Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 00:02   #1

The Birthday Present - Bangalore Weekend Getaway

Hey Guys,

My girlfriend's birthday is around the corner, in fact, a couple of weeks later, and there is the classic male dilemma : The Birthday Present

Being hopelessly unfamiliar with refined feminine playthings like perfumes and body creams and whathaveyous, I have decided to gift her a ride instead. Its right up my alley, and Im reasonably certain I cant muck this one up.

We re both in Bangalore, and the time frame for this shortish ride would be about 3 days, i.e. 14 - 16 January. The choice is between Gokarna and Pondicherry - I have decided to give Ooty and Coorg a miss because they are too touristy, and its mostly families which frequent these towns.

I ve been told that there is a place called Paradise Beach outside of Pondi, which rents out tree-houses right on the beach. Gokarna has its own charm I reckon, with four popular beaches and some nice treks.

I will list down the defining criteria, and then you guys could maybe tell me how each place fares on these parameters. That would help me make this choice -

1) The ride should be scenic; possibly with light traffic.
2) We are both good swimmers, so a nice clean beach with clear water, maybe a shack nearby that serves seafood and beer would really make it worthwhile. Also, any sorts of watersports thrown in would be added plus.
3) Should be rather isolated; not too touristy, and even if there are many tourists around ( given its a weekend), I d rather it be people in our age strata ( 20 - 30 s) than families.
4) Nice scenic places to ride around; or to explore on a ferry.
5) Maybe a nice party scene, or is it too much to ask ? Please dont tell me to bugger off to Goa instead.
6) Budget - 10 k ish, could extend if necessary.

Also, which place to stay would you recommend in each of these places ? It could be a bit offbeat as well ( such as the tree houses in Pondi), I guess that ll make the experience more memorable.

And one final thing, Could anyone please tell me where I could rent a RE Thunderbird in Bangalore, preferrably with saddle bags. I had one in Delhi, but I sold it off before coming here. Im left with my trusted Pulsar 220, but methinks it would not be very comfy with a pillion.

Feel free to chip in with any other pointers you can throw my way guys, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers
Old 4th January 2012, 02:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Birthday Present - Bangalore Weekend Getaway

I believe that here are a few other getaways that you could consider. Conoor/The Nilgiri Hills, and then you have Coorg which is a great getaway too. And if you can afford it, I highly recommend River-Tern Lodges, that is situated off the Bhadravati Dam. Hugely enjoyable.

However, going by your suggestion, you seem inclined towards beaches. Problem with Goa & Gokarna is that you'll need to sacrifice an entire day in just travelling, and when you have a 3-day window, I don't see it as a very feasible prospect for you. Pondi is a better bet.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox101 View Post
Hey Guys,
1) The ride should be scenic; possibly with light traffic.
2) We are both good swimmers, so a nice clean beach with clear water, maybe a shack nearby that serves seafood and beer would really make it worthwhile. Also, any sorts of watersports thrown in would be added plus.
3) Should be rather isolated; not too touristy, and even if there are many tourists around ( given its a weekend), I d rather it be people in our age strata ( 20 - 30 s) than families.
4) Nice scenic places to ride around; or to explore on a ferry.
5) Maybe a nice party scene, or is it too much to ask ? Please dont tell me to bugger off to Goa instead.
6) Budget - 10 k ish, could extend if necessary.
Feel free to chip in with any other pointers you can throw my way guys, I would really appreciate it.
1.Pondicherry route is 4 laned with a lot of traffic. Quite scenic too. However I would rate Gokharna route more scenic but the road condition is nowhere comparable to pondicherry route.
2. Pondicherry has better options here. But Gokharna is not too far behind in terms of all this.
3. Well Pondicherry is very touristy and Gokharna too is poking up now a days. Pondicherry is better for 20s to 30s age.
4. From pondicherry you can explore Pichavaram forests.
Link to travelogue from our team-bhp
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...10-2010-a.html
5. Not at all sure about parties. But in Gokharna it is a more difficult to fine any parties would be my guess
6. Pondicherry will be a little bit more expensive but I think you can stay within 10k for two at good accommodation.

As far as other options are concerned, why dont you give it a shot to go to Thirthahalli ( I would not prefer to here in a bike though).
You get a river to swim to. YOu can get beer into your room from outside, it is secluded so no one will disturb you (no parties at all). it is in a forest.
Hope my travelogue on this will be of some help for you
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ll-2-days.html
We went in a group, but it is perfect for couples.

As for bike, I would suggest no, because the pillion rider will have a horrid time for any drive in excess of 150kms.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox101 View Post
Hey Guys,

My girlfriend's birthday is around the corner, in fact, a couple of weeks later, and there is the classic male dilemma : The Birthday Present

Cheers
Pondy and east coast ruled out due to recent cyclone.

Here are few options

a) Swaswara in Gokarna is a fabulous place. By CGH group known for their excellent properties in Kerala. Road to Gokarna via Hubli is very good.

b) Lalit in Cancona in South Goa is another beautiful and quiet place. Very spacious rooms and beautiful beach. If you want bit of party scene then you can always go to Palolem which is closeby.

c) Lalit again in Bekal near Mangalore which has excellent beach.

d) Fringeford in Wayanad - A beautiful place in the middle of hills.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:08   #5
BHPian

Also take a note that , it is long weekend in Tamilnadu due Farmer festival (Pongal) so Pondi might be crowded with lot of families around.

Regards
Old 4th January 2012, 16:38   #6
BHPian

Its either Coorg or Pondy, in that order, given the time and criteria you have.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks