Team-BHP - Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/102166-bangalore-wayanad-route-accommodation-17.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdutta (Post 3860277)
Are RTO checkposts usually clearly marked ? Will they flag down yellow-board vehicles (that way I won't miss) ?

I had taken Zoom car to Kannur, Kerala and the RTO post was around 2-3kms after crossing the border. Best bet is to just ask around if you find any auto rick or taxi drivers. There will not be much rush at RTO, compared to the commercial sales tax post. The fee was Rs 150(valid for a week) and they issue a printed receipt. They don't flag down any cars, and it is purely 'voluntary' payment.

The yellow letters on black board is not common in Kerala and the cops don't know much about it. I was flagged down in Calicut for having a 'fancy' number plate. Had a tough time explaining to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoy (Post 3861066)
The yellow letters on black board is not common in Kerala and the cops don't know much about it. I was flagged down in Calicut for having a 'fancy' number plate. Had a tough time explaining to them.

Wow, time for some training then for these cops :D
From my experience driving on the Bangalore-Wayanad route, I found that once the traffic cops see an out of state car, they look for things like driver wearing seat belt, then check license, vehicle RC, insurance and finally the PUC. I keep wondering about the PUC, do traffic cops have the power to actually fine someone for not having a valid PUC ? For some reason I keep thinking only the RTO folks can check this. :eek:

*In any case I always make it a point to keep the car's PUC upto date at all times and is one of the things to verify on my checklist anytime I drive outside Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 3861481)
I keep wondering about the PUC, do traffic cops have the power to actually fine someone for not having a valid PUC ? For some reason I keep thinking only the RTO folks can check this. :eek:

*In any case I always make it a point to keep the car's PUC upto date at all times and is one of the things to verify on my checklist anytime I drive outside Bangalore.

The PUC is the probably the easiest one to get some fund collection :). Most folks will carry license, RC and insurance. PUC is something that is easily forgotten or ignored.

Couple of times I have been stopped, the inspector looked surprised that I had a valid PUC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3861501)
Couple of times I have been stopped, the inspector looked surprised that I had a valid PUC.

Yes, agree! We were stopped once at Kalpetta and the cops were really shocked when I showed them a valid PUC. It was like they were overconfident we will have at least one document out of place and they can fine us but disappointed when they couldn't :D
So back to the PUC thing do they have the power to check and fine for it or only RTO personnel can do that ?

I might be travelling to Tirunelli this weekend. Its been a year since I have taken the Hunsur, Nagerhole road. Is it recommended to use HD Kottey road and turn from Kattikulam or go on the Hunsur Nagerhole route. I will be using Fortuner, but still want to make sure the entire forest stretch in Nagerhole is not in a horrible shape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoy (Post 3861066)
...The fee was Rs 150(valid for a week) and they issue a printed receipt. They don't flag down any cars, and it is purely 'voluntary' payment.

Bejoy ... Looking at last few posts I felt that this entry fee was for commercial/self-drive cars only and would not apply to personal vehicles, but from your post it appears even that is not compulsory.

So, can we totally avoid it for personal car, or should we pay up to keep things simpler in bigger picture (getting checked later on, etc.)?

How is Mananthavaadi -- Kattikulam -- Tholpetty -- Kutta -- Hunsur route? I am planning to drive on 2nd Jan. Please advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepv (Post 3877494)
Bejoy ... Looking at last few posts I felt that this entry fee was for commercial/self-drive cars only and would not apply to personal vehicles, but from your post it appears even that is not compulsory.

So, can we totally avoid it for personal car, or should we pay up to keep things simpler in bigger picture (getting checked later on, etc.)?

It is compulsory for the taxis and the taxi folks religiously pay up at each borders. What I meant was that they don't flag any cars down for payment. Sorry if my post was confusing!

The private cars need not pay any entry tax (in KL, TN, AP or KA).

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoy (Post 3880655)
The private cars need not pay any entry tax (in KL, TN, AP or KA).

I have done AP/TS -> KA -> KL -> TN in last few days, and didn't get flagged/stopped at any posts.
But after your update, I was prepared to pay that entry tax.

BHPians, I'm headed to Wayanad with family on the 14th (stay at the Karapuzha Village Resort, close to Sultan Bathery). Considering its Sankranti, just wondering which would be the better route on that day? Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Wayanad or Bangalore-Kanakpura-Gundlupet-Wayanad?

Your expertise and past travels during this weekend on these routes would be really appreciated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinothAJ (Post 3883323)
Your expertise and past travels during this weekend on these routes would be really appreciated!

If you can start by 5am, Mysore road is fine - few rough patches/road widening work between Mysore-Nanjangud but manageable, else go via Kanakapura - you can break at Nijaguna, Chamarajanagar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinothAJ (Post 3883323)
BHPians, I'm headed to Wayanad with family on the 14th (stay at the Karapuzha Village Resort, close to Sultan Bathery). Considering its Sankranti, just wondering which would be the better route on that day? Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Wayanad or Bangalore-Kanakpura-Gundlupet-Wayanad?

You will expect rush along Mysore road for sure. The better option would be to go via Kanakapura road. The only drawback on this route will be the lack of proper eateries apart from Nijaguna Residency or Hotel Mayura near the KSRTC bus stand in Chamarajangar

Folks

My friend will be driving from Sulthan Bathery to Ooty. He will be accompanied with his wife and 5 yr old daughter.

Which will be the best route considering the road conditions and any good choice of hotel enroute?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suresh_gs (Post 3947813)
My friend will be driving from Sulthan Bathery to Ooty. He will be accompanied with his wife and 5 yr old daughter.

Which will be the best route considering the road conditions and any good choice of hotel enroute?

At Bathery itself there is a diversion from the NH 212 and this road reaches Gudalur. From there it is the regular NH to Ooty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suresh_gs (Post 3947813)

Well, there is a direct road from Bathery to Gudalur. The turn-off is immediately after Mintflower to the left when going towards Calicut. The road looks alright at both ends but the quality of the middle is unknown.

There are many other connections to the Chundale-Nadugani-Gudalur state highway too. Local drivers should be able to advice on road conditions.