Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 18:27   #1
BHPian

Surat to Abu Road (Via Ahmedabad)

Hello!
I am going to Abu Road tomorrow morning from Surat, taking NH 8 and NE 1 until Ahmedabad. Now there are two routes from Ahmedabad to Abu Road - one of them going through Himmatnagar and the other through Mehsana and Palanpur.

Could someone here suggest me the best possible route, in terms of shortest time?

Thanks.
Old 7th October 2011, 19:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Surat to Abu Road (Via Ahmedabad)

Take the Mehsana-Palanpur road. Its a wide, sweeping road with beautiful surface (till the Rajasthan border ). AFAIK its slightly longer, but you'll make up time through sheer speed.

The first time I drove this road was in 2008, at night, in pouring rain (used stay in Ahmedabad then), and the condition of the road gave me confidence to keep pushing the car. Did another trip later, in the day and much better weather.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 20:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
Hello!
I am going to Abu Road tomorrow morning from Surat, taking NH 8 and NE 1 until Ahmedabad. Now there are two routes from Ahmedabad to Abu Road - one of them going through Himmatnagar and the other through Mehsana and Palanpur.

Could someone here suggest me the best possible route, in terms of shortest time?

Thanks.
Had been to Mt Abu a year back from Ahmedabad. On the to journey, had opted for the route Ahmedabad - Himmatnagar - Idar - Khedambrahma - Ambaji - Abu road - Mt. Abu.

Return was Mt. Abu - Abu road - Palanpur - Sidhpur - Mehsana - Adalaj - Ahmedabad.

In terms of time the second route is far far quicker. Most of the time you'll have expressway quality 4+ lane roads. As for the former route, once you cross Himmatnagar, it's a 2 lane road all the way.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th October 2011 at 21:00.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 21:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Had been to Mt Abu a year back from Ahmedabad. On the to journey, had opted for the route Ahmedabad - Himmatnagar - Idar - Khedambrahma - Ambaji - Abu road - Mt. Abu.

Return was Mt. Abu - Abu road - Palanpur - Sidhpur - Mehsana - Adalaj - Ahmedabad.

In terms of time the second route is far far quicker. Most of the time you'll have expressway quality 4+ lane roads. As for the former route, once you cross Himmatnagar, it's a 2 lane road all the way.
Thank you both of you.

Is the Himmatnagar route more scenic, by any chance?
Old 7th October 2011, 22:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
Thank you both of you.

Is the Himmatnagar route more scenic, by any chance?
Scenic - to an extent yes. The stretch between Khedambrahma & Abu Road goes through hills; that part is quite beautiful.
But that alone is not worth taking this route (IMO), unless visiting the Ambaji temple is of importance to you.
Old 7th October 2011, 23:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Palanpur mehsana is the quickest and the better of the two options

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks