Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 08:50   #1
BHPian

Need advice driving from Bandhavgarh national park to Konark

Hi,

I am planning a road trip in dec, travelling from bangalore to MP (covering Khajuraho and then a few days in Bandhavgarh park). I am a bit confused in planning a return trip as I dont want to come back via same route. We've been on Mum-pune-belgaum route multiple times so family is againt taking that route back home.

I was trying to see if we can manage visiting Konark, Puri, and then continue towards bangalore via AP (vizag). I got some very useful info for the route from Konark to bangalore in other threads. So far, I have not been able to figure out the best route and current road conditions from bandhavgarh to konark. Google maps throws the route as NH78 (via korba) and then onto NH42 (near Sambalpur).

Has anyone tried this route recently? Can you suggest any other route if the above is not advised? Since it will be myself, my wife and my daughter, I may have to break this journey by taking a night halt somewhere in between, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Old 1st November 2011, 09:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice driving from Bandhavgarh national park to Konark

Travelling through the interior routes through CG is not advised. Therefore, the best routes would be either of the two:

- Bandhavgarh-Shahdol-Ambkapur-Jashpur-Gumla-Ranchi-Ramgarh-Chas-Dhanbad-Asansol-Durgapur-Panagad-Calcutta-Kharagpur-Bhubaneswar-KOnarak.

Problem with the above route is narrow (and often bad) roads through North CG, absolutely no facilities en route and then unsafe stretches between Gumla & Ranchi. Rest is OK except that you will face heavy traffic between Asansol & Panagad. Calcutta itself is bypassed.

- Bandhavgarh-Umara-Dindori-Bichia-Chilpi-Raipur-Sambalpur-Keonjhar-Kharagpur

You will go through the Kanha forest region to Raipur - no problems so far. But once you enter OR, you will face terrible roads after Jashipur and even worse on the OR-JH-WB area. From Jamsola, you also have the option of taking NH5 via Baripada to Baleswar instead of going all the way to Kharagpur. Problems with NH6 are poor facilities and heavy truck traffic.

Overall, I think it is a bad idea to cover Konarak during this trip.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 10:37   #3
BHPian

HVK,

Thanks for the info. I think I will go with your suggestion and plan a separate trip to Konark/Puri..

thanks a ton for the quick response..
Old 1st November 2011, 10:50   #4

i would also like to know what can be the best possible route to reach Bandhavgarh from Mumbai. I am planning to visit this month
Old 7th November 2011, 22:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Travelling through the interior routes through CG is not advised. Therefore, the best routes would be either of the two:

- Bandhavgarh-Shahdol-Ambkapur-Jashpur-Gumla-Ranchi-Ramgarh-Chas-Dhanbad-Asansol-Durgapur-Panagad-Calcutta-Kharagpur-Bhubaneswar-KOnarak.

Problem with the above route is narrow (and often bad) roads through North CG, absolutely no facilities en route and then unsafe stretches between Gumla & Ranchi. Rest is OK except that you will face heavy traffic between Asansol & Panagad. Calcutta itself is bypassed.

- Bandhavgarh-Umara-Dindori-Bichia-Chilpi-Raipur-Sambalpur-Keonjhar-Kharagpur

You will go through the Kanha forest region to Raipur - no problems so far. But once you enter OR, you will face terrible roads after Jashipur and even worse on the OR-JH-WB area. From Jamsola, you also have the option of taking NH5 via Baripada to Baleswar instead of going all the way to Kharagpur. Problems with NH6 are poor facilities and heavy truck traffic.

Overall, I think it is a bad idea to cover Konarak during this trip.
Hi HVK ji,

Do you think for the journey from blr to bandhavgarh (via hyd, nagpur, jabalpur), there is any section which is naxal-prone or potentially dangerous.
I dont intend to drive during the night , btw.

Thanks
Saket
Old 7th November 2011, 22:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Hi HVK ji,

Do you think for the journey from blr to bandhavgarh (via hyd, nagpur, jabalpur), there is any section which is naxal-prone or potentially dangerous.
I dont intend to drive during the night , btw.

Thanks
Saket
Don't worry, No safety issues on this route due to Naxals.

Most Viewed