Team-BHP - Wayanad - 2 day / 3-day itinerary?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Wayanad - 2 day / 3-day itinerary? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/104913-wayanad-2-day-3-day-itinerary.html)

Hi friends,

I am thinking of taking a day off in addition to the Aug 15th long weekend and drive to Wayanad from Chennai. I guess one day will be spent in getting there and one day in getting back. In between I will have 2 days to spend there.

I'm trying to figure out what's the "best of Wayanad" to pack into these 2 days, considering I stay somewhere in Kalpetta?

From preliminary googling, I have a rough idea:

Day 1 - Vythiri direction:
Chembra Peak
Pookot lake

Day 2
Banasura Sagar Dam
Meenmutty Water Fall

Questions:
- Will we be missing much if we miss the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary? Should we consider going to the Sanctuary instead of any of the above mentioned places?

- I would really like to see Edakkal Caves - what do you think of it? Where would you suggest I pack that into my itinerary?

- Or, can you suggest me some other 2-day itinerary staying at Kalpetta?
(please note: neither my wife nor I are very much interested in seeing elephants etc. rather, we just want to enjoy the scenic nature / cool climate).

- Somehow if I manage to get one more day leave and make it a 3-day stay there (and whip up the budget for 4 nights stay), then what itinerary would you suggest for 3 days?

- I am also searching for a place to stay. Let me know if you have any feedback about Haritagiri hotel or any other low-budget place in Kalpetta.

- Usually are the hotels full in Kalpetta or is it normally easy to get a place to stay? (I don't want to pay an advance and book unless I can avoid it).

Thanks much in advance.

(Note to mods: I did search the forums but I figured, posting this as a separate thread would help anyone who is planning a weekend in Wayanad).

Long Weekend, you better book! Whole of Bangalore would be there ! :)
2 days is good fot enjoy. But do note it would be raining.

Hence best thing would be to hunt for a place, which you would be able to enjoy even while staying in the resort.
(This is in case you are not able to venture out)

Homestays are better than proper hotels or resorts-
I would say, for wayanad. As it gives u a better ambience amidst nature and rates reasonable.
One that we stayed last time (as well as recommended to my friends with nice feedback) is a homestay near Soochippara waterfalls (a waterfall u wont want to miss- near Meppadi and enroute calicut from Kalpetta) valentinewayanad dot com is the link; it provides quite good info on what u require.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajushank84 (Post 2439171)
Day 1 - Vythiri direction:
Chembra Peak
Pookot lake

Pokkot Lake is good but I don't know if you'll be able to enjoy it in the rains; doubt the boating will be on.

Quote:

Banasura Sagar Dam
Meenmutty Water Fall
Banasura Dam would be good in the monsoon; avoid Meenmutty Falls. It is not worth the effort. You have to trek about 500m to get there and in the rains, it would be slushy and there'll be leeches. Strike it off.

Quote:

- I would really like to see Edakkal Caves - what do you think of it? Where would you suggest I pack that into my itinerary?
Please check if Edykkal cakes are open for public; last I checked, there were closed for renovation.

Quote:

- I am also searching for a place to stay. Let me know if you have any feedback about Haritagiri hotel or any other low-budget place in Kalpetta.

- Usually are the hotels full in Kalpetta or is it normally easy to get a place to stay? (I don't want to pay an advance and book unless I can avoid it).
Do stay in a homestay at Kalpetta rather than a hotel; you'll enjoy the experience. You can check Rainbow Holiday Home.

If you want to know other places popular in wayanad, there is also Kanthapara waterfall and Kuruva island. Don't bother too much about the itinerary based on kalpetta. All the sightseeing locations are quite closeby. If you are passing by sultan Bathery there is a 1000 year old temple there now maintained by ASI. If you aren't passing by that town, don't bother, the place is not so good to warrant a de-tour for its sake.

Attaching a tourist map of wayanad which I used when I went there last year :D Might be of help to you

Wayanad - 2 day / 3-day itinerary?-wayanadmap.png
Note to mods: I had taken this picture from google image search long back, pointing to a blog site. If posting this image (having another website's logo) is against the rules, please delete.

Hotel Haritagiri is bad. Please avoid it. Rooms were stinking of cigarette smoke and the bed linen had fungus on it. I fled the place after entering the rooms. The restaurant is no better. That is the worst food I have ever tasted in my life.:Frustrati They have a sister hotel in Mananthavady called Brahmagiri, that is slightly better than Haritagiri. As others said, try to go to a homestay. Its a unique experience and most homestay hosts are very accomodating and friendly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2439462)
avoid Meenmutty Falls. It is not worth the effort. You have to trek about 500m to get there and in the rains, it would be slushy and there'll be leeches. Strike it off.

+1 to this. Avoid Meenmutty falls. In fact, even chembara peak will be full of leeches now. Anyway as an alternative to Meenmutty falls, since you are going to Chembara peak, I would suggest you to go to Soochipara falls which is closeby. Steps are laid out for 70% of the distance. for the remaining 30% it is not so tough to trek down, even elders and ladies could manage it.

I had made a 2-day Wayanad trip last November, with the intention of packing in as many places as possible. But I found that most of the tourist places are quite far off each other (sometimes 20-30km), and it becomes a pain to visit two of them in a day. And with the rains, I don't know what condition the roads will be in. That could make the journey between the places even more difficult. So I suggest that you do some research on the road conditions as well before making the itinerary.

Guys it is rainy season in all these areas, remember when it starts raining it really bad , roads will be full of potholes riding in intense monsoon rain is not a very plesant experience as far as my experieince goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajushank84 (Post 2439171)
Hi friends,

I am thinking of taking a day off in addition to the Aug 15th long weekend and drive to Wayanad from Chennai. I guess one day will be spent in getting there and one day in getting back. In between I will have 2 days to spend there.

Raju,

Two days three nights are sufficient to explore Wayanad unless you are a naturalist or a trekker. Having said this, pls note couple of things

a) As Ampere rightly says, whole Bangalore will be there and you will not enjoy the serenity of many places - specially Pookat lake which is to be enjoyed for tranquil atmopshere. We were there for good friday long week end and Pookat was a big Mela:Frustrati. Since ours was fourth trip to Wayanad, it did not matter. If you are going for the first time you may be trifle dissappointed.Go there first thing in morning before anyone comes and enjoy the tranquility. Boating is not only thing in Pookat. They have a nice walking track around the lake. go for liesurely walk. You will love it.

b) Secondly, it will be raining and most places will be slippery. Specially the routes to water falls at Meenmutty and Soojipara. You need to be very careful. Also check locally whether they are open.

c) You may not be abe to trek to Chembra beacuse of rains. Check locally.

d) Edakkal caves may be closed due to floodiing in monsoons. Pls check. Same with Kuruva dweep island. Pls check and confirm. Else you will be disppointed.

e) Wild life sanctuaries in western ghats including Wayand will be closed during monsoons.

f) For stay check out these three. Have heard good reviews on them.

http://www.fringeford.com/
Rain Country Resort ? A jungle resort in Wayanad Kerala India | Wayanad Tourism
Glenora Homestay - Premium Homestay in Wayanad, Kerala, Farm Tourism Provider in Wayanad

Pls check with them whether they are open as they located amidst forests.

g) Wayanad requires you to walk a bit. Get good shoes. As it will be raining have good umbrellas. Also be aware that there will be leeches in waterfalls area. But don't worry about them. They are harm less:)

i) Ideally during august, these are the places you can cover - Pookat, Soojipara and Meenmutty water falls, Banasura dam (Dam closes by 6 PM), Pazhasi raja tombs. Other places - Kuruva dweep an Chembra may not be accessible.

Thanks all. Now after these suggestions I realize that perhaps I should change the location to Valparai or Munnar - though every hill station will be crowded, I guess those near Bangalore will be more crowded as Bangaloreans travel/drive a lot.

Also, my mother-in-law will be with us and she has a knee problem, so anything like trekking or even long walkinng is completely ruled out. So guess I can put plan some location other than Wayanad.

Thanks again.

Note: Please don't close this thread - we can keep this as a reference thread for Wayanad-related accomodation queries, tourist spot information, etc. Just my suggestion.

If you can get a stay in a tea estate in Valparai, that would be ideal for the weekend. No need to go anywhere.
You can laze around on the green tea gardens. May be on a clear day drive to one of those beautiful dams
which hopefully would be full by then.

But do note that these tea estate bungalows have more than one rooms and hence you can have another family also.
If there are enough people you can book the full bungalow (2 rooms for example).

Driving to Valparai from Chennai is also a nice experience.

Thanks Ampere. After discussing with everyone and explaining all these factors, Munnar was voted. So looks like another Munnar trip is coming up :)

I'll keep posting the details elsewhere, and leave this thread for Wayanad.

Hello All,

Was planning the first ever picnic outing in my life - with my parents. We kind of finalised on Wayanad and Coorg. The trip was decided at a very short notice - infact, I just finalised my destination, and the trip is to start on Sunday! (November 6, 2011)

Here is an outline of the plan:

November 6: Leave from Kodungallur, Kerala, plan to reach Thirunelli by evening (depending on what time I leave Kodungallur) - the visit to Thirunelli depends a lot on availability of accomodation in Thirunelli/Mananthavady. (Suggestions for the same would be appreciated)

November 7: Leave for Madikeri, from Thirunelli - start around 11 in the morning, to be in Madikeri by evening. The route proposed is via Kutta-Gonikoppa-Virajpet. How is the condition of this route? I'd be driving my Punto - will this route be suitable for my drive?

November 8: After sightseeing in Madikeri, I plan to head towards Thalassery (via Virajpet, Makoottam, Iritty, Koothuparamba). Depending on the time of leaving from Madikeri, I'd either halt at Kozhikode, or carry on to Kodungallur.

Now to my questions:
1. Is this a workable plan?
2. I'd be traveling with my parents - so what places would be suggested around Madikeri - I plan to visit Thalacavery.. which other places are suggested?
3. Any suggestions on stays - it would be a budget trip.

I know its very short notice - but can't really help it since I was tied up with College - just got free today, and have some free time until next Wednesday (Nov 09, 11).

Sorry for creating another topic - just due to my urgency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaiks (Post 2566807)
Here is an outline of the plan:

November 6: Leave from Kodungallur, Kerala, plan to reach Thirunelli by evening (depending on what time I leave Kodungallur) - the visit to Thirunelli depends a lot on availability of accomodation in Thirunelli/Mananthavady. (Suggestions for the same would be appreciated)

November 7: Leave for Madikeri, from Thirunelli - start around 11 in the morning, to be in Madikeri by evening. The route proposed is via Kutta-Gonikoppa-Virajpet. How is the condition of this route? I'd be driving my Punto - will this route be suitable for my drive?

November 8: After sightseeing in Madikeri, I plan to head towards Thalassery (via Virajpet, Makoottam, Iritty, Koothuparamba). Depending on the time of leaving from Madikeri, I'd either halt at Kozhikode, or carry on to Kodungallur.

Now to my questions:
1. Is this a workable plan?
2. I'd be traveling with my parents - so what places would be suggested around Madikeri - I plan to visit Thalacavery.. which other places are suggested?
3. Any suggestions on stays - it would be a budget trip.

Even though the shortest way to Thirunelli would be through the Thamarassery ghats (NH212 from Calicut), that road is in terrible shape, so may be you should consider going via Nilambur (Kodungallur-Ponnani-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Nilambur-Nadugani-Vaduvanchal-Ambalavayal-Meenangadi-Panamaram-Mananthavady-Thirunelli) - would probably be about 30 kms extra, but it'd be easier on your car.

Thirunelli has a Temple guest house (Panchatheertham) that is right outside the temple which is very cheap. Also there's a KTDC Tamrind hotel close by as well as a few resorts and homestays. No idea about quality since I've never stayed there.

Expect bad to very bad roads on your trip to Madikeri and back via Thalasseri. Roads in Coorg are in bad shape (Kutta-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Madikeri) and there aren't too many alternaives either. For the return route via Iritti, checkout the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...fo-needed.html - it generally has up to date info on roads in Coorg and the Iritti route. NH17 north of Calicut is also in terrible condition as per last reports - especially around Mahe.

Check this post by Surprise for accomodations at Coorg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2342944

We stayed at
www.parumpara.com/junglecamp.htm, great location, decent rooms, okay food, affordable. Just be carefull with the bookings and get it confirmed properly, otherwise the place is a good stay. 3000 (AP)per nite for 3 people in the dam facing cottages, the delux rooms are even around 2K per night I guess, ask for the dam facing rooms if you opt for this.

For Thirunelli, if its just an overnight stay the KTDC Tamarind should fit the bill,
KTDC Tamarind Easy Hotels, Kerala, India

Places in Coorg are a bit spread out, so plan accordingly, Talacauvery is definetly worth a visit. We stayed at coorg for two days, and could only cover Talacauvery, Bylekuppe/Golden Temple and Nisargadhama. This was because we did not plan to visit places much, but you have to plan according to where you decide to stay.

We stayed at Palace estate close to Virajpet.
HomeStay in Coorg, Palace Estate

This is an excellent place. Misty woods is also close by and you can visit there as well. Also both these places are very close to Talacauvery (12 kms away if I remember correctly)

When you are going to Talacauvery, add Bhagamandala to your places to visit.

If you can travel 30kms from Madikeri, Nisargdama is another good place which is on the banks of River cauvery. Kushalnagar / GOlden Temple(Tibetan monastry and settlement) is a great place to spend some time.

As mentioned by Kala, Thamarassery ghats are not in great shape. But I am not sure of the alternative routes.