Nijaguna since google maps says 3.5 hrs from HSR layout. So starting at 5AM as per plan will get us there by 8.30AM which is perfect.

Another option is Nijaguna Gundulpete - Did not stop here on my way to ooty but seemed clean and neat from the outside. There is a CCD bang opposite this place if you dont want to risk Nijaguna.
Location - https://goo.gl/maps/h3K25YkszD82

Note: Chamrajnagar - Gundulpete is a very patchy road with a lot of bumps and unmarked speed breakers. Caution advised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 4030751)
Chamarajnagarto Gundlupet will take around 35 mins, hope this helps you in planning the trip.

Thank you for the tip :thumbs up Sure does help

Quote:

Originally Posted by procrj (Post 4030763)
Another option is Nijaguna Gundulpete - Did not stop here on my way to ooty but seemed clean and neat from the outside. There is a CCD bang opposite this place if you dont want to risk Nijaguna.
Location - https://goo.gl/maps/h3K25YkszD82

Note: Chamrajnagar - Gundulpete is a very patchy road with a lot of bumps and unmarked speed breakers. Caution advised.

Thank you for the food options. :thumbs up Will have these on my bookmark if need be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4030460)

Binand, though the route is longer, if it is scenic, I will prefer going to Bathery via Bandipur-Gudalur rather than Muthanga. Can you advise which is the scenic one among the both?

Quote:

Originally Posted by manas_270 (Post 4032023)
Binand, though the route is longer, if it is scenic, I will prefer going to Bathery via Bandipur-Gudalur rather than Muthanga. Can you advise which is the scenic one among the both?

Taking the liberty to answer. The Bandipur-Gudalur route will be more scenic simply because it is much longer and takes more time. The Bandipur-Mudumalai forest section is longer and hence chances for wild animal spottings are more. If I am not wrong, Gudalur-Bathery also has some good views.

If you want to simply drive a bit and have lot of time to kill, then may be you can take the Gudalur route, otherwise makes no sense. Instead of the roughly 1 hour driving time between Gundlepet and Bathery, you are looking at 2.5 to 3 hours. I would suggest taking the straight route and using the extra time to explore some additional site seeing spots in Wayanad.

Edit: Although other experts have recommended Kanakpura route, if you can actually start by 5am latest and you are leaving on Friday, I would recommend the Mysore-Nanjangud route. With the limited speed humps and the left ring of the Mysore Bypass open, it is a significantly smooth drive.