Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 14:57   #1
BHPian

Kochi to Mannarkkad

Planning a trip to silent valley. I'm planning to take the below route (please ignore the shoranur part)

Angamaly, Kerala to Mannarkkad, Kerala - Google Maps

Any better routes?
Old 16th September 2011, 16:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kochi to Mannarkkad

Would it not be a better idea to go via Palakkad?
The roads around Shoranur are in a bad shape, I am told.
Old 16th September 2011, 16:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

^^No, via Shorannur would be better, since Trichur-Palakkad is in a bad shape. But instead of taking the Shorannur-Cherplassery route, it would be shorter to take the Ottappalam Mannarkad route

There also is a way of landing at NH213 beyond Mannarkad from Ottappalam, so that you can avoid passing through Mannarkad town. Am not sure of this since I've not traveled this route, so need to check.
Old 16th September 2011, 17:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
^^No, via Shorannur would be better, since Trichur-Palakkad is in a bad shape. But instead of taking the Shorannur-Cherplassery route, it would be shorter to take the Ottappalam Mannarkad route

There also is a way of landing at NH213 beyond Mannarkad from Ottappalam, so that you can avoid passing through Mannarkad town. Am not sure of this since I've not traveled this route, so need to check.
Ottappalam->Ambalappara->Sreekrishnapuram->Chungam(join NH-213 about 7 kms before Mannarkad town on the Perinthalmanna side) would be better among the lot, I guess !
Shorannur-Cherplassery route is reportedly damaged and so are some other roads around Shorannur town.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Ottappalam->Ambalappara->Sreekrishnapuram->Chungam(join NH-213 about 7 kms before Mannarkad town on the Perinthalmanna side) would be better among the lot, I guess !
Shorannur-Cherplassery route is reportedly damaged and so are some other roads around Shorannur town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Planning a trip to silent valley. I'm planning to take the below route (please ignore the shoranur part)

Angamaly, Kerala to Mannarkkad, Kerala - Google Maps

Any better routes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Would it not be a better idea to go via Palakkad?
The roads around Shoranur are in a bad shape, I am told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

I did my regular thrissur-mangalamkunnu drives last weekend and these are my observations:

Thrissur-Shoranur-Kulappully-Ottapalam-Ambalapara-Mangalamkunnu-Sreekrishnapuram- road is in excellent condition.Easily doable in 1.5hrs to 2hrs time

The best route to take from Kochi would be this:

Chalakudy, Kerala to Mannarkkad, Kerala - Google Maps

Hey Ajith,

This route totally avoids the gates at wadakkancheri as well.this is a "gate-less" route between shoranur and thrissur.i drove these routes last week and roads are surprisingly outstanding
Old 17th September 2011, 22:48   #6
BHPian

Did the route today . Roads between Ottappalam and Mannarkad is in Ok condition. Potholes (small) are present here and there . Road was worst around Mannarkkad town
Old 29th December 2011, 09:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Did the route today . Roads between Ottappalam and Mannarkad is in Ok condition. Potholes (small) are present here and there . Road was worst around Mannarkkad town
What is the total distance from Kochi to Silent Valley? I am planning a trip to Silent Valley. Can we do it in one day? We are planning to take Thrissur-Shornur-Ottappalam route.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
What is the total distance from Kochi to Silent Valley? I am planning a trip to Silent Valley. Can we do it in one day? We are planning to take Thrissur-Shornur-Ottappalam route.
Easily doable in a single day.

Kochi-Thrissur: 1hour
Thrissur-Ottapalam: 1.5hours
Otp-Mannarkad: 1.5hr
Mannarkad-SV: 1HR

Overall with ample stops and breaks IMO the route should be done in around 5hours time.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 12:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
We left around 5.30 AM from kochi and reached silent valley by around 10.15 AM. So you can easily do a silent valley trip in 1 day
Soccerfan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks