Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 12:33   #1
BHPian

Pune to Rameshwaram travel plan help needed

Hello All,
In December last week, I am planning a Trip with My Family from Pune to Rameshwaram.
I need to know if i can cover some good places on the way or around rameshwaram.

Other ideas are also welcome as holy places.
Old 10th November 2011, 14:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Pune to Rameshwaram travel plan help needed

Madurai For sure. Also if time permits, do the following on the way back.

Madurai... to Trichy.... Visit Sri rangam.
Trichy to Tanjore.... Visit Brihadeeswara temple..
From Tanjore in a radius of approx 50 kms, you have got 9 temples dedicated to the Navgrahas.

Not to miss are Sani temple at Thirunallar, and Vytheeswaran kovil just after Myladumthurai. At vytheeswaran, it is believed Lord Shiva appears in the form of physician. From Vytheeswaran, another 40 Kms, is chidambaram. The very famous temple is worth a visit. From Chidambaram, another 70 Kms is pondycherry to unwind and chill for a day. From Pondy you can drive back to Pune..
vu2pmc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 15:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think you should cover the big ones.

Pune-Trichy/Tanjore
Trichy-Rameshwaram
Rameshwaram-KK
KK-Madurai
Madurai-Pune.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 16:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Maybe a drive plan would be as follows:

Pune-Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal (temple)-Karur-Dindigul-Madurai (temple)-Rameswaram (temple)-Dhanushkodi-Rameswaram-Tondi-Nagapattinam-Karaikal/Tirunallar-Vaitheeswarankoil (temple)-Chidambaram (temple)-Mayiladuthurai-KUmbakonam (lots of temples/Navgraha circuit)-Thanjavur (temple)-Trichy-Perambalur-Ulundurpet-Thirukoyilur-Tiruvannamalai (temple)-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Bangalore-Pune
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 16:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Hello All,
In December last week, I am planning a Trip with My Family from Pune to Rameshwaram.
I need to know if i can cover some good places on the way or around rameshwaram.

Other ideas are also welcome as holy places.
- How are you planning to go to Rameshwaram? Are you planning to drive or going to opt for Train/Air travel?

- How many days have you planned for the trip?
Old 10th November 2011, 16:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Madurai For sure. Also if time permits, do the following on the way back.

Madurai... to Trichy.... Visit Sri rangam.
Trichy to Tanjore.... Visit Brihadeeswara temple..
From Tanjore in a radius of approx 50 kms, you have got 9 temples dedicated to the Navgrahas.

Not to miss are Sani temple at Thirunallar, and Vytheeswaran kovil just after Myladumthurai. At vytheeswaran, it is believed Lord Shiva appears in the form of physician. From Vytheeswaran, another 40 Kms, is chidambaram. The very famous temple is worth a visit. From Chidambaram, another 70 Kms is pondycherry to unwind and chill for a day. From Pondy you can drive back to Pune..
Good to know that i have places to visit in between. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think you should cover the big ones.

Pune-Trichy/Tanjore
Trichy-Rameshwaram
Rameshwaram-KK
KK-Madurai
Madurai-Pune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Maybe a drive plan would be as follows:

Pune-Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal (temple)-Karur-Dindigul-Madurai (temple)-Rameswaram (temple)-Dhanushkodi-Rameswaram-Tondi-Nagapattinam-Karaikal/Tirunallar-Vaitheeswarankoil (temple)-Chidambaram (temple)-Mayiladuthurai-KUmbakonam (lots of temples/Navgraha circuit)-Thanjavur (temple)-Trichy-Perambalur-Ulundurpet-Thirukoyilur-Tiruvannamalai (temple)-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Bangalore-Pune
Lots of things to cover i suppose. i never had idea about most of the places. Need to go in detail and write down in my Diary for better use during travel. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
- How are you planning to go to Rameshwaram? Are you planning to drive or going to opt for Train/Air travel?

- How many days have you planned for the trip?
I will be traveling by my Scorpio. Days are bit on tighter side but 4 days i am planning, might extend if are not enough.
Old 10th November 2011, 16:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

I really doubt whether you would be able to cover many places. If you can stretch your holidays, make it 6-7 days and you can cover most of the places given by hvkumar.

If you want to stick to 4 days,

Pune-Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Trichy(Temple)-Pudukottai-Pillayarpatti(Temple)-Karaikudi-Ramanathapuram-Rameshwaram(Temple)-Madurai(Temple)-Salem-Bangalore-Pune.
Old 10th November 2011, 17:10   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Remember, temples in TN have a lot of time restrictions. Add to it, when you go, it is the Tamil month of Marghazhi, during which the temples open earlier and close earlier in the day only to reopen in the evening.

Hence covering too many temples on a 4 day trip in which 2 days would go in travel needs to be clearly planned out with what time you are reaching where and which temple you can cover.

I'd ideally state that have couple of temples or max 3 to visit. Brihadeeshwara at Tanjore, Meenakshi temple and Madurai and Rameshwaram temple are three that are high on the merit list. Pillaiyarpatti can be made enroute to Brihadeeshwara. Further to Meenakshi temple and the other's mentioned by people here, there's also Pazhamudhirsolai and Thirupparankundram near Madurai which are one of the 6 holiest places of Subramanya/ Karthikeya in TN.
Ideally, the way to look at this is to start early from Pune and reach Trichy and stay there for the night. Early mornings are best to visit temples in TN during this month followed by late evenings.
Second morning you can leave early and cover Brihadeeshwara temple (start with Srirangam temple if you are interested to catch up with the Marghazhi bhajans and then proceed to Brihadeeshwara). Pillayarpatti may be roped in, but do keep a watch on the clock. Normally temple closes at 12 noon, but due to early opening, they may close an hour or 30 mins earlier.

Then proceed to Rameshwaram from there and finish the temple there in the evening of second day and stay the night.
You may start early in the morning to go over to Madurai to cover Meenakshi Amman temple.
Based on your interests, you may include a place or two in this itinerary.
4th day can be used for driving back from Madurai to Pune (one long drive). Else, on Day 3 leave Madurai after lunch and then stay the night in Bangalore/ Tumkur.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 17:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

@MX6 - Agree with you. Since he can extend a day, he can probably cover Tanjore, Pillayarpatti, Rameshwaram and Madurai. Trichy temples can be skipped for this trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks