Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2011, 17:51   #1
BHPian

Shivanasamudra route directions?

Hi guys,

I plan to take a trip to bluff mainly gaganachukki and barachukki. Would want to know the routes and also which one is best. I have heard routes from Kanakapura and maddur but want to know the exact routes and road conditions, as this is my first time. My drive is WagonR. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Ramki
Old 7th August 2011, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Ramki,

The route through kanakapura is a 2 lane... It is scenic to drive through when compared with Mysore road. However there will be truck traffic.
Mysore road can be taken to cover the distance faster. The road condition between Maddur and malavalli is not good. Uneven road with lots of patchwork.
As far as my knowledge goes the difference in both these routes should not be more than 15kms (Mysore road more than kanakpura road)
Old 7th August 2011, 18:18   #3
BHPian

Re: Shivanasamudra route directions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post
Ramki,

The route through kanakapura is a 2 lane... It is scenic to drive through when compared with Mysore road. However there will be truck traffic.
Mysore road can be taken to cover the distance faster. The road condition between Maddur and malavalli is not good. Uneven road with lots of patchwork.
As far as my knowledge goes the difference in both these routes should not be more than 15kms (Mysore road more than kanakpura road)
Thanks Arun. Ok so i shall go towards Kanakpura Road only. After i reach Kanakpura what is the route which i need to take to reach my destination?
Please explain.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 7th August 2011, 19:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Thanks Arun. Ok so i shall go towards Kanakpura Road only. After i reach Kanakpura what is the route which i need to take to reach my destination?
Please explain.

Thanks,
Ramki

Is about 110 Km from NICE junction.

NICE Ring Rd to NH 209 - Google Maps
Old 7th August 2011, 19:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
In Kanakapura town, follow the road that looks like a highway (The road curves right just as you enter the town and curves left again after about 100 meters or so - This 100 meter stretch was being retarred when I passed by a month back, they might have completed it now. From then on it's a divided road till the end of town). Continue on this road and after about 40 kms or so you'll hit a T junction very near Malavalli Town. Take left to go to Shivanasamudra (about 15 kms if I remember right). The right turn goes to Malavalli town and continues on to Maddur.

The roads are in good shape all through till Shivanasamudra.
Old 8th August 2011, 13:31   #6
BHPian

We visited Bheemeshwari last week. The road is very good throughout. Last year, when I had visited Shivanasamudra, the whole Kanakpura town was nothing but potholes. Now, the whole road has been re-layed and it is very good. This route is better than taking the Mysore road as the road from Maddur to Malavalli is not very good.
Old 8th August 2011, 14:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Are there any decent restaurants on Kanakpura road ?

Mysore road has plenty of them (including McDonald's).

Rohan
Old 8th August 2011, 15:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
There are only these Dhabas and a couple of good restaurants near the NICE road entrance. After that there no decent restaurants on the entire stretch. There is 1 in Kanakapura town but I wouldn't vouch for the hygiene standards there.

If a breakfast stop is what you need, my suggestion would be to take the Mysore road route

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th August 2011 at 15:36.
Old 8th August 2011, 15:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rohan
Rohan,

There is a new one which as opened on the outskirts of Kanakapura when are you are coming from Bangalore. Looks decent though not tried. If you plan to drive on this road beyond Malavalli, Hotel Annapurna in Kollegal is the best bet.

Pls do not go to Shivana samudram via maddur as the road between Maddur - Malavalli is not in good condition.
Old 8th August 2011, 21:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rohan
Closer to Shivanasamudram a resort has opened up by name Georgia Sunshine Village. Looks good. Not tested by me. You can check with them whether one can come for lunch. Here is the link.

GeorgiaSunshine
Old 8th August 2011, 23:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
There are only these Dhabas and a couple of good restaurants near the NICE road entrance. After that there no decent restaurants on the entire stretch. There is 1 in Kanakapura town but I wouldn't vouch for the hygiene standards there.

If a breakfast stop is what you need, my suggestion would be to take the Mysore road route
There's a tiny Darshini type restaurant just before you reach Harohalli that I found quite OK. It's on the left hand side of the road, just after a petrol bunk. Don't recall the name - but I have stopped there for breakfast a couple of times and it's pretty neat and tasty. The only issue is that it is quite close to Bangalore - about half an hour drive from the NICE road intersection.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:56   #12
BHPian

Thanks guys for your replies. I indeed took the below route.
8.15 am Rajajinagar -> Outer ring road -> Mysore road -> Nice Junction -> Kanakpura road -> Kanakpura -> Malavalli -> Bluff.
The above road condition are very good with no potholes till Bluff and the drive was a breeze. But on the contrary we couldn't find any decent hotels in Kanakpura or nearby. Hence, while returning we took
Bluff -> Malavalli -> Maddur route. This stretch from Malavalli to Maddur is full of potholes! We took this stretch to have some food in Maddur Adigas.

From Maddur it was again a breeze as it was Monday with less traffic and we reached home by 5 pm.

Ramki.
Old 9th August 2011, 22:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Glad to know that Kanakpura road condition is good. Planning to take a spin in this route on Saturday or Sunday. Not sure which all places should we cover. We'll be families with small kids so not prefer much of walking. Some cool drives and some good picnic is what we are looking at and offcourse some clicking. we should be able to start little early if needed but need to be back in the eve. Pls guide.
Old 10th August 2011, 08:38   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Closer to Shivanasamudram a resort has opened up by name Georgia Sunshine Village. Looks good. Not tested by me. You can check with them whether one can come for lunch. Here is the link.

GeorgiaSunshine
Yes this is a good. I have got multiple references to this place and most reviews were decent.
Its a nice weekend outing where you can stay overnight. They also arrange for trek near those places.

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2011 at 08:40.
Old 10th August 2011, 10:10   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post
Ramki,

The road condition between Maddur and malavalli is not good. Uneven road with lots of patchwork.

Avoid the Mysore highway. Kanakpura rd is the way to go!

Quote:

Rohan
Dont start the trip without breakfast.
Since traffic on this road is very less nobody is running dhabas on this 130km stretch. The restaurant at Gaganchukki serves very good set dosa's with chutney.

Barachukki can be seen in 10 mins flat. Spend most of you time at the first Gaganchukki stop and the next one on the Dargah side just before Barachukki is also worth it.

I was there this Sunday. Really enjoyable drive compared to Mysore Highway.

--Ragul

Note from Mod: Please continue the discussion in this thread

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2013 at 15:29. Reason: Adding a closing note pointing to a larger thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks