Team-BHP - Route Help: Hyderabad - Goa - Udupi - Bangalore - Hyderabad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Route Help: Hyderabad - Goa - Udupi - Bangalore - Hyderabad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/111573-route-help-hyderabad-goa-udupi-bangalore-hyderabad.html)

Hi,

I am taking a break from work for one week. So wanted to do some travelling.

The route i want to take is:

Hyderabad - Solapur - Hubli - Goa - Kollur - Udupi - Bangalore - Hyderabad.

Want to spend 3 days in Goa, 1 day in Bangalore. Would like to visit the Mookambika temple in Kollur and Krishna temple in Udupi.

So plan is something like below :

Day 1: Hyderabad - Solapur - Bijapur Hubli night halt. (570 Kms)
Day 2: Hubli - Goa (155 Kms )
Day 3,4,5: Goa
Day 6 : Goa - Udupi with halt at Kollur for temple for few hours. (268 km to Kollur + 75 Kms for Udupi)
Day 7: Udupi - Bangalore (405 Kms)
Day 8: Bangalore
Day 9: Bangalore - Hyderabad (572 Kms)

I have only done the Bangalore Hyd route earlier, will be the single driver for the trip. Want to stick to the National Highways as much as possible

So have lot of queries on this plan.

1. Is above a practical plan.
2. What are the road conditions on any of the above routes.
3. Where can i stay in Hubli, Udupi and Goa.
4. What is the terrain in Goa to Udupi ? Is it hilly ? I have done Otty, Mudumali, Leh so can some one give a comparison.
5. Must see places in the route and locations
6. Want to do some water sport in Goa, what is a good location in Goa

All suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Moderators please relocate the thread if this is not the correct sub form.

Quote:

Originally Posted by changaez (Post 2590106)

Day 1: Hyderabad - Solapur - Bijapur Hubli night halt. (570 Kms)
Day 2: Hubli - Goa (155 Kms )
Day 3,4,5: Goa
Day 6 : Goa - Udupi with halt at Kollur for temple for few hours. (268 km to Kollur + 75 Kms for Udupi)
Day 7: Udupi - Bangalore (405 Kms)
Day 8: Bangalore
Day 9: Bangalore - Hyderabad (572 Kms)

3. Where can i stay in Hubli, Udupi and Goa.
4. What is the terrain in Goa to Udupi ? Is it hilly ? I have done Otty, Mudumali, Leh so can some one give a comparison.
6. Want to do some water sport in Goa, what is a good location in Goa

- The plan is practical. One change instead of Hyd-Solapur-Hubli, you should do Hyd-Humnabad-Bijapur-Hubli (Use of Nh218). NH218 is a much better 2L road.
- Hubli-Goa I assume you would be going via Ankola. NH63/NH17
- Goa-Udupi NH17 is not in a good state in and around South Karnataka. Do account for more time for your drive. The terrain in hilly plus ground level, but not as difficult as the Masinagudi route to Ooty.
- On the first you can also visit the Bijapur fort. On the Goa-Udupi route you can also visit Gokarna and Murdeshwar temples.
- On the Udupi-Bangalore route there are many options, depending which route you plan to take. The best one as of now is via Shiradi.
Udupi-Karkala-Shiradi-Hassan-Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by changaez (Post 2590106)
Hi,

I have only done the Bangalore Hyd route earlier, will be the single driver for the trip. Want to stick to the National Highways as much as possible

So have lot of queries on this plan.

Is there a reason you want to take the Hyd - Solapur - Hubli - Goa route?
Hyderabad Sholapur is not in a good shape especially in the Karnataka Region. Additionally it is quite long.

Hyd - Mahboobnagar - Raichur - Gangawati - Hubli - Goa should be a better alternative in terms of distance although some of the route is not in great shape and most of it is 2 laned highways only. Night or day time, this is a safe route IMO.

Why do you want to Halt at Hubli when you can directly reach Goa and halt there at night. This would save a day and give you one extra day at Goa.

I cannot answer all your questions, but some I can definitely help:
1. Single Driver is enough if you are experienced and can drive for 12 hours.
2. Roads are Good in most parts but bad in some parts. Nowhere are the roads so broken that a Car cannot travel. Any car can make through all of these roads.
4. Terrain is mostly Ghat section. but not so much as Ooty. IF you have driven in Ooty and Leh this should be a breeze. Although you encounter a lot of rash drivers especially near Goa. (may be it is just my experience)

Places to visit: There are multiple beaches information about which you can find in internet.

However if you have time say 2 days, do check out Dandeli River forest on the banks of River Kali. It is very close to Goa. One other place can be Karwar (it is a beach to south of Goa).

@ampere: Thanks, i will take the Hyd - Humnabad - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Hubli.

To go to Goa, how is Hubli - Belgam - Goa ? or can i drive via Kali River Basin Forest

Only reason of not wanting to do Hubli-Goa via Ankola. NH63/NH17 is, i will anyway do that stretch on the way to Udupi.

Will take care of the time for Goa - Udupi route.

@himavanth_m : No particular reason for choosing, "Hyd - Solapur - Hubli - Goa", just wanted to stick to highways. I have already done the "Hyd - Mahboobnagar - Raichur - Gangawati" route while going to Hampi.

So i guess i will take the "Hyd - Humnabad - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Hubli" as per ampere, would be a new road :).

Google maps is showing 12 hours for the Hyd - Goa, so thought of halting at Hubli to make the drive more relaxed and may be spend some time at Bijapur fort :). But you have a valid point of another day at Goa, may be i will decide on the fly.

I am planning to keep some buffer while driving to Udupi, so may be can cover Karwar or will drive to Karwar or Dandeli River forest during my stay at Goa. Thanks for the points

Quote:

Originally Posted by changaez

To go to Goa, how is Hubli - Belgam - Goa ? or can i drive via Kali River Basin Forest

Only reason of not wanting to do Hubli-Goa via Ankola. NH63/NH17 is, i will anyway do that stretch on the way to Udupi.

@himavanth_m : No particular reason for choosing, "Hyd - Solapur - Hubli - Goa", just wanted to stick to highways. I have already done the "Hyd - Mahboobnagar - Raichur - Gangawati" route while going to Hampi.

So i guess i will take the "Hyd - Humnabad - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Hubli" as per ampere, would be a new road :).

Google maps is showing 12 hours for the Hyd - Goa, so thought of halting at Hubli to make the drive more relaxed and may be spend some time at Bijapur fort :). But you have a valid point of another day at Goa, may be i will decide on the fly.

I am planning to keep some buffer while driving to Udupi, so may be can cover Karwar or will drive to Karwar or Dandeli River forest during my stay at Goa. Thanks for the points

I would reccomend the solapur route if its a relaxed drive.hyd to goa is a 15hr drive irrespective of the route you choose.you could do a night stopovr either at solapur or at kolhapur depending on your time of departure from hyd.if you drive one stretch to goa its a waste of a night in the hotel at goa as you would be dead tired by the time you reach,from kolhapur go via nipani uttur ajra amboli sawantwadi goa.hyd solapur is 5hrs,solapur kolhapur is 4 hours,kolhapur panjim is another 4hours.

@ranjitp1 : The idea is to keep it relaxed and not really push to cover time/distance, but if gets to 15 hours i really don't want to do it in one strech.

I probably would start early in the morning from Hyd, so i figured even if i stop for some time at Bijapur fort and for lunch at Bijapur, it would give me enough time to get to Hubli by sundown. Hubli is only 155 kms from Goa so it should not take more than 4 hours.

Although i planned originally via Solapur, lot of people are complaining on the Hyd - Solapur stretch.. so little pessimistic at the moment about Solapur.

Night is a strict No No for me, i really don't enjoy driving under the headlights of trucks and Volvos.

Thanks

One piece of advice the Goa-Udipi stretch is a real mess and is literally like the moon's surface so don't expect anything less than a 7hr drive!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by changaez (Post 2590248)

I thought Hubli was a requirement. If its not then you can also go via Kolhapur/Solapur.
This is the option which every one takes. If you want to go via Hubli, the sole reason being to drive through Kali river basin, then the best/short option is :

Hubli/Dharward/Haliyal/Dandeli/Ramnagar/Anmod/Ponda/Goa.
But that stretch though one of the most beautiful, is not good to drive.
This distance over all from Hyderabad to Goa is the same as the one
via Kolhapur/Amboli.

To answer your question of Hubli/Ankola, you wont be taking that section while going to Udupi from Goa. Its the Konkan highway all the way.
(The the 150km of Hubli-Ankola is a beautiful drive which joins NH4 to NH17 and it cuts through the ghats. And this road is very good)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2590302)
I thought Hubli was a requirement. If its not then you can also go via Kolhapur/Solapur.
This is the option which every one takes. If you want to go via Hubli, the sole reason being to drive through Kali river basin, then the best/short option is :

+1 to Ampere. If you want to go via Kali River Basin, then only I would suggest the Solapur route.
I personally do not prefer this route because of the bad roads especially in Karnataka. However, the route in Kali river basin is awesome and make sure you drive during the day time.

@ampere : I really liked the idea of Hubli/Dharward/Haliyal/Dandeli/Ramnagar/Anmod/Ponda/Goa route.

As per the map i like Hubli/Dharward/Haliyal/Kurandi/Ramnagar/Anmod/Ponda/Goa route

In the map Kurandi seems to be near the Supa Dam Reservoir.

@pranava999: Thanks i will account for the time in the planning

@himavanth_m : I am not planning to do any night driving. Start morning from Hubli reach mid day in Goa :)

Superb suggestions everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by changaez (Post 2590705)
@ampere : I really liked the idea of Hubli/Dharward/Haliyal/Dandeli/Ramnagar/Anmod/Ponda/Goa route.

As per the map i like Hubli/Dharward/Haliyal/Kurandi/Ramnagar/Anmod/Ponda/Goa route

In the map Kurandi seems to be near the Supa Dam Reservoir.

I think there is a direct route to Gameshgudi from Haliyal which bypasses even Dandeli.
I have not driven on that stretch, hence I have no idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2590875)
I think there is a direct route to Gameshgudi from Haliyal which bypasses even Dandeli.
I have not driven on that stretch, hence I have no idea.

Yes the Google Maps shows the same, i am thinking of giving it a shot :). I will check with the locals there on the route if required. Thanks a ton ampere!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by changaez (Post 2590934)
Yes the Google Maps shows the same, i thinking of giving it shot :). I will check the locals there on the route if required. Thanks a ton ampere!!!!!!!

Hope this would be of some help. Check with @airguitar.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...a-kannada.html

This update might come in handy for you

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2590683

@ranjitp1 : Thanks i will check that also