Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 17:03   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Belgaum - Goa " The Chorla Route "

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_rao View Post
Hi to all,
Will drive from Mumbai to Chorla in last week of Sept. Plan to leave Mumbai around 5AM. Request expert inputs on a couple of things:
1. Best route to bypass Belgaum/minimize city trafice there.
There is none. Best way is to ask for Hotel Sankam and mark. Take that road and thats the SH to Chorla via Jombotti. Dont get off that road at all. When in doubt ask for Jambotti.

Quote:
2. Expected time to do the route. I plan a non-stop run.
The way to do it is to make sure you are crossing Kolhapur by 8-9AM. Else you 2-wheeler traffic between Pune/Kolhapur. Then may a 3AM should be good.

Also be aware the roads on Satara bypass are pathetic.

Quote:
3. Best refuel options. I should have an 3/4 empty tank from Mumbai-Chorla. Any good options near Chorla? Or should I fill up in/around Belgaum?
Kolhapur has Koduskar bunk (BP) just after the bypass. Next to Sankam at Belgaum I have seen an IOC, which I am told is good. Not sure though.

Last edited by ampere : 18th September 2013 at 17:05.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 17:56   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_rao View Post
3. Best refuel options. I should have an 3/4 empty tank from Mumbai-Chorla. Any good options near Chorla? Or should I fill up in/around Belgaum?
There are no fuel stations after Belgaum till you reach Sanquelim, so better fill in or before Belgaum.
There is one road which would beat most of the traffic, but the conditions of the road is pathetic: Avoid.
swapnilup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 18:09   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

@ampere

Now, both Petrol and Diesel prices are cheaper in Karnataka than Maharashtra.

Last 2 trips to Pune and I have been regularly filling it up at a BPCL COCO soon after you enter Karnataka from Maharashtra side.

This COCO Is located on the service lane after crossing the KA-Excise/RTO Check post and there is a huge signboard visible from almost 3 kms.

Best to remember this : The first fuel station (HPCL) on the left hand side as soon after you pay Rs 25 at Kognoli Toll booth.

Konduskar as I have seen acts pricey many a times (specially when asked for "Saada" Petrol) and acceptance of Card payment even at 9PM.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 18:55   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
@ampere
Now, both Petrol and Diesel prices are cheaper in Karnataka than Maharashtra.
Thanks Parag. Just outside Kolhapur bypass, toward Pune I saw a huge HP bunk (looked like a COCO. But I dont know). I filled up there. Got good FE out of it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 13:12   #50
BHPian

Thanks to Ampere, Parag, Swapnil. I will fill up at the COCO just after the Kognoli toll, hopefully it is not too crowded. Is it HPCL or BPCL, Parag?
I will only be able to leave at 0500, and hope to get past Pune/Katraj at 0700, have done it many times in the past.. How many hours should it take to Chorla?
TIA
Karthik
Old 11th October 2013, 10:10   #51
BHPian

Have just done Goa-Pune and back, via Chorla Ghat.
As regards road conditions, from Mapusa to the beginning of the Chorla Ghat the road surface is very good, though there are many speedbreaker humps. There is a bad section of about 8 km. This starts at the first checkpost on Goa side until just after the Goa border. Thereafter the surface is great, and one can do 80 kph comfortably. From Belgaum NH 4 has a wonderful surface all the way to Satara, from where some bad patches creep up suddenly, and there are umpteen diversions.
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 14:22   #52
BHPian

Hi I just came across this old thread. Can anyone share information on the present road condition for the below route from Pune to Goa, as I plan to do this drive sometime in Jan 15.

Pune- Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Piranwadi-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-NH17.

I've heard that presently this is a newly laid highway and the shortest one. Also share information on the Pune- Satara stretch. Do I need to go off the highway from Pune at any point of time for any of the BY Passes, or need to keep following this up to Goa.

Also suggest what is the present best road from Pune to Goa.
Old 26th December 2014, 15:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77 View Post
Hi I just came across this old thread. Can anyone share information on the present road condition for the below route from Pune to Goa, as I plan to do this drive sometime in Jan 15.

Pune- Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Piranwadi-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-NH17.

I've heard that presently this is a newly laid highway and the shortest one. Also share information on the Pune- Satara stretch. Do I need to go off the highway from Pune at any point of time for any of the BY Passes, or need to keep following this up to Goa.

Also suggest what is the present best road from Pune to Goa.
You need to keep on the NH4 all the way till Belgaum from Pune.At Belgaum you need to go into the town and navigate to the turn off onto the Chorla road at Piranwadi Cross.

https://goo.gl/maps/PjsvF
Old 26th December 2014, 15:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pune- Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Piranwadi-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-NH17. .
Detailed directions on how to reach the road leading to Chorla from NH4 are given here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3416835

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 16:02   #55
BHPian

Did Pune-Goa-Pune in October first week and tried both the route options
1) Pune - Nipani - Amboli Ghat- Goa
2) Goa- Chorla Ghat- Belgaum - Pune

The second option via Chorla Ghat is the better one of course - Absolutely fantastic road from Belgaum to Goa via Chorla. Very scenic too.

On the other hand usual Nipani- Amboli route was in bad shape. At some stretches on Amboli ghat, the road was almost non existent.

The second option was 20-25 kms longer overall, but worth it completely.

Road from Satara to Kolhapur, if I remember correctly is good overall. Road from Kolhapur to Nipani and further to Belgaum was absolute pleasure. The worst part throughout would be the Pune Satara stretch with the ongoing..(and never ending) 6 laning work. This stretch could be tiring to some extent.
Have a nice trip!
Old 26th December 2014, 16:06   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You need to keep on the NH4 all the way till Belgaum from Pune.At Belgaum you need to go into the town and navigate to the turn off onto the Chorla road at Piranwadi Cross.

https://goo.gl/maps/PjsvF
Thanks ranjitp1 Would be great if you can also share information on the present road conditions for:

Pune to Satara stretch - I heard this is bad in places with traffic.
Belgaum- Chorla Ghat- Goa
Old 26th December 2014, 16:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
The second option was 20-25 kms longer overall, but worth it completely.

Satara stretch with the ongoing..(and never ending) 6 laning work. This stretch could be tiring to some extent.
Have a nice trip!
Thanks a lot, this really helps.
Since I would be driving down from Vadodara to Pune on Day1 , would be staying some place near the express way. Is there a bypass road to be taken from here onwards to Satara, or do I need to go inside Pune city. May be I can avoid the Satara chaos in case I leave early say by 6 am.
Old 26th December 2014, 16:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ranjitp1 Would be great if you can also share information on the present road conditions for:

Pune to Satara stretch - I heard this is bad in places with traffic.
Belgaum- Chorla Ghat- Goa
Roads are overall good,except Pune to Satara some road widening is in progress.Nothing alarming.

Quote:
Thanks a lot, this really helps.
Since I would be driving down from Vadodara to Pune on Day1 , would be staying some place near the express way. Is there a bypass road to be taken from here onwards to Satara, or do I need to go inside Pune city. May be I can avoid the Satara chaos in case I leave early say by 6 am.
If you are staying on the Pune Bypass,you just need to continue on the same road towards Satara.Plenty of hotels on the Pune Bypass after the expressway.Some of the reccomended ones are Sadanand Regency,Ginger,Holiday Inn,VITS
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 16:40   #59

Any one has recent (road condition) updates on the Belgaum - Chorla - Sanquelim - Mapusa route?
Old 14th April 2015, 16:47   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSr View Post
Any one has recent (road condition) updates on the Belgaum - Chorla - Sanquelim - Mapusa route?
Completely good. You just need to crank and drive.

Go through the following threads -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...route-201.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...r-goa-107.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks