Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 14:29   #1
BHPian

Route from Bangalore to Ankola?!

Hi guys!!

We have a trip planned next weekend from Bangalore to Ankola (coastal Karnataka). But recent news of heavy rains along western Karnataka & landslides on the ghat areas have left us a bit worried about the current state of the roads leading to our destination.

So just want to know the best route to take to this place, keeping in mind the current state of the roads during monsoons.

Awaiting your valuable inputs! Thanks!!
Old 5th August 2011, 14:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route from Bangalore to Ankola?!

Bangalore-Goa thread should have all your answers. In spite of rain, the best road is:

Bangalore-Hubli NH4
Hubli-Ankola NH63.

Anyoption through NH206 (via Honnavar) or Sirsi/Yellapur, needs to be checked for road status. But the NH63 will most remain good. Others can update on this, or you may already have status available on the Goa thread.
Old 5th August 2011, 14:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Goa thread should have all your answers. In spite of rain, the best road is:

Bangalore-Hubli NH4
Hubli-Ankola NH63.

Anyoption through NH206 (via Honnavar) or Sirsi/Yellapur, needs to be checked for road status. But the NH63 will most remain good. Others can update on this, or you may already have status available on the Goa thread.
The road condition at Yellapur is my major concern, as news of road being blocked here due to landslides surfaced few days back.
Anyway thanks for your inputs, will check out the Bangalore-Goa thread too!
Old 5th August 2011, 15:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Haveri (NH4)- Sirsi - Ankola is also a good option.
Old 5th August 2011, 16:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
The road condition at Yellapur is my major concern, as news of road being blocked here due to landslides surfaced few days back.
Anyway thanks for your inputs, will check out the Bangalore-Goa thread too!
I had done the Hubli-Ankola NH 63 route on July 18th on my way from Ahmedabad to Kerala. At that time, NH 63 was in its best condition. Had absolutely no problem. I havent heard of any news on landslide and road blockage on this route of late. Was it after July 18?
Old 5th August 2011, 23:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
I had done the Hubli-Ankola NH 63 route on July 18th on my way from Ahmedabad to Kerala. At that time, NH 63 was in its best condition. Had absolutely no problem. I havent heard of any news on landslide and road blockage on this route of late. Was it after July 18?
Don't exactly remember, but it was in some news and Yellapur was mentioned.
As per your experience, even though there had been heavy rainfall, overall the road must be good! I'm somewhat relieved now!
Old 6th August 2011, 08:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Last month during rains there were landslides , things are cleared sometime back. It is nice to see you are visiting Ankola. Be sure to visit Hotel Sapna 100 meters away from NH17 and you may give my reference Ravi Bhat as we are family friends and neighbours while we stayed in Ankola. You can get excellant veg. food there. If you are visiting relatives thats fine

If you need any pointers I will be happy to provide the same. Do visit few beaches like Basakallu gudda and Belekeri beach and nearby places there. Be sure take safety measures while visiting there since it is rainy season!

I suggest try Yaana while going to Ankola (Blre-haveri-Sirsi-Hegdekatta-Matti ghatta-yaana - 500km) and try Magod Falls while coming from Ankola (Ankola-nh63-magod falls - yellapur-hubli-blre - 550km) If you do day drive.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks