Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 12:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Burma - Thailand - Route Suggestions

Hi...I have started planning a road trip to Thailand and came across your post here....

I stay in Bangalore and wanted to have a word with you on this topic....

Let me know

Regards
Old 19th September 2015, 18:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
The road network is not a problem to goto Myanmar and Thailand. The main problem is that the Myanmar government doesnt encourage tourists with self drive vehicles and hence imposes strict regulations. Apart from the long procedures to get the visa, you need to
* accommodate 3 adults in your vehicle during your entire trip though Myanmar (A government representative, a guide, a person from tour agency)
* you need to bear their boarding and lodging expenses
* you need strictly follow the itinerary you have provided during the VISA application.

You need at least 5 weeks to goto Thailand and come back. If you have only 3 weeks, then you can target for a trip to Mandalay.

Here are some references that can provide answers to other questions.
1. Last year bhpian "Secretariat" visited noth east and also entered tamu in myanmar. He has done some homework on the process to get into Myanmar. Refer to this travelogue for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3669012

2. Suresh Joseph, an avid traveler from Kerala, completed his solo "South East Asian Odyssey" this May. He drove from Kochi to Singapore through Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Combodia, Malaysia and back. You can get lot more details from his travelogue.
http://www.railwaymansj.blogspot.in/
https://www.facebook.com/RecordDrive

3. Overdrive magazine "meet the neighbors" drive to Myanmar
https://Youtu.be/_5TdyzhrSbA

HTH
Thanks a ton. I am travelling and still deep diving into the info provided. There are few questions already but will do a thorough compilation and share back.

Bureaucratic obstacles is one however i do dread the possibility of potential breakdown of vehicle especially while outside India in an Indian vehicle.
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Hi...I have started planning a road trip to Thailand and came across your post here....

I stay in Bangalore and wanted to have a word with you on this topic....

Let me know

Regards
Any further update in the plan on this drive? I am interested in doing this drive as well.
Old 9th May 2016, 07:54   #19

re: Bangkok by road - Possible?

Hi guys, I am planning a trip from Pune to Thailand in Nov/Dec 2016. Please message if anyone interested/can help provide more inputs.

We will travel through Moreh/Tamu and then cross Myanmar and then enter Thailand through Mae sot.

Return leg- Same route, perhaps a detour from West Bengal to ECR just to see a different terrain.

Regards,
Abhishek.
Old 12th May 2016, 12:41   #20
BHPian

Dear abhi8684

Do let us know how many people are traveling with you with car details and exact dates. I reside in Mumbai and would love to be part of this expedition; however will be free from 20.12.2016 onwards.

There a few travelogues which are Bhutan bound; which is another destination I am exploring to drive early next year [if I cant join you for this Bangkok drive in December ]

Havent seen any update from HVKumar on this route, which can mean that he hasnt driven there so far. He can be of great help when it comes to routes, terrains, local government machinery etc.

Nonetheless, do let us know your final plans if you have finalised.

Regards
Salil
Old 12th May 2016, 13:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi8684 View Post
Hi guys, I am planning a trip from Pune to Thailand in Nov/Dec 2016. Please message if anyone interested/can help provide more inputs.

We will travel through Moreh/Tamu and then cross Myanmar and then enter Thailand through Mae sot.

Return leg- Same route, perhaps a detour from West Bengal to ECR just to see a different terrain.

Regards,
Abhishek.
Hello, I will be interested as long as we can be back in Goa for 29 Dec (a friends marriage to attend).

H
Old 13th May 2016, 06:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Dear abhi8684

Do let us know how many people are traveling with you with car details and exact dates. I reside in Mumbai and would love to be part of this expedition; however will be free from 20.12.2016 onwards.

There a few travelogues which are Bhutan bound; which is another destination I am exploring to drive early next year [if I cant join you for this Bangkok drive in December ]

Havent seen any update from HVKumar on this route, which can mean that he hasnt driven there so far. He can be of great help when it comes to routes, terrains, local government machinery etc.

Nonetheless, do let us know your final plans if you have finalised.

Regards
Salil
Thanks SailDrive for your interest.

As of now, we are 4 members and I have my Duster AWD to accompany us.
The dates planned for now are 26th Nov, 2016 to 18th Dec, 2016. And yes, I am looking for all possible help on the process and documentation on this route as it seems to be very tough and not many people have tried it.
Old 13th May 2016, 06:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Hello, I will be interested as long as we can be back in Goa for 29 Dec (a friends marriage to attend).
Thanks KD..!!

Yes, as per current plan, we will be back by 18th Dec, 2016. But, unfortunately, we have hit a roadblock in the form of bank guarantee for getting Carnet document which is supposed to be mandatory document for taking your Indian registered vehicle outside India.

Anyway, I am still looking for official confirmation on the process.

Could you please let me know if you will be travelling by your vehicle (and which vehicle) if at all this becomes a reality?

Regards,
Abhi
Old 13th May 2016, 10:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks KD..!!

Could you please let me know if you will be travelling by your vehicle (and which vehicle) if at all this becomes a reality?

Regards,
Abhi

Yes own vehicle. The "which" is being worked on now (test drives ongoing)
Old 30th June 2016, 15:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks KD..!!

Yes, as per current plan, we will be back by 18th Dec, 2016. But, unfortunately, we have hit a roadblock in the form of bank guarantee for getting Carnet document which is supposed to be mandatory document for taking your Indian registered vehicle outside India.

Regards,
Abhi
Any update on this? Is the plan still on?
Old 18th August 2016, 05:54   #26

Planning an Overland Road Trip

It is and always will be a dream drive for any BHP-ian to drive overland , cross-borders , venturing on an International Road Trip.
I have been dreaming of this trip for a very long time but could not transfer it to reality until now.
Finally I have Fixed the traveling dates for the trip August 2017.
I know there is still a year left, but since I am traveling with just My Car and Wife, I really prefer to plan very well in advance till the last details and make sure not to leave any stones unturned.
I created this post as my First Step of planning "Information Collection"

So I request all BHP-ians to pool in and share every bit of information available from their experience, knowledge and keep this post well informative and updated also to help out other BHP-ians in planning their trip.
  • Sharing some collective info from various individuals and groups (All credits to them)
1. Contacted "Adventures Overland" seeking details of the services they provide for an overland trip.
Quoting and Unquoting the mail as replied back to me.

"QUOTE"
Dear Mr. Majumder,
Greetings from Adventures Overland!

Thank you for showing interest in our trips and we will be glad to help you plan your Cross Country Road Trip.

In case you wish to do the cross country trip to Thailand / UK individually or with your own group then we can help you in that as well.
To help us draft your itinerary, kindly provide us with the following details:
- No. of people?
- Time of travel, any specific date?
- Duration of travel (number of days).
- Starting destination of travel.
- Self Drive or Chauffeur driven.
- Type of accommodation (ranging from 3 star to 5 star categories)
- Any particular itinerary or preferences in mind or places you would like to visit
- Estimate budget -(As cross border trips are very expensive so would request to share with us a tentative budget in mind)

Once you send us this details we will start working on the routing and itinerary.
We would also like to inform you that we can assist you in the following areas:

1. We can take care for your Myanmar permits, accommodation, route planning
2. We can take care for your Thailand permits, accommodation, route planning
3. Help you plan your route for the entire tour.
4. Will help you process your Carnet
5. We can assist you in working out the average cost of the trip but those will be estimates of course.
6. We can put you in touch with some shipping companies.

On the whole, we can sit with you and explain the minute details of the journey, share our experiences of the terrain and explain you to what to expect on a journey like this.

For the above, we will charge a Consultation Fee of Rs 1 Lac.

You will have to transfer us the consultation fee first to help us start working on your journey.

Hope you find this in order. Please feel free to contact us for any query.
Best Regards,
Prachur Tayal
Travel & Sales Consultant
"UNQUOTE"

Here are the further contact details :
Adventures Overland
930B, 9th Floor, Spaze IT Tech Park
Sohna Road, Gurgaon
Haryana - 122001
India

Work: +91 124 4046316
Mobile: +91 9999981128
Email: prachur@adventuresoverland.com
Web: www.AdventuresOverland.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AdventuresOverland

Since I am going to travel just with my wife (Actually didn't find anyone else crazy enough for this venture) 1L consultation fees seemed to be steep for me.
But this definitely sounds like a sweet deal if you are traveling in a group. Everything will be taken care by the experts and you just drive.

2. Procured an Estimated Route plan from an experienced traveler Mr. Biswas who has driven along this route . As per his calculations, the Fuel Cost came to around 26000INR, which was mainly due to the Low fuel price once you exit India.
The same Waypoints can be plotted on the google maps and the route gets plotted out.
Now that the Route has been plotted out, next we have to follow the Highlighted Points from the quoted mail and further research and inputs are required henceforth.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangkok by road - Possible?-itenary-kolbkk-rohit.jpg  

rohit_navigator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 13:13   #27
r.K
BHPian

Re: Bangkok by road - Possible?

Bumping this old thread.

How relevant are the above conditions today, especially in a post-corona world? I am thinking for a road trip next year (2021): Assam - Burma - Thailand and back preferably by a motorcycle.

Bangalore to Gauhati by flight.
Gauwahti - Manupur - Mandalay - Yangon - Bangok

and come back the same way.

Has anyone done this before? It is currently 2 of us, but would love to go as a big group.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks