Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 10:34   #1
BHPian

Sikkim Ahoy!

Hi Guys...
Northeast is on the mind now (some time in late Feb / March) for around 16 days....some queries.

1) Best possible route to reach Darjeeling from Mumbai (2 night halts)
- My plan is to halt at Nagpur and Varanasi

2) Initial plan is Darjeeling - Pelling - Gangtok (park car at Gangtok and take a guided tour for 3-4 days and return to Gangtok to pick up the car)

3) Return journey halts would be at through Malda - Kolkata (2 nights) - Raipur - Chandrapur (halt at Tadoba for a couple of days) - Aurangabad - Mumbai

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Nikhil.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Sikkim Ahoy!

Note from Team-BHP Support : We do NOT permit bumping up your own query. Such posts are classified as SPAM. Please do NOT inconvenience other users by bumping up your own posts.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2011 at 17:36.
nix1976in is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th November 2011, 12:02   #3
BHPian

Just helping you out with what little info i have.
The stretch from Kolkata to Siliguri is said to be in very very bad state. Reading what others have written on this forum, they say its not possible or recommended to try to do Kolkata to Siliguri in one day driving during the day time.

"Nowadays, the recommended route is Asansol-Dumka-Bhagalpur-Kagariya-Purnea-Dalkola. Roads are apparently god throughout and the best alternative for those from Cal going to Siliguri. No safety issues also, I am told, but you are advised to travel by day."

The above statement was made by our famous traveller member HV kumar in the below thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...queries-2.html

The Main highway, NH55 to Darjeeling from siliguri is closed due to landslides and wont be open for at least a year.

There are 3 ways to go to Darjeeling Besides NH55.

1) Rohini Rd which will take you to Kurseong on the way to Darjeeling. This road has been closed off since 2 days ago to be repaired. it will be closed for a month. So since you are travelling in Feb/march i think this is the best road for you to take. Most places are wide enough for 2 small cars to pass, but there are some places that are very narrow and very steep. So try and be in the right gear before attempting a steep section. Distance 72-75 kms to darjeeling, travel time 2.5-3.5 hrs from Siliguri.

2)Pankhabari road is a very steep road with atleast a dozen hairpin bends and is very narrow. I would advise you to avoid this road if possible. This road too will take you to Kurseong on the way to Darjeeling. 70-73kms to darjeeling, Travel time 2.5-3.5 hrs from Siliguri.

3) Mirik route. This is a slightly longer route and a very scenic route. the roads are quite wide and ok gradient. The road condition is quite good compared to the other two mentioned and the added bonus of this route is you get to see an added place of Mirik which is famous for its Lake (Pls do a google search to get more info and pics). So if you have time on your hands then this is recommended. Total distance is 105 kms to darjeeling and you will reach Ghoom on the way to Darjeeling. Total travel time of approx 4-4.5 hrs from Siliguri.

Just a question, from darjeeling how are u planning to go to Pilling? Via rangpo or via Jorethang?

Last edited by amrisharm : 9th November 2011 at 12:06.
Old 9th November 2011, 13:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Northeast is on the mind now...
2) Initial plan is Darjeeling - Pelling - Gangtok (park car at Gangtok and take a guided tour for 3-4 days and return to Gangtok to pick up the car)

3) Return journey halts would be at through Malda - Kolkata (2 nights)...
If you're driving all the way to Sikkim, why park the car in Gangtok and hire a separate car / guide? Enough travelogs here to guide you, I'm sure!

PM fellow member 1100D - he's been to Sikkim and back last month, and would be aware of current road conditions etc.

Malda - Kolkata is reported by various people to be in horrible condition now - hope it gets better by Feb-March.
Old 9th November 2011, 17:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Just a question, from darjeeling how are u planning to go to Pilling? Via rangpo or via Jorethang?
Initial plan is to go through Jorethang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If you're driving all the way to Sikkim, why park the car in Gangtok and hire a separate car / guide?
Well...North sikkim would be snowbound in late March (or so I am hoping) and also am told that permits would be easier to obtain if we hire a local taxi. So the initial plan is to take a taxi to tour the state.

Do you think the planned ciruit is doable?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks