Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 00:04   #76
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shillong - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have personally found roads being repaired by December last, January first between Maldah to Siliguri.

I am 100% sure you are right in what you are saying about the roads between Malda and siliguri (which falls under NH31). But I was only referring to NH 31A which i think starts from Sevoke (20 kms east of siliguri) to Gantok. This section is quite narrow in 50% of the places and quite winding as well. And road side drainage system is pretty much non existent so though they repair the damage, a few days of winter rains and bits of the hard work gets washed away. But you cant really blame the BRO, its a very tough highway to maintain with very heavy traffic to and from sikkim making it that much harder to work un-interrupted.

On top of that you have very heavy trucks using sections of the highway (31A) for the construction of the Teesta river Hydro project.

Last edited by amrisharm : 25th August 2011 at 00:11.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 11:32   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
As Sheel says, you should halt the day 5 at Siliguri, because the next leg of journeys is very arduous.
Regds
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I too would have to recommend strongly that you stay the night in siliguri..... "Marinas Hotel" in Bagdogra, near the Airport( 8 kms from siliguri). Its very clean and frequented by decent people with families. You can stay there for the night and start your journey the next day.
I have modified the plan to stay at Siliguri on Day5.
@amrisharm: Thank you for the hotel information. I dont have any intention to enter Siliguri since it is just a stop over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
@Holyghost - I have a concern for day 12. Guwahati-Shillong will take around 3.5-4 hours and from Shillong, Cherrapunjee (aka Sohra) is another 2-3 hours drive round way.

My suggestion will be on Day 12, reach Shillong early, explore and night halt at Shillong. On day 13, try to reach Cherrapunjee(Sohra) early, explore and start for Kaziranga.

Another thing is that you cannot enjoy Kaziranga and reach Tawang in the same day. Try to increase a day, so that you can enjoy the places.
I know that I am rushing through all these places. May be an extra day is all that is possible.
Should I skip some places and enjoy the best locations or should I visit max no places possible in this time frame?
What do you guys suggest? I dont think I'd be doing a similar trip in future.

Quote:
Holy Ghost - As mentioned by Haldar, monsoon gets over by mid October. The roads take almost 2 months to be back in shape. I would be able to give you feedback of the section between Patna - Siliguri as accurate as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
This section is quite narrow in 50% of the places and quite winding as well. And road side drainage system is pretty much non existent so though they repair the damage, a few days of winter rains and bits of the hard work gets washed away. But you cant really blame the BRO, its a very tough highway to maintain with very heavy traffic to and from sikkim making it that much harder to work un-interrupted.

On top of that you have very heavy trucks using sections of the highway (31A) for the construction of the Teesta river Hydro project.
@sheel; amirsham; I will keep in touch with you guys to get the updates.
Old 25th August 2011, 21:03   #78
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I know that I am rushing through all these places. May be an extra day is all that is possible.
Should I skip some places and enjoy the best locations or should I visit max no places possible in this time frame?
What do you guys suggest? I dont think I'd be doing a similar trip in future.
Considering the above points, I would suggest 1 extra day for Kaziranga because by the time you reach Kaziranga from Cherrapunjee, it will be dark and to reach Tawang, you have to start early next day. You can at best take an early morning safari hurriedly to reach Tawang on time, i.e., before dark.

My suggestion would be spend the day 14 at Kaziranga, take morning and evening safari at different points and start early for Tawang next day. Or alternatively, you can take the morning safari at leisure and after lunch start for Bhalukpong enroute to Tawang (or rather getway to Arunachal Pradesh) and spend the night there. There is a beautiful place near Jia Bharali river (oops! forgot the name, sorry). North-east is a unique place and you will love it.

BTW, personally I would advise not to drive after sundown in North-East and also for calculation of journey time in North-East, please reduce your avg. speed.(For example, Guwahati-Shillong is approx. 100 Kms but you will need around 3.5-4 hours to reach).

Wishing you a great trip ahead.
Old 29th August 2011, 21:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have personally found roads being repaired by December last, January first between Maldah to Siliguri.

FYI,
Did a Santiniketan round trip yesterday. From Ilam Bazar to after the Panagar RoB (where the dual carriageway starts again) took ~ 2hrs.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th August 2011, 12:38   #80
Team-BHP Support

Just back after seeing Sumit on the way to Delhi. They started at 6:30am from Shillong and were at Purnea at 11:45pm.

Roads prior to Siliguri (the Mainaguri section) are dug up. He is suggesting some alternate post Siliguri.
He will up-date once he can
Old 17th September 2011, 14:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Sheel, any chance of posting a log for the Panagar - Dumka - Dalkhola section a la HVK.

Will have to travel mid next week, and need to take a call:- road or air.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:20   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Sheel, any chance of posting a log for the Panagar - Dumka - Dalkhola section a la HVK.

Will have to travel mid next week, and need to take a call:- road or air.

Regards
Sutripta
Good luck with your trip. I hope the current developments hasn't affected your plan. Do keep us posted on the conditions if you travel.
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Decision :- Air.
I come here on work.
Ride around the hills on weekends. Thinking of giving it a miss this time.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th October 2011, 19:32   #84
BHPian

Friends,
An unexpected resignation of my colleague has send my plan in a downward spiral.

I am left with no choice other than to postpone the trip by a few months. What would be the next ideal time to make this trip? 2012 Jan, Feb, March?

@Sutripta: How was your trip?

Last edited by Holyghost : 14th October 2011 at 19:35.
Old 14th October 2011, 19:40   #85
BHPian

In my opinion I think you should plan your trip for Feb end/ march. This is the best time to visit Bhutan and Shillong as the cold will have died down quite a bit, and at the same time the plains wont be that hot either. You will get clear skies with very minimal chances of rain. Good luck 2nd time round
Old 15th October 2011, 21:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
@Sutripta: How was your trip?
Nothing of note, except the Siliguri - Jalpaiguri - Mainaguri road, for all practical purpose, does not exist.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th October 2011, 21:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

The Himalayan hill countries and stations are complicated to travel due to the geographical conditions. Winter will be severe cold.Summer will be of with landslide road block etc. In winter interior roads might be covered with snow too. So most appropriate time to travel is March and April.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:18   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Nothing of note, except the Siliguri - Jalpaiguri - Mainaguri road, for all practical purpose, does not exist.

Regards
Sutripta
I am back from a Darjeeling- Bhutan - Dooars trip done on rental cars.

The driver took village roads from Lataguri to Siliguri instead of the usual Lataguri- Maynaguri- Siliguri road. The roads were very good and desolate.

Maynaguri to Lataguri is 18 kms and is excellently paved.
Old 17th October 2011, 09:24   #89
Senior - BHPian

^^^
NH31 (Siliguri - Sevok - Chalsa) is in OK condition, and (Chalsa - Mainaguri) in excellent condition. This is ~ 45 KM longer than the Siliguri - Japaiguri - Mainaguri route.

Quote:
The driver took village roads from Lataguri to Siliguri instead of the usual Lataguri- Maynaguri- Siliguri road. The roads were very good and desolate.
That will be the road via Kranti. Where did you cross the Tista: Sevok or Gajoldoba?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th March 2012, 11:01   #90

Holyghost,
Since am also planning for a trip to Northeast this April/May and saw you are planning for the same from b.lore, Wanted to get in touch with you regarding the same, Do let me know if you have not already hit the road and we will hookup once in b.lore and take it forward. If you are already on the move your comeback experience will matter the most too.
Cheers/wins

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks