Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 17:30   #16
BHPian

Re: The Trip Has Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
It's going to be strictly NH-4 all along for the reason of safety of the car!

Thank you.
Ananth, there is so much to explore in TN, so don't just stick to NH4. As I said before, almost all aterial and sub-aterials roads through out the state are extremely well laid out. Just make sure you double check your directions if you are seeking them on the way.

Tip - Even if your destination is a small town, you will have a well laid out road to reach the place. If you find broken roads, then it means you are in the wrong direction or in some unused connecting roads, stop the car and check for directions again.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 27th September 2011 at 17:31.
Old 27th September 2011, 17:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great update on Almatti/Badami section.
Some notes on your Bangalore-Chennai Sector.

1. NH4 is not called Hosur Road. Its NH7.
2. From Bangalore there are 2 options to Chennai. NH4 is called Old Madras Road.
Old because the new and more popular road is NH7/NH46. You go on NH7 till Krishnagiri and then take NH46 which meets NH4 at Walajapet.
3. So GQ is Chennai-Walajapet-Krishnagiri-Hosur.
4. On the way back, when you are coming via "Hosur" Road (or NH7) from Krishnagiri towards Bangalore, you should take the NICE road to Bypass Bangalore.
5. Here is a thread on bypassing Bangalore:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

Hope this helps.
Hi ampere,

You must be wondering why I thanked you for clearing confusion about these basic but crisp and essential details about BLR- Chennai route!!

Well, some day we'll be driving on that route during our long family road trip to south part II! Whole east-coast and Kerala is left to be explored by road.

BTW, nice account of your onward trip anandpadhye.
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 18:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hi ampere,

You must be wondering why I thanked you for clearing confusion about these basic but crisp and essential details about BLR- Chennai route!!

Well, some day we'll be driving on that route during our long family road trip to south part II! Whole east-coast and Kerala is left to be explored by road.

Glad I could be of help.
So you are back on the road after a long and that too for a long journey! All the best.
Old 27th September 2011, 19:43   #19
BHPian

Re: What to see in Tamilnadu (and Karnataka on the way)?

Quote:
Any good activity/moderate adventure sports/trekking/water-sports opportunities in Tamilnadu?
I have visited Pulicat Lake last weekend and I felt very happy. You will get boat for 500/- and they will take you to three places near to the lake

1. Beach (backwater stream can be seen here)
2. Island (I have not ventured into this as I was getting late)
3. Birds (Time constraint again so could not visit this too)

From Ponneri, this lake is somewhere around 20 KMS and the road is in a moderate condition and doable.

From Chennai, you need to catch the GQ and take right Tachur to go to Ponneri.

Hope this helps you!

Thanks,
Ravi
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 11:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great update on Almatti/Badami section.
Thanks.

Quote:
Some notes on your Bangalore-Chennai Sector.

1. NH4 is not called Hosur Road. Its NH7.
2. From Bangalore there are 2 options to Chennai. NH4 is called Old Madras Road.
Old because the new and more popular road is NH7/NH46. You go on NH7 till Krishnagiri and then take NH46 which meets NH4 at Walajapet.
3. So GQ is Chennai-Walajapet-Krishnagiri-Hosur.
4. On the way back, when you are coming via "Hosur" Road (or NH7) from Krishnagiri towards Bangalore, you should take the NICE road to Bypass Bangalore.
5. Here is a thread on bypassing Bangalore:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

Hope this helps.
Thank you. This is a very good info. So looks like we got what we asked for (i.e. NH4, ha ha ha).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Ananth, there is so much to explore in TN, so don't just stick to NH4. As I said before, almost all aterial and sub-aterials roads through out the state are extremely well laid out. Just make sure you double check your directions if you are seeking them on the way.

Tip - Even if your destination is a small town, you will have a well laid out road to reach the place. If you find broken roads, then it means you are in the wrong direction or in some unused connecting roads, stop the car and check for directions again.
Yes, I believe so. BTW, I looked up google maps. To got to SRM from Kanchipuram, we should have continued on SH-58 after Walajabad and then merge on NH-45, instead we turned left at Walajabad onto SH-120 then onto SH-48, turned right at Organdam junction on the Sriperumbadur - Redhills road and then on to NH-45. This whole SH-120, SH-48, Redhills road is a big mess. Do not go there for at least another year!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
I have visited Pulicat Lake last weekend and I felt very happy. You will get boat for 500/- and they will take you to three places near to the lake

1. Beach (backwater stream can be seen here)
2. Island (I have not ventured into this as I was getting late)
3. Birds (Time constraint again so could not visit this too)

From Ponneri, this lake is somewhere around 20 KMS and the road is in a moderate condition and doable.

From Chennai, you need to catch the GQ and take right Tachur to go to Ponneri.

Hope this helps you!

Thanks,
Ravi
Thanks Ravi, this is good input, will see if we can cover this place.

Cheers!
Old 28th September 2011, 12:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
We wated to go to my cousin who lives in Valanchary (SRM puram near Tambaram) so took the NH4 exit to Kanchipuram and asked for GST Road/Cangalpat/Tambram).
Did you mean Guduvanchery (L&T Estancia) ? Maybe next time you could ask the Chennai BHpian's for queries to reach there from NH4. The road you took is usually bad. Also, chennai gets its share of rains at this time of the year making the roads even worse.
If you are going to start from there to Bangalore, please use the Chennai Byepass road (if you are starting in off peak hours ) or you could use the Tambaram Darkas Road, SH113 to reach Sri Perambadur and then continue on to NH4 home bound.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Did you mean Guduvanchery (L&T Estancia) ?

If you are going to start from there to Bangalore, please use the Chennai Byepass road (if you are starting in off peak hours ) or you could use the Tambaram Darkas Road, SH113 to reach Sri Perambadur and then continue on to NH4 home bound.

Yes, perfeact. It's L&T Estancia!

Thanks for the return route suggestion.

BTW,
Any idea how good the Dolphin City is?
I am reading on the net that Dolphins have died but there are sea lions and the show is good. But unable to get the phone numbers to confirm if this place is really operational today/tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 28th September 2011, 14:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I am reading on the net that Dolphins have died but there are sea lions and the show is good. But unable to get the phone numbers to confirm if this place is really operational today/tomorrow.
Thanks!
The Dolphins died atleast 10 years back. Am not sure if they still have the shows running. Even if they did I am sure they are not good as I have not heard about it recently. Would recommend visit to Crocodile bank (http://www.madrascrocodilebank.org) instead along with Mahabalipuram. Or you could visit the Vandalur zoo (just 5 kms from where you stay).

Last edited by DWind : 28th September 2011 at 14:12.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:22   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would recommend visit to Crocodile bank (Madras Crocodile Bank Trust and Centre for Herpetology) instead along with Mahabalipuram. Or you could visit the Vandalur zoo (just 5 kms from where you stay).
Thanks. And how is the Birla Planetarium?
I have one more hour to surf the internet and find places before we head out - It's very very hot here in Chennai (I can manage but others can not).

Thanks!
Old 28th September 2011, 14:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...BTW, the trip has started and thanks to inputs from all of you...
Thanks for the running updates, anandpadhye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
b) Murugan idli hotel for Idlis and chicken curry.

AFAIK, they dont serve chicken curry in the Murugan Idli Shop outlets (if you are referring to the famous chain of pure veg hotels)

Quote:
Thanks. And how is the Birla Planetarium?
I have one more hour to surf the internet and find places before we head out - It's very very hot here in Chennai (I can manage but others can not).

Thanks!
Birla planetarium is definitely worth a visit, esp if you have kids along with you.
You can also check out the Anna Centenary library near to and opposite the Birla planetarium, in Kotturpuram.

http://www.annacentenarylibrary.blogspot.com/

And yes, today is very hot and humid here ! Hope there is some rain in the evening to cool things down a bit.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 28th September 2011 at 14:31.
Old 28th September 2011, 15:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
AFAIK, they dont serve chicken curry in the Murugan Idli Shop outlets (if you are referring to the famous chain of pure veg hotels)
Wish they serve Idlis with Chicken curry!! Not many in Chennai serve it. Maybe we can get it in the city famous for idlis - Madurai.
Old 28th September 2011, 15:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Wish they serve Idlis with Chicken curry!! Not many in Chennai serve it. Maybe we can get it in the city famous for idlis - Madurai.
I think idly is served with chicken curry in Goundar style hotel.. Vague memories of having it when I last traveled to Salem & Madurai.

Dosa & chicken curry is served in kerala style hotels in Chennai.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:47   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, we visited the Crocodile bank. It was very nice.

The Dolphin City has vanished - could not locate it at all and some people on the road told us the place closed down long time ago...

We are now setting off to Pondicherry. Can someone recommend good budget hotel in Pondicherry?

Also, from Pondicherry we will head back and need to stay in Bangalore overnight. Please recommend budget hotels in Bangalore with car park.
Old 29th September 2011, 10:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK, we visited the Crocodile bank. It was very nice.

The Dolphin City has vanished - could not locate it at all and some people on the road told us the place closed down long time ago...

We are now setting off to Pondicherry. Can someone recommend good budget hotel in Pondicherry?

Also, from Pondicherry we will head back and need to stay in Bangalore overnight. Please recommend budget hotels in Bangalore with car park.
For a good place in Bangalore:
Hotel Keys. Right on the NH7 just after NICE road exit.
Keys Hotel Bengaluru. Bengaluru hotels. Rates from INR2100

Keys Hotel Bengaluru Hosur Road, Bengaluru, Karnataka - Google Maps
Old 29th September 2011, 22:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For a good place in Bangalore:
Hotel Keys. Right on the NH7 just after NICE road exit.
Keys Hotel Bengaluru. Bengaluru hotels. Rates from INR2100

Keys Hotel Bengaluru Hosur Road, Bengaluru, Karnataka - Google Maps
Thanks.
Will check this out.

BTW, we postponed going to pondicherry to tomorrow and spent the whole day roaming around in Chennai as weather was good today.

Took the local train from Potheri to Chennai Beach station - felt good to find that Chennai has a rich suburban local train network and is actually used by people. The trains seem to be a bit slow - less on torque - acceleration is much lesser than that of the Mumbai trains. "Chennai Beach" is a misnomer - it's the last station on one of the lines and actually leads to the docks - there is no beach there. For the beach one must get down 3/4 stations earlier. I saw long distance trains in the Chennai Park station, and thought that's the "Mumbai Central" of Chennai and then saw another station "Chennai Central" on another line (may be the VT or CST of Chennai?). Good to see similar things - of course the stations are not as grand as the ones in Mumbai.

The bus network is also amazing - the routes have a little complex nomenclature - numbers preceded or appended by alphabets, e.g. 21, 21G, 23C, 500B, etc. And people really refer to the routes using these numbers - enjoyed asking around for the routes and interacting with people. Everybody was very friendly and helpful, not a single annoying incident. They made an attempt to communicate in Hindi/English and I made an attempt to speak a couple of Tamil words. It was very comforting.

Roamed aound the Anna university campus - it's huge and green, the library building is awesome - did not have time to go inside. Visited the planetarium and attended the show - here I must say the Worli Planetarium in Mumbai is miles ahead of this one - both in technology as well as content.

All in all a very good visit to Chennai and tomorrow morning, it's really time to say good bye to Chennai for now and go to Pondicherry.

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 29th September 2011 at 22:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks